MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought I would be able to make the haul out from NY to OH to pick up my new Agusta, but it looks like work's getting in the way and I really can't take time off. So I just put the order in to have the bike shipped to me. I went with JC Motorcycle Shippers (motorcycleshipper.com). After shopping around and making half a dozen calls, I was shocked to get such a wide range of qoutes! The cheapest was $545 and the highest was $1200. With the cheaper qoutes, I was getting ETA's that were at the least 2-3 weeks if not more from the time of pick up. The higher qoutes were stating that the bike would get to me in 3-5 days. JC said it would take 1-5 days for them to pick up the bike from the time the order is placed, and it would take anywhere from 3-7 days to deliver the bike, which isnt that bad. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope I won't have to take advatange of the full purchase price insurance I opted for. Anyone here use JC's or any other shippers?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey MV-999R, I take it you have both bikes, correct? I also own an 03 999 Mono, granted it's not an R model, but I was wondering if you could shed some light on the ride and feel of both bikes. My 999 compared to my previous 996 feels "lighter" and more easy on the wrists. The 999 is also more forgiving than my 996 was in and out of the twisties. With the 996, maybe it was just me, but I found myself leaning deeper and lower than I need to with the 999. I have heard people who own MV's state that it's very similar in design (form and function) when compared to the older 996 models. Is that true?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
DucatiGuy said:
Hey MV-999R, I take it you have both bikes, correct? I also own an 03 999 Mono, granted it's not an R model, but I was wondering if you could shed some light on the ride and feel of both bikes. My 999 compared to my previous 996 feels "lighter" and more easy on the wrists. The 999 is also more forgiving than my 996 was in and out of the twisties. With the 996, maybe it was just me, but I found myself leaning deeper and lower than I need to with the 999. I have heard people who own MV's state that it's very similar in design (form and function) when compared to the older 996 models. Is that true?
Yep, i have both.

To resume, i'll say the 999 (the R at least - i never rode a standard one) is easier to live with in everyday use (commuting, traffic, etc...), mostly because of it's ergo's and softer suspension. Brakes are better on the Duc, too.
The MV feels like a race bike, it has a more commited rider position (i guess it feels more like a 998, in terms of ergonomy) and is stiffer suspension wise.
The engine of the MV (the 1000cc at least), is like a rocket :king: and has plenty of torque since low revs.

I LOVE both. Get the MV :smoking:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I got the MV! The bike is shipping out on Monday. It's an 02 silver F4S not the beastly 1000. I figured it would be more like my previous 996 (ergo wise) and not like my current 999. Anyhow, I guess I'll get the answers I seek in a week or so when the MV arrives. I'll post up a review between the 999 and the MV.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
DUnno how you can do it......I had to only sleep one night, and that was so i could drive...and damn, I got no sleep and was stoked as hell. Kudos to you. Good luck with the shipping, let us know when it arrives, and your impressions!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to drive out and pick it up, but where the bikes at in OH is roughly 800+ miles from me and I can't take off from work right now to make the trek out to pick it up. So I'm having it shipped. The original owner, who also has a Senna and a number of other exotic bikes is going to load it up on to an enclosed crate, seal it and have it shipped out tomorrow (Monday the 1st of May). The freight company said, depending on their route, it'll take anywhere from 3-5 days on avg for the bike to get to me. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I try not to think about much, otherwise yes I too would loose way to much sleep. I'll have some pics and a full write up as soon as the bike arrives.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Need some feedback. I have also used JC Motors previously and successfully. However, when I used them before the bikes weren't Ducati's or MV's and they were shipped uncrated and I believe uncovered. I need to ship an MV across the country and would like to have it crated and shipped. How was your experience with JC Motors in shipping your crated MV?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
you can always do what I did and have a trucking company that runs that route. The shipping from Wa to Anchorage was 304$ and that is way more than 800Mi. trucking companies usually go by weight. so if you are buying from a dealer they should have a crate that they would love to get rid of call the company they usually will come to any business for pick up and you go to their terminal for delivery. when you are dealing with specific MC shippers you are going to pay a little/lot more for the same service the only difference is the piece of mind that it is a MC shipper. also most towns have a UPS store or mail box etc that will build a crate for you at a price then you can still have the trucking company pick up. there are a dozens of companies that run that east coast route to pick from and you get it earlier because the truck is going that route no matter if he has a computer and a MC in his rig most motorcycle business take longer due to the wait of making one giant trip so they wait on other bikes to ship in the same direction or they pick up on the way through. just my .02 but usually know one thinks of trucking companies. I have had numerous things shipped and everything comes out perfect on time/early and CHEAP! Lynden Transport is who shipped my bike not sure if they are on the east coast or not I know they go as far as edmonton,Canada I had an entire crate of MC tires shipped from there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks much for the info. Does anyone know of a reputable trucking firm that runs from East Coast of Florida to Arizona?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts