MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed recently that every other MY'10+ F4 appears to have flat metal extensions connected to the nose fairing brackets by the mirror mounts which provide additional bracing. My guess is that this was a late addition to dampen vibrations in the fairing "ears" and stop the from transferring to the mirrors.

My bike does not have these. The dealers parts list shows these as standard parts for all F4s from '10 onward. So my questions are:

1) Anyone else not have these fitted on theirs?
2) Were these introduced later in '10 to new bikes or were they fitted from the start and were mine simply forgotten on the production line?
3) Anyone ever fitted/removed these and noticed any difference in mirror vibration/usability?

Si

·
Registered
229 Posts
I noticed recently that every other MY'10+ F4 appears to have flat metal extensions connected to the nose fairing brackets by the mirror mounts which provide additional bracing. My guess is that this was a late addition to dampen vibrations in the fairing "ears" and stop the from transferring to the mirrors.

My bike does not have these. The dealers parts list shows these as standard parts for all F4s from '10 onward. So my questions are:

1) Anyone else not have these fitted on theirs?
2) Were these introduced later in '10 to new bikes or were they fitted from the start and were mine simply forgotten on the production line?
3) Anyone ever fitted/removed these and noticed any difference in mirror vibration/usability?

Si
Is there any way you can "post up" a photo of what your referring to? I have a 2013 and yes: after my recent "windscreen mod" I think I know exactly which brace your talking about but, I have no experience w/ the 2010 F4. -Davis

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can certainly get a picture of where the pieces aren't on my bike, but getting a comparison one where they are there is going to be more difficult.

I believe that these extensions were added as a bit of a last minute clumsy fix by MV and so early '10s didn't have them. And they never redesigned the fairing braces on the '13s to provide more elegant solution, sticking instead with the fix.

They're thin, black, flat metal extensions bolted onto the fairing braces that the mirrors bolt onto, that extend the support of the nose fairing further along the inside of the nose fairing backwards towards the rider along the sides under where the screen is mounted. The only purpose I can discern is that they help dampen vibrations occurring I those trailing edges resonating the mirrors. (Because if I grab my fairing there with a hand while riding the image in my mirrors suddenly becomes clearer.)

Si

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Oh, screenshot of both models parts list ?

Si, unfortunately I only have the Y10 bikes parts list, but I have the Y12+ bikes Workshop manual.
I can't seem to find a difference between the two fairing support brackets. But that does not mean MV changed it and then updated the parts list pictures.

Maybe more owners could help here.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yep; my '13 has it just like (part #4) in Don's 2nd photo. It looks like the earlier ones terminated at the mirror stalk, where as mine continues about 2 1/2 more inches and attaches to the faring/windscreen again.

I can/ will post a photo of mine tomorrow night (too freak'n tired tonight). -Davis

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's how mine is, but all the models on the dealer's floor have additional flat extensions to those parts. They showed up on the dealer's online factory parts list, but aren't shown on those pictures above.

Si

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here is a photo of my '13 F4; is it NOT, like the one in the video? -Davis
P.S. sorry 'bout the poor quality of the photo (I miss my HTC One) w/ my Moto X. .

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeah, looks like you are missing part there. I am surprised how stable my mirrors are.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine are crap, buzzy and blurry. But they sharpen up if I grip the fairing at that point. I'm pretty sure they added those bits for precisely that reason but I'm having trouble finding out when they started fitting them so I'd be interested in hearing if anybody else with a '10 is also missing them.

Si

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Here is a photo of my '13 F4; is it NOT, like the one in the video? -Davis
P.S. sorry 'bout the poor quality of the photo (I miss my HTC One) w/ my Moto X. .
Thanks Davis :)

It'd be easier to see if my bike weren't grey.
Or upside down :naughty:, (fixed it for you, this happens with iPads when rotated the "wrong" way) well done Si, and yes, noticeably a difference there, I wonder if it's something you can buy and add on.
I wish some one had a more recent parts list breakdown for us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts