MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a couple hours today with my new helmet. It's a Bell Star Carbon RSD Sway. It's a nice lid and I really like the transitions shield but I couldn't believe how noisy it was. At 60 mph below 6K rpm I couldn't even hear my stock exhaust. I don't use hearing protection cause I love to hear the exhaust note but I think I'll have to with this helmet. The fit is not as perfect as the Arai's I've had but I don't think that's the reason. Somewhat disappointing but it looks good with the orange Brutale.

I wonder if that ti sport system from Arrow would help. :naughty:

·
Administrator
19,517 Posts
The Star is a great helmet for ventilation....and the transition shield is a must have....but they are noisy.. I wear ear plugs anyway because I need to preserve what little hearing I have left. I think the outstanding ventilation is part of the reason for the high wind noise level.

I wear ear plugs with every helmet I wear, Shoei, Arai, doesn't matter.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I have the same with my HJC compared to the Arai. But the HJC is lighter and the sight wider.
So I started to use special plugs that filter in such a way that you can actually hear the engine good and the wind less. Took me a while to get used to but now I don't want anything else.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
My Nexx was so noisy when I first got it that I grabbed the box to return it and found a bag of different sized cheek pads and an extra liner inside, along with instructions on how to customize the fit to my head/face. Now it's the quietest helmet I've owned. I think the Bell Stars also have a kit to customize cheek pad thickness, etc...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cheek pads are 40mm, 35 and 50 are available as replacements. I'll try that. I read reviews that said it wasn't quiet. I just didn't expect it to be that extreme. Ed's right anyway, I need to preserve what I have left. Now that I think about it, it's multiple sources of sound that give me trouble. In a quiet room I can hear a whisper but put two voices in the room and I can't distinguish between them.

Erik, what brand are your plugs?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
That and the fit are why I haven't strayed from SHOEI. The Schuberth are even quieter but they feel cheap as hell for the money and don't quite fit the same.

One thing I would note is in what way are they loud? If its whistling or wind noise internal to the helmet or coming from the rear of the helmet check fit. At lot of people will have space around the neck roll or cheek pads allowing wind to get up there. I had a friend that hated his SHOEI until he got thicker cheek pads.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I use Audisafe plugs.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That and the fit are why I haven't strayed from SHOEI. The Schuberth are even quieter but they feel cheap as hell for the money and don't quite fit the same.

One thing I would note is in what way are they loud? If its whistling or wind noise internal to the helmet or coming from the rear of the helmet check fit. At lot of people will have space around the neck roll or cheek pads allowing wind to get up there. I had a friend that hated his SHOEI until he got thicker cheek pads.
No whistling, just wind. It's the same with vents open or closed. It was a bit chilly, I think I would feel wind coming in from the neck. It's a little tighter than my Arai. It nearly rips my ears off when removing. I have to wiggle it around some to get my ears unfolded after putting it on but feels right once I get it positioned. I was thinking thinner cheek pads might close up the area around my ears. Or at least ease the removal process.

Thanks Erik, I'll google it.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Yes okay. I think it is Dutch, but not sure... very happy with it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts