MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having intermittent starting issues last year, with the fuel pump not priming or nothing on the button.

I wasn't sure if it was a failing battery or an issue with the alarm system. As I couldn't test the alarm system and the battery was old, I put a new Yuasa in and the bike was still completely dead.

Obviously that pointed to a faulty alarm, probably it's internal battery that had failed. As I have a dislike for alarms and immobilisers as I can't see what value they bring to security , the system was to be removed.

A bit of a leap into the unknown and no real ability with electrics I wasn't really looking forward to this, but if you don't try you never learn.

Just thought I'd share the experience as it wasn't that much of a job really. I guessed that as the pumps didn't prime, it must be wired into that circuit, and probably something to do with the ignition.

I had to lift the tank to get access to the loom by the fuel pump and remove the relay blocks on the left of the bike. The rest was just following the alarm loom to where it joined the bikes loom and cutting it out and making good with insulation tape.

There were two bits of soldering where it broke the circuit on the fuel pump below the tank and behind the left side relays. There was plenty of room to do the soldering with the tank raised a few inches.

The bike now starts better than it ever had with the meta fitted, and hopefully less parasitic drain. Wish I had done this years ago and saved the stress of the lottery of whether or not the bike was going to start, especially when out on a ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Donsy,

Checked the battery twice before connecting it up.

The job gave a degree of satisfaction, especially when I heard the pumps priming and it fired up first stab on the starter.

Hope this gives others of limited experience like myself the confidence to tackle this task as there isn't much detail out in Google land on how to do it.

I can see this issue becoming more common as more alarm internal battery's give up as bikes get older.

Of course there is always the option to buy a new alarm unit and plug it into the existing alarm loom if you want to keep your bike alarmed, especially if it's an insurance requirement. I'll be keeping my alarm installation certificate with the bikes docs purely for historical reasons;)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have a Meta Alarm on mine. What I've found is that if I disable the alarm with the fob and turn the ignition on it'll start first try. But if I leave the ignition on for a bit before I try and start it, I get nothing from the starter until I've cycled the ignition and alarm arming/disarming. I'm not sure, but I suspect this is expected behaviour somehow.

Si

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Si,

That sounds like normal behaviour, start the bike straight after disarming, but the immobiliser kicks in after a short period if the bike isn't started.

When mine was on the way out it was dead straight after the initial cycle of the ignition. I could sometimes cheat it by hitting the starter before the ignition cycle had completed, no idea why that worked but it did.

Used to get lots of clicking from the alarm unit unit as well after trying to start it.

·
Registered
14,406 Posts
alarms?

Russ;
you people that have to suffer with those POS Meta alarms.....no way I'd put up with one :banghead::banghead:

I'll bet 90% of MV electrical problems are reversing the battery leads and POS alarms

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad that parasite has been ripped out of the bike.

So many UK bikes have to keep one fitted as it's an insurance requirement, and put up with all the problems.

I saw a 2014 Honda being loaded onto a breakdown truck today as it wouldn't start. I,ll be that was his alarm that spoilt his morning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My new battery had reversed battery leads and now my 750 4 won't start. The display lights up but nothing to the starter. I am in Hawaii with no dealer.

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
Aloha, there are many threads within this forum about his very thing. There are a couple of fuses and a diode or two that can be damaged by reversing polarity.

Sorry that this is your first post, but we can help you get back up and running.

Welcome

1 - 9 of 9 Posts