MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, prior to Synthetic oil (implies mixes and pure) use by the general consumer, I used to change the oil/filter every 3,000 miles (motorcycle). When the Synthetics became commercially available and "popular" to use, oil change intervals increased (for vehicles). Why hasn't that trend follow the motorcycle industry?

During my on-line research, I came across the following documented oil research. Granted, it's for a vehicle, but it helps demonstrates the point.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/380291-official-blackstone-uoa-thread.html

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I think high revving motorcycle engines fall into the Heavy use category. I change mine every 3000-3500 miles. One thing I notice is the transmission would get a little notchy when the oil got old. I haven't had that problem though since my last oil change (motul).

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
I think I may change my oil and filter too often. Hard habit to break.
Every 2,000 kilometers, that's every 1,200 miles. I'm also using Motul. 15-50 Semi-synthetic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told to change the oil at 3000 miles or every 6 months which ever comes first. The combination of wet clutch fibres mixed in the oil does not help either.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Most cars do highway miles, not 0 to 100 to 0 every 15 minutes. Or maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Cars don't use motor oil to lubricate transmission gears or wet clutches. The molecular structure that allows an oil - synthetic or otherwise - to be "multigrade" is HUGE as molecules go .... wet clutches and transmissions tear them apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts