MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
20,061 Posts

·
Administrator
20,061 Posts
Nah, Gina would get jealous. Besides, I'm buying lottery tickets so I can get Tambo #86......of course, have to get the winning ticket first.

·
Registered
227 Posts
hebs,

A lot of us, myself included, are either loosing our jobs or getting 10 to 20% pay cuts here in the USA.

Last week, I was thinking about taking the plunge in spite of the economic uncertainty and decided to throw caution to the wind and test ride a demo 2008 910R at my local dealer. I did all the paper work signed in three places and then went to put my gear on. As fate would have it, right when I was about to get on the bike and take off, the sky opened up and it started to rain. The salesman said go for it, but I did not think it prudent and said I'd come back on a dry day. Well today at work, the announcement was made that all employees will get basically a 12% pay cut. So, I will stick with what I have for now and let the dealer know my situation. So, no test ride since I want to be honest about the whole deal. Who knows, the salesman may say, go ahead and take it for a spin anyway.
Raining on my 910R parade in more ways than one ....

How is the economy in the UK and OZ?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Tha economy in the UK isn't much better than the USA, thats why i'm in Oz. I was living in my hometown on the Isle of Man with my boyfreind who is Aussie, but we had to leave because he couldn't find work there. You need a work permit to work there even if your British. So many people were out of work that all the jobs left were going to the locals first (quite right too i might add). I was lucky i could work but the wages aren't enough to support 2 people. Crap that i had to leave my home but its a good change being here.

It doesn't seem to of hit Oz yet (if it ever will), they're not handing out cheap loans hand over fist here cos the interest rates are relatively high. Sucks for me buying a new bike tho.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've thought about that, too much bother me thinks. Got no one to disassemble it, gonna cost to ship it then registering here would be a nightmare. They really don't like things being imported into Australia

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I've thought about that, too much bother me thinks. Got no one to disassemble it, gonna cost to ship it then registering here would be a nightmare. They really don't like things being imported into Australia
Caggy's your man. He's reputable, he's knowledgeable, he's got sources, but he'd dahamn ugly......:wtf:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tha economy in the UK isn't much better than the USA, thats why i'm in Oz. ...

It doesn't seem to of hit Oz yet (if it ever will), ...
My grandparents were on the ship from San Francisco to Sydney when the stock market crashed in October 1929. In that depression too, Australia was not immediately affected. For awhile, they were doing very well. But then the world-wide depression eventually spread to Australia, and in fact got worse than in the US: unemployment went sky high, and the economy almost stopped. By 1935, my grandparents returned to the US, and it took a hell of an effort to get anything going on in the US again.

Talk to some of the old timers, you'll find people who remember what happened in Australia in the last depression.

This one is looking to be no better, might be worse: its clear that there is an unbelievable amount of fraud in the financial systems, and its global. All that wealth is bogus, gone.

Since it takes wealth to make wealth (that's basic economics) and economic activity is a function of current wealth, when a huge chunk disappears, a huge amount of economic activity cannot be supported. Hence layoffs, hence declining sales, declining wages, declining prices. Hence this depression.

Sorry. Usually I'm an optimist.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah its hard to be optimistic at the moment but i'm enjoying the Australians optimism while its lasting, everywhere else is doom and gloom everytime you turn on the TV. You need to be working in a reasonably stable market and in the Isle of Man, where the biggest industry is finance, that wasn't possible. My boyfreind works in mining and if he can get into a gold mine or a coal mine they should be pretty stable.

We'll see where it goes, the good thing is we got nothing to lose cos we got nothing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts