MV Agusta Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
G'day Esq'z me,
Thanks for your input. I can't detect any undue movement in the steering head nor any notchiness when the bike is suspended. Given the bike has only 40,000km and my exoerience with all sorts of other bikes, its not a big milage to be having problems with the steering head bearings. Also, if the bearings have been causing a problem, then I would have expected it to remain after I swapped the wheels.

·
Administrator
19,129 Posts
Thanks for your input. I can't detect any undue movement in the steering head nor any notchiness when the bike is suspended.
I was referring to the friction of the bearings, not noticeable looseness or sticking. Some bikes use a spring gauge to adjust the tension on the steering bearings. Maybe yours have a little too much friction...or not enough?? Lift the front of the 2 bikes and compare the pressure required to move the bars from one stop to the other.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
G'day All,
Sorry I haven't been back here for awhile. Esq'z me, I lifted the front ends and checked both bikes. My sons bike requires 250gms to move the steering, mine is too light to measure. That said I then took off the top yoke expecting to be able to tighten the top nut on the steering stem to increase this load but could get only a very small rotational movement from it and no increase to the amount of pull on the handle bar. Both tests carried out with the steering dampers backed right off.
I fitted a set of Pirelli Diablo tyres to mine. Initially when I took it out for a ride I believed that it had made a noticable difference. However, on the weekend I racked up miles on my BSA Rocket 3, Norvin and a 1960 Velocette. This morning I was out and about on my sons MV and realise now that the tyres have made very little difference. Particularly having just stepped off my sons MV I have taken particular note at just how well settled and comforable it is around corners. Its so relaxing compared to mine where I have to concerntrate and work to keep it on line.
My next move is to get my inclineometer out and compare the angle of the forks and steering head against each other.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
G'day All,
Just checked the fork angles. My sons MV is 25°, and mine is a touch steeper at 24.5°. The forks are set at the same distance through the yokes, spring pre-load the same and the rear suspension link is closed right down on both bikes so nothing there that would cause the difference. .5° is I would think within tolerances.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
After everything you've checked and verified as within tolerance/limits, I now wonder if the frame might be bent. Do you have sufficient history of the bike to discount that?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
G'day Nigelrb,
No don't have any history on it. However given that I have checked the wheels for both vertical to each other and the steering and fork angles and the fact that there is no difference going left or right, there is nothing out of order there.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
G'day All,
Did some more measuring last night. With the bike vertical, I measured from the ground up the forks to the top yoke on both bikes and it was the same. The tips of the foot pegs down to the ground and my MV was 1/4" higher than my sons. Not much to shine any light on the problem there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, because I'm such a nice bloke, I suggest you bring it over to my place, in Morwell, I'll take it for a dam good flogging around the roads and see if i can detect the same problem, also included is the possibility to get an acquatinance who is a brilliant rider and bike set-up guy to also give it a try out. Of course I'll sign an indemnity that I'm/we are not responsible for any damage incurred, or tickets.

·
Super Moderator
21,779 Posts
Man, we need to know the "cause" if there is one.

Perhaps you know someone else with the same bike that can do a Third Party Comparison?

61 - 71 of 71 Posts