MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question for the group...workshop manual and engine manual have a different procedure for changing oil. Workshop manual simply says to drain, replace filter, fill, run. Engine manual states that after you fill, you need to pull fuse 1 and crank the engine for several seconds to circulate oil prior to starting.

Is the cranking step really necessary? Do they only do that because in the engine manual they go through draining the oil radiator? I change my oil often enough where im not going to fiddle with pulling the radiator each time. No problem with pulling the fuse as it's not much work, but just curious if anyone knows the reason.

Unrelated to that, does anyone presoak the filter prior to installing? I was always taught to pre-fill a filter before installing, but thats a little tough with a cartridge like this. Wondering if a pre-soak would help at all.

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
Your filter lives in the oil sump and is saturated there. NO need to presoak like pre-filling a spin on filter.
Pulling the fuse and spinning the engine to prime the oil system is also really unnecessary with modern oils that leave a long lasting film on surfaces.
JMHO

Reactions: Glenno

·
Old Wing Nut
24,885 Posts
I do not pre-fill oil filters. I do not disable fuel pumps to distribute oil in the engine after an oil change....on any brand bike.
I know some will take exception to this...but it's what I have been doing since 1970 with no worries.

However....when I have just installed a rebuilt or repaired motor that is totally dry other than assembly lube I WILL spin the engine with fuel supply disabled to check oil supply to the top end.

But for routine maintenance...nah. :geek:

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Same here. Never pull the fuse for an oil change. I do if I have had the oil dropped for a period of time. But no science in that. Just tin foil hat.
Can't pre fill any of my oil filters because they are all spin on with the opening horizontal to the ground.

·
Old Wing Nut
24,885 Posts
@Glenno, you can actually fill those spin on filters. They incorporate a back flow check valve so oil is held inside all but the central passage. It is messy....but I see guys do it all the time thinking it is an essential safe guard. It is not.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
@Glenno, you can actually fill those spin on filters. They incorporate a back flow check valve so oil is held inside all but the central passage. It is messy....but I see guys do it all the time thinking it is an essential safe guard. It is not.
Thanks mate, I wondered if the valve would work like that. But as you said not needed. Have never done it on any bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dumb question for the group...workshop manual and engine manual have a different procedure for changing oil. Workshop manual simply says to drain, replace filter, fill, run. Engine manual states that after you fill, you need to pull fuse 1 and crank the engine for several seconds to circulate oil prior to starting.

Is the cranking step really necessary? Do they only do that because in the engine manual they go through draining the oil radiator? I change my oil often enough where im not going to fiddle with pulling the radiator each time. No problem with pulling the fuse as it's not much work, but just curious if anyone knows the reason.

Unrelated to that, does anyone presoak the filter prior to installing? I was always taught to pre-fill a filter before installing, but thats a little tough with a cartridge like this. Wondering if a pre-soak would help at all.
Looks like you got all your questions answered, but thought I would share the video I posted a few days ago about changing the oil and filter:
How to change the oil and filter for MV Agusta Brutale & Dragster

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts