MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the belts and and an oil change of the Ducati yesterday so given Spring is round the corner in the UK decided I would treat the MV to some nice oil and a filter. Motul 7100 10w 60 no less. All went well filled her back up, started her, red light flicked out, ticked over for 15 secs and then went to check fill glass. To my horror there was a red pool of oil getting bigger across the garage floor. Nightmare.....mopped it up best I could then had a look at the MV.

Unscrewed the filter only to realise the filter before had left it's rubber gasket on the engine and I had in the dim light of the garage not seen this and then screwed the new one on top! It obviously kinked it out of sight when I checked and then blew the oil out. New oil ordered, bike put back under it's cover. What a morning.:surprise:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Join the club with that one. I've done exactly the same on a Suzuki, dumped oil on the floor, and I've been working on my car control arms and not noticed that I've accidently slipped one of the drive shafts out of the gearbox thus dumping the entire gearbox oil on the floor. the smell gave it away.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I know someone who didn't catch the mistake in time and smoked an engine on a test drive. that didn't end well. your not alone and the old gasket is on my check list every time I change oil. good thing you got it in time. He'll of a learning curve right !

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
Amazing how a small amount of oil can make hell of a mess.I feel sorry for you.But you will never make that mistake again.:crying:

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1 Fortunately my "Learning Experience" was on an old Ford V8. The oil lost was not Motul. Ouch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad I am not alone on this! New Motul oil arrived topped up the bike, checked for leaks. Started her up...lots of smoke for a few mins with the sprayed oil burning off (thought I'd cleared it off the bike) and then went out for a great ride for about 30miles, cold but sunny and dry....lovely.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
?

use a Purolator PL-14612 .......
1. it's the best filter made that fits a 1st Gen MV
2. the flat seal stays on the filter
3. it costs 1/3rd what the shitty factory filter does

:wink2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts