MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my local dealer install a replacement dashboard under warranty due to an issue with mine on my 2016 F4rr. When I got the bike back I noticed the odometer was reset to zero and I get the km to service warning again for the first service.
I am wondering if they should be able to get the actual kms that were on the bike back so the service interval reminders on the dash are accurate? Or am I stuck keeping track of it myself based upon what was on the bike prior to bringing it to the shop?

Thanks,
DJ

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
I am sure the dealer won't be able to change the reading.
You will have to record the mileage yourself.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can easily access the service menu at the dash and adjust the service mileage.
For what I can recall it's just hold both buttons pressed for ten seconds with only ignition on.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When a odometer is replaced I thought the dealer was supposed to put a sticker somewhere on the vehicle to say it has been replaced and the milage of the old unit should be written on this label.

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
When a odometer is replaced I thought the dealer was supposed to put a sticker somewhere on the vehicle to say it has been replaced and the milage of the old unit should be written on this label.
They are supposed to....but many bike dealers do not even know they should.

There are auto meter service shops that can change odometer readings....but it is VERY illegal for them to reduce an odometer reading. There is a shop in the Atlanta GA USA area that can reset odometers on some bike meters, but not all.

As stated earlier, the maintenance intervals can be set by the user (or dealer ).

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
They are supposed to....but many bike dealers do not even know they should.

There are auto meter service shops that can change odometer readings....but it is VERY illegal for them to reduce an odometer reading. There is a shop in the Atlanta GA USA area that can reset odometers on some bike meters, but not all.

As stated earlier, the maintenance intervals can be set by the user (or dealer ).

Interesting. I though the odo reading came from the ECU since it's not mechanical. In my car, I'm pretty sure if they replace the odometer the mileage remains the same. At least that is my understanding.

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Nope....The odometer maintains the memory. The ECM does not track that...in motorcycles, anyway. Pretty sure cars are the same way.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Nope....The odometer maintains the memory. The ECM does not track that...in motorcycles, anyway. Pretty sure cars are the same way.

Well, my car is a Mercedes so it's superior to most. :| :smile2: I know if I get a new cluster the dealer can set the mileage to what it was from one of the control units. Not sure which one.

I understand, at least in Mercedes, since the mileage is stored in the ECU (or whatever control unit), not the cluster, your service intervals will still show up when they are supposed to regardless of what the odo says.

Motorcycles may be different. And Italian motorcycles...well they are definitely different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts