MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my bike out for a decent ride and I just had new sprockets installed. Checked the bike over after the ride 2 teeth sheered at the top? I had Oem z40 installed which is alloy. Chain is not too tight and correctly adjusted. What could it be?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The OEM sprockets on a 750s are steel, not alloy. What make of sprocket is it? It may be faulty, certainly I would look to the supplier to replace it, a word of warning there are a number of cheap copy parts around which are a danger. Be careful, a lock up at speed could cause a lot of damage to both you and the bike.

jimboF4

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
You also may have been given the wrong chain pitch...520 v. 525.

·
Administrator
18,850 Posts
The OEM sprockets on a 750s are steel, not alloy.
jimboF4
The rear sprockets on my 750 SPR are alloy...all 3 choices. I purchased an OEM alternate rear sprocket for my 910R in a sale once, not realizing it was for a 750 and would not work. That sprocket was also alloy. (later sold at for a great price to another forum member).

So maybe some 750s had steel rear sprockets, but not in my experience.

I think Chuck may be on to one possibility. Very unusual to knock teeth off with new chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sprocket I had put on was OEM MV Agusta sprocket, and it's definitely alloy. The front appeared to me to be steel. The 2 teeth that were sneered have been sneered from the very top point and to the outer corner. If I knew how to post pictures I would show you guys.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
missing teeth?

msfc;
the diagonal shearing of teeth, is sprocket misalignment

there have been different chain lines used by MV (Italians are sloppy about chain lines)

somewhere you got mismatched parts

are you using the original style rear sprockets?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am using a direct replacement parts OEM. I bought the rear sprocket from Paul Feeney group brand new. The part was expertly matched to my bike.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I am using a direct replacement parts OEM. I bought the rear sprocket from Paul Feeney group brand new. The part was expertly matched to my bike.
I would tend to lean towards Silentservice 703's advice, Chain width (520-525). Then check what Noel said about alignment..

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
I would tend to lean towards Silentservice 703's advice, Chain pitch. Then check what Noel said about alignment..
Spiros;
the pitch is all the same 1/2", only the width changes 1/4"-5/16" (520-525)
you can run 525 on 520 sprockets, but not the other way around

msfc;
"expertly matched to my bike" by PFG might be a problem,
given their past issues:stickpoke

misaligned sprockets on new chain is the worst :jsm:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Spiros;
the pitch is all the same 1/2", only the width changes 1/4"-5/16" (520-525)
you can run 525 on 520 sprockets, but not the other way around

msfc;
"expertly matched to my bike" by PFG might be a problem,
given their past issues:stickpoke

misaligned sprockets on new chain is the worst :jsm:
I agree with you but PFG might of given him a wrong sprocket to suit his chain. I meant the width. i will edit now.Thanks Noel. Anyway im sure he will sort it out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My chain is an EK 520 and standard rear front sprockets. PFG no good? I am going back to my mechanic wed. Spiro who is your man in Oakleigh?

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
Don't all these bikes come with 525 width sprockets and chains standard? That would be wider than the EK 520 chain you have.

If that isn't the case, the Noel is probably right.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 750 EVO3, i got supplied an after market steel front sprocket from a well know online website supplier, it ended up snapping my chain and damaging the gearbox casting and rear sprocket beyond repair. The sprocket supplied was straight/flat compaired to the offset/bossed original, i never noticed upon installation, this forced the chain at an angle which looked and felt right upon installing. it was about 4-5mm offset. I did 100 miles before it overheated and snapped! That was hairy.
I sent the sprocket back but got knowhere claiming for the damage as I should have checked. My alloy (standard) rear sprocket was destoyed with a few teeth missing. Check out to see if its an after market or OEM front sprocket incase you have the same issue. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
What was the outcome of all of this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have ordered a brand new OEM front sprocket. It will be replaced with the current one this week. Took over 3 weeks to get to me as there were none left in Australia. I believe the original sprockets were OEM. Rear was replaced with OEM and front was left on due to supply of incorrect front sprocket (purchased from forum member). New front sprocket will be replaced this week. Whilst bike is at the shop I will see what could possibly be the problem. Makes me nervous though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hmmmm, just changed my sprockets with Talon ones purchased from Design Corse, when I look along the chain it looks as if it's out 5mm compared to the chain guide on the frame and real close to a bolt hold near the front sprocket!

Taking it back tomorrow to get the garage to check the alignment, suspect it might be the same as Evo Chris's issue!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered my front sprocket OEM from Peter Stevens. Four weeks later they send it via mail to my mechanic. Bring the bike in crack open the mail, they sent the wrong item FML!!! Fingers crossed it can be rectified asap. But I am strictly running OEM front and rear. The sheared teeth are the likely result of the bike flicking something into the chain and it getting caught and causing that damage. We can't find anything else wrong? Previous running gear all OEM and 30k old with no problems. New running gear is all OEM and x ring chain update. I am of course praying to the bike Gods that it all works out fine, cause I don't want to write myself or my bike off due to chain and sprocket failure (touch wood).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts