MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a beautiful sunny day here today, so I organised a few mates to do a midday run up the mountains.
I get ready as I allways do. I park my bike in the same spot in my driveway I have parked all my bikes over the last 10years. I have it warming up nicely. I go to shut the garage door and I hear that sickening crash sound.
My bike has idled it's way off the side stand and crashed down on the pebble drive way. AAAARRRGGGHHHH.

Now, you really find out how heavy these babies are, buggered if I could get it up. I hear a postman coming on his little honda, I flag him down and comes to help. After the shock horror of seeing an MV laying in the driveway he helps me get it up.

Lucky I had fitted fixed peg rear sets as they saved any damage to the rear of the bike. It was on the left side so the engine cover bolts sticking out took most of that damage along with the bar ends. Only a few scratches on the base of the fairing. Hey the mirror didn't even touch down.

It could have been much worse. :banghead:

So lesson learnt, don't have the bike idling on the side stand on an uneven surface...even though I have done it hundreds of times.

I didn't end up going for a ride after all, just thought I would share my story so some other poor soul can prevent that.

Cheers

·
Registered
617 Posts
So sorry to hear this story! Like you said, it could have been much worse and it's only a couple of marks. You didn't get hurt and the bike can be repaired.

Sure is a bummer though! I feel for you.

Brian

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
ouch! yeah, i don't even like parking my bike on uneven surfaces, let alone have it sit there idling. i hope everything gets fixed soon!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
That must be a sickening sight. One I hope I never see with my bike.

I hope you get her patched up soon, although it sounds like there's not too much to patch up. I guess it always could have been worse, eh?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Can relate somewhat... five years ago a bike fell over in the garage. And it hit a bike, and it hit a bike, and... sickening. But it will pass, the bike will be OK, and it will be a distant memory -- a tale to retell or laugh it. But I know how you feel. But hey, a lot worse things can happen!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Major bad luck MVA:flat:

I did that to my Buell years back, warming it up on the side stand on a very slight slope. Hear the crash as I was pulling my lid on :green: .

I remember your post about those solid rearsets you installed for crash protection..nice move.

Hope you have back to A1 condition soon.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Ah,you are bringing back memories. I had a brand new Triumph Speed Triple. I thought I had put the side stand down correctly outside my garage. As I turned away from the bike, she slipped off the stand and headed over. I just about caught the other handle bar, but with my wrong arm which was weak after a motorcycle accident. I was holding onto the bike inches from the ground with the veins bulging in my head. I just layed her down on the floor. Getting the bugger up was a nightmare!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
what a bummer, sorry to hear about that. My 750 decided to pop into gear when it was idling in neutral - luckly I was on the bike when this happened.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
That sucks :nutkick: and you missed out on going for a ride too :nutkick: :nutkick: ...Did you check the side stand bolts to see if they were loose?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have a pebble driveway too and when warming or even standing without motor on, I put a big flat rock under the sidestand to level bike, keep it from sinking into the pebbles. I also stand there watching it closely because the bikes ALWAYS try to make a go for it just when you turn your back.

But dont feel too bad, years ago on a ninja I arrived home after a hot HOT houston ride (head felt like cooked egg). I got into driveway, shut off bike, dismounted, turned to remove my helmet (which was all I cared about at the moment) and heard *crash*. Yep, I had utterly forgotten to even put down the sidestand at all - I just got off and turned away - actually surprised it had balanced for about 5 seconds on its own. Oh, and being near a park playground, people observed this act of grace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts