MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just picked up my new (leftover) 05 F4S today... I noticed that the Ohlins damper on the the F4 when set to the stiffest setting doesn't even come close to the stiffness of the Ohlins on my 06 749R when set to the stiffest setting :confused:

Should they not be the same??

Thanks

Joe D.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
i have noticed the same thing, thats why i keep mine on the stiffest setting. my buddy has a ohlins damper on his suzuki and its hardest setting is atleast 2 to 3 times stiffer than mine.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
I have found the same on my 2005 1000F4 so I went into my local dealer and tried a brand new 1000R and that wasn't too immpresive either, certainly no different to my 2005 model with 4000mls on the clock.

I also ride Ducati's from time to time and I recon its fair to say that the Duke is loaded heavier on the front end than the MV so with the steering being heavier to start with this will affect the Ohlins for sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wonder why they do that? I mean make the Ohlins so soft on MVs? Very strange. So what's there to do? I think when time comes to service them, which I belive is every 6K miles, you guys should have your service center fill it up with heavier weight oil which will make it alot stiffer.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
don't think it's a good idea to compare machines and their respective parts. especially aftermarket vs. stock. i'd have to believe that some research and feedback went into picking the damper for the MV. could be that it doesn't need any more than what the stock piece requires. the front end on a MV is different that ANY other bike out there. surely a gixxer. no other bike has such massive forks and triple clamp. i used to run full stiff. it was a security feeling that i woudln't have a tank slapper more than anything. now i've backed the setting off a bit and like it much better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
style_one ... Well, then again, every company out there including Suzuki do their multi million dollar research and then put the bikes together with the proper components, including the OEM Gsxr's steering dampener. But then I buy the bike, rip off the OEM dampener, toss it in the trash, and replace it with Ohlins. It doesnt matter how thick or thin your forks or triple tree is!
Same thing applies to the MV's.. They put one there, but not stiff enough. So either you buy a stiffer universal Ohlins dampener or service the current one with a heavier weight oil.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
if that what suits your needs. i still say that sitting on one bike or the next and comparing the dampers isn't a good gauge. i've NEVER heard anyone (not that there's a HUGE community) say that the MV front end is squirrly. however, steering damper or not, plenty of other bikes get that comment. end the end it comes down to each riders tastes and what makes them feel comfortable. wonder what Ferracci is using on matt and lucas bike. stock or upgraded.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
The 1000 S and R damper is a lot weaker than the std Ohlins damper on my early 750, that would virtually lock the steering :jsm:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
wonder if it has anything to do with the 1mm increase in fork tube size? if both of them are alot weaker, i'd assume it's for a reason other than just bad batch of dampers?

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Yes I totaly agree with you, I owned an early 750 (2000) and a 2005 1000F4 at the same time for quite a while and the dampers are different, the 1000 F4 is very weak, but as I say it does feel the same as a brand new 1000R in the showroom

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I think that if you wound the 750 steering damper all the way up you would fall off at the first corner you came to :jsm: maybe something along those lines happened? certainly the 1000 damper won't stop the flapping bars when i'm om a bit of a mission down a bumpy road

·
Banned
147 Posts
maybe you guys should take my friend kneenelbowdraggers advice, and send your damper in for a serivce, and have them load a heavier weight oil in there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts