MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple peeps have asked, so I'll post a quick summary of the WSMC race weekend. Overall, I had a good weekend at Willow Springs. First off, the weather Sat and Sun was fantastic . . almost 80 degrees and no wind, just about the best I have ever seen there, hard to believe it was almost Thanksgiving! The good weather is the reason a lot of Northern California racers come down here this time of year. Steve Rapp even showed up for a few races (he holds the track record, BTW) I had entered the Open Novice Class on my Yamaha R1 and quickly found out that there were 43 bikes entered in that event :jsm:
Thanks to my third place finish last month, however, I was gridded on the front row and with so many entrants it would be a two wave start. It was still a lot of pressure knowing all these liter bikes would be breathing down my back. I almost jumped the start and double clutched a little, but got into turn 1 in second place and just put my head down. I kept waiting for somebody to try to put a pass on me but then on lap four I came up on three back markers from the second wave. Thinking someone might be on my tail, I thought it best to put them behind me quick. I passed two in one turn and the third in the next and never looked back. I finished in second place without really getting challenged. My lap times didn't break 1:30 like I had hoped, but I had four laps of 1:31 so at least the consistency is there and I know some places I can still improve.
The weekend wasn't all great, however, as my buddy Brent lowsided his R6 in the last turn of the last lap of the Middleweight Novice race at over 100mph. He had started 18th and moved up to fight for fifth place and must have just pushed too hard. Luckily, he's only banged up and his bike is repairable. Dampened the celebration some, but that's part of racing.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend, last turn of the last lap!!

However, congrats to you, Chris!!! Great job, well done :drummer:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Awesome stuff, Chris. Congrats on your second podium. If you don't get bumped to expert, there's only 1 more spot on the box you need to stand on! The pace is really improving! Next time, for sure you'll have your sub 1:30 lap times.

Too bad about Brent's wreck. Glad that he's not banged up too bad and that the bike can be fixed. I guess that the tank didn't hit, rip open, and turn the bike into a smoldering pile of metal and plastic, which 06 R6 gas tanks are prone to do.

Will you be going back next month?

Alex

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
altoon said:
I guess that the tank didn't hit, rip open, and turn the bike into a smoldering pile of metal and plastic, which 06 R6 gas tanks are prone to do.

Will you be going back next month?
Alex, you know your R6s. The tank was smashed but didn't rip open. Very lucky because the bike did briefly catch fire but the crash guys quickly put it out.

I'll be doing corner work next month as I now have too many points to race Novice any more in 2006. I don't think points carry over, however, so I might give it one more try in January or February (brrr) for a Novice win before going Expert.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Streets or big track?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WSMC is on the big track - runs the third weekend of every month - although next year they are going to add a seperate four race series on the Streets. I'm working on a secret weapon for it!

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Nice work, Chris...Fast-ass lap times, dude...Keep it up!

Congrats on 2nd place! How far ahead of you was first?

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ARCHILLE said:
Congrats, Chris!!! My friend, enjoy the sunshine while it's out in the Novice rank...:nutkick:
Seriously, good advice. . . I still need several seconds just to be a legitimate expert backmarker :laughing: During practice, Steve Rapp was weaving in and out around us like pylons out in turn 8 . . . at about 150mph. But at least I'm blowing a few doors off myself now. Kinda fun, huh? :yo: But I learned my lesson back in the nineties when I raced and moved into expert too fast. Ran up against some guy named Chuck Graves.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
twoeleven said:
Nice work, Chris...Fast-ass lap times, dude...Keep it up!

Congrats on 2nd place! How far ahead of you was first?

Griff
twoeleven
Thanks Griff, hoped to see you stop by! There was some guy on an MV with a Ferrari logo painted on the side but I never met him.

The guy in first didn't exactly run away from me, but according to the time sheets there was about 8 seconds between him and me and about 8 seconds between me and third place. Not exactly a thrilling race for the spectators but I'm not complaining.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts