MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine on my brutale 750 started to overheat in traffic on Saturday. Blinking temp gauge, got up to 234*F. Figured I might as well flush the coolant since it's a used bike and I don't know what condition the fluids are in, and while I'm at it I planned to install the impeller upgrade (Pro Italia has it for around $200, and they're local to me).

Drained coolant, it looked very clean. When I pulled the water pump out to get to the bolts to remove the impeller, oil started dripping into the chamber where the water pump shaft inserts. This may sound like a stupid question to some... but is that normal, or did I just uncover a problem I need to investigate?

Has me pretty nervous at the moment, but hopefully that's just paranoia for no reason

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
I expect some other members will add their comments, but it seems normal to have that oil behind the pump.
Mine was the same when I took it out to rebuild with new bearings and seals

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys, I was unable to find anything about removing the water pump in any of the workshop manuals figuring they'd say whether there would be oil present behind there.

Joe--where in North Hollywood are you? I'm in Echo Park

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'd be shocked at what you can find on the forum if you have a look around - http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107834 :stickpoke
Yeah, I have all the manuals downloaded that apply to my bike and removing the water pump isn't covered anywhere in detail that I could find. But now that I'm re-reading foguete4's impeller installation write-up (http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36945), when I look closely at the second photo I can now see a bit of oil in there. Sorry I missed it the first time through.

Picking up the updated MV impeller tomorrow morning and I'll get it all buttoned up with new coolant (either distilled water w/ Water Wetter, or Engine Ice. Haven't decided yet). Was running dist water w/ MoCool on my SV and it kept the engine temp really stable, but on the most recent coolant change on that bike there was a lot of gunk that makes me question the MoCool's corrosion inhibitor

·
Registered
14,406 Posts
Chris;
you want to come down to Redondo Beach and use my shop? this weekend? Joe has been here

you don't need to remove the shaft to change the impeller either

give me a call :drummer:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris;
you want to come down to Redondo Beach and use my shop? this weekend? Joe has been here

you don't need to remove the shaft to change the impeller either

give me a call :drummer:
Sent you a PM

I actually saw your mention in another thread about not needing to remove the pump shaft. Thanks for that heads up. With that in mind I examined the parts fiche and the pump when I took it out, it looks pretty straight forward (famous last words, right?) to hold the shaft with a flathead and break the impeller loose

1 - 11 of 11 Posts