MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped the shock for an Ohlins or Penske.
I called Ohlins USA and they don't have a specific part #.
Is there a cross reference from another bike that fits?
Penske can make one but you have to figure out the res mount.

Thanks,
Mako
04 F4S Brutale

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Ok, I gotta ask "why?"

Is the stock spring wrong for you? Are you bottoming, or are there problems with turn-in? The stock system has so many adjustments, unless you need a different spring on it.

Just curious why you'd want to switch?

I have seen an F4 with an Ohlins, so it is possible to fit one.

Alex

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Same thing with he fork...I think the sheer size of the forks, you'de go Ohlins and get flex :laughing:

I think thi' prolly the only bike on the market, where Ohlins = a step down

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an Ohlins rear on my SPR. I will look at the box it came in and post the part number for you later this weekend. It was a custom order from Ohlins USA.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments guys.

As for why.........If you've never ridden Ohlin's or Penske then don't (if your happy with your current set-up) cause it's like night and day. The ride will be so much more compliant yet be more stable at speed.

Still haven't found the Ohlin's part # but have decided to go with Penske anyway. I kinda like the fact that it is't so bling as the gold on the Ohlin's.

Evolutione is going to make me a custom resovior mount since Penske doesn't make a piggyback that fits. Then they are going to put in Penske internals in the stock forks. $1500 parts + labor.

I'll post the resluts in a couple of weeks when it's all done.

Mako
04 Brutale S
02 RSV-R
90 FZR 400

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Makomoto said:
Thanks for the comments guys.

As for why.........If you've never ridden Ohlin's or Penske then don't (if your happy with your current set-up) cause it's like night and day. The ride will be so much more compliant yet be more stable at speed.

Still haven't found the Ohlin's part # but have decided to go with Penske anyway. I kinda like the fact that it is't so bling as the gold on the Ohlin's.

Evolutione is going to make me a custom resovior mount since Penske doesn't make a piggyback that fits. Then they are going to put in Penske internals in the stock forks. $1500 parts + labor.

I'll post the resluts in a couple of weeks when it's all done.

Mako
04 Brutale S
02 RSV-R
90 FZR 400
i've had ohlins. i changed to it to make my suspension LESS compliant. on two different bikes, the stock shock was causing me problems with weight transfer when getting on the gas and braking. the ohlins had a spring that was better for my weight (220 w/gear) and gave me better handling at the track. and the damper seemes to hold up when the temps start going up.

on the street, the ohlins sucked. too stiff.

imho, the mv is friggin' stiff already. i have yet to get it on the track, but i expect that it will be plenty firm for me.

again, just wanted to know.

alex

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I'd get the Ohlins.

I know someone in italy that had some to sell for a very good price (all of them new)
If you want me to check that let me know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Altoon........Did you buy the Ohlins off the shelf ? Or have someone build it for you ? There is a big difference. Off the shelf, the spring rate might be right for your weight and riding needs but your still going to have to play around with the comp and rebound to get it to feel "right" ( compliant over the crud and edges, potholes.........yet firm........not too much squatting in the rear of diving in the front )
If you have it built your going to have it much closer to your needs. The right spring, valving, and the setting very close to what you need.

Next time you do a track day have the local suspension guy have a look.
Probably get a few tips for free that will make a huge difference in feel.

Mako
04 Brutale S
02 RSV-R
90 FZR 400

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is all the codes off my Ohlins rear shock.

MV Agusta F4 #46PRCB

CA 805.112513

1PCA 805

List Price $1,599.95 (Not what I paid) - Purchase thru Ohlins USA

Hope this helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the codes 3Dogs !!
Good info for others that are looking to make the swap.
I'm guessing the Ohlins went for just under 1K.
I went the Penske rout. Didn't get the triple adjustable since i'm not racing. The double adjustable, sprung and valved for me was $800.
Should be here in the next couple of days.
I'll post pic's of the custom remote reservoir mount.

Mako
04 Brutale S
02 RSV-R
90 FZR 400

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
oicdn said:
Same thing with he fork...I think the sheer size of the forks, you'de go Ohlins and get flex :laughing:

I think thi' prolly the only bike on the market, where Ohlins = a step down
AAMOF, Munroe Motors swapped the stock Marzocchis for Ohlins on Chuck Sorensen's MV race bike....

pics here...

munroe motors

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
There is one more you should consider, though I don't have any experience with them. Wilbers Race shocks are rebuildable, 5 year warranty and can be customized. I saw it at the Bike show and was impressed with the appearance. Nice thing about it is the easy adjustment of ride height. http://wilbersusa.com/wilbers/images/Products/Shocks/thumbs/Image5.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts