MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
21,089 Posts
In what model bike???? I only use 10-60 in my 4 cylinder MVs.

I would not use 5-40, regardless of temps. Your engine gets hot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the hotter the thicker, not the other way around.

That said, viscosity is not everything when it comes to wear protection, but 40 has a viscosity of around 14 mm²/s und 60 a viscosity of around 24 mm²/s at 100°C (212°F).
It always depends how the engine is constructed, stick to the recommended index, otherwise under high temperatures and heavy load your oil film can tear off at high rpms.
Too thick oil can cause this problem also.
MV recommends for the F4:
MOTUL 7100 4T 10W-60
– Consistent with: API SN - SM – Consistent with: JASO MA2 – SAE Rating: SAE 10W-60 o 20W-50

·
Registered
9 Posts
Due to the fact, that EZcomes referred to 10W-60 as recommended oil i assumed he is talking about a F4.
For the Brutale 800 this is the recommended oil:
Consistent with: API SN / SM – Consistent with: JASO MA2 – SAE Rating: SAE 5W40
I personally use the recommended Motul 7100 4T 5W40.

·
Administrator
21,089 Posts
Just checking... this is the 3-cylinder forum?
That is why I asked him what bike..... Would be nice if everyone had their bikes listed in a signature line.

My bad for never looking at the section posted in...I just look at the posts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I apologize for the confusion.

This is for F3, I normally change with 5W-40 then recently downloaded a .PDF file from MV says that I could use 10W-60 ... thus, I try to get some inputs before actual change.

Yes and the correct oil for the triples is 5W40

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
@EZcomes - Early on, when the triples were first introduced, there was some bleed over from the 4 cylinder manual into the 3 cylinder manual. It was an editing error.

Use 5W40 in your F3.

Reactions: EZcomes

·
Registered
173 Posts
5W is more like a Winter oil, most of the dealers I know usually use 15w50 and for some older big V's 20w50. My last service on my MV was done with a 10w40 which I changed after as the lady was burning oil during summer.

cheers

mjvduc

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You mean, running on 10w-40 your bike lost some oil ?

5W is more like a Winter oil, most of the dealers I know usually use 15w50 and for some older big V's 20w50. My last service on my MV was done with a 10w40 which I changed after as the lady was burning oil during summer.

cheers

mjvduc

·
Registered
173 Posts
You mean, running on 10w-40 your bike lost some oil ?
it did not lose it, it burned more oil than usual. I am not a casual rider which goes on trips every weekend, so my riding is going back and from work plus some detours if time permits. A month is around 2500km so with the 10w40 she was burning 1/4 liter during July, after I changed tall my bikes to a 15w/50 except the 2 Ducs and the consumption dropped to 150ml for the following 3 months.

cheers

mjvduc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts