MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brutale doesn't have stalling issues, but it has complete power loss issues (I believe fazer6's symptoms appear similar to mine). I've been looking down the path of replacing the service power unit (SPU) - also known as the fuse/relay box.

I'd been led to believe that the new, updated SPU - part # 8A00A9300 was backwards compatible with all Brutales. However the tech services manager for the Aus MV distributor has emailed me this -

"Depending on the vin # of your bike, if it is 004322 and above it takes 8A00A9300.
If it is 004321 or below it takes 8A00A9615.
The wiring loom is different in each vin range and SPU is not interchangeable."

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'll be checking my VIN # later.

For reference my bike has lost all power (no dash, no engine etc) 3 times -

- A year ago on Philip Island I lost all power (bike shut off) at approx 160km/h hard on the throttle (took out key, key back in and power was back)
- 2 months ago no power when I went to turn it back on after a ride half an hour earlier, 20 minutes later it decided to give power
- Last Friday idling in traffic whilst warm (~95c running temp). 10 minute wait and I had power back.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Do you know if the serial # is visible w/o taking the tank off?

If so, I will check my Vin and part# tonight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does he mean for the 2004 models and VIN? I was told by both FBF and Atlanta Triumph Ducati that the 8000A9300 will fit the 2005 Brutale S. My VIN ends in 100393.

Did he reference part no. 8A00A9300 or 8000A9300?

I guess time will tell whenever it shows up.

·
Administrator
20,358 Posts
Do you know if the serial # is visible w/o taking the tank off?

If so, I will check my Vin and part# tonight.
VIN is stamped on frame at steering head. Right side. Easy to see. Part number on SPU is not so easy to see.

·
Administrator
20,358 Posts
The VIN I know, but where is the part number for the power unit?
Usually on the back side, may be on a paper label.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. My distributor says "The part number 8000A9300 changes to 8A00A9300" so I guess this means they are one and the same thing.

My VIN # ends with 001994 which suggests, if the SPU's are NOT interchangeable, then I need the older 8A00A9615 model. The SPU currently on the bike is the original as built model. The bike was built 10/2004 according to the VIN plate.

Both SPU's apparently cost $780 here in Australia, even if I fit it myself :( Ouch. I reckon there's like $50 of bits in the thing, at most.

I would be very interested to know your VIN#/SPU# combination fazer6!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Usually on the back side, may be on a paper label.
Mine is out of bike and I'm waiting to see what I can get to replace it in NZ. :violin:

The no's on my stuffed one are 01-06 LM6699A written on a paper label. I will get a pic and post it tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Well Crap! I don't think I'm helping much, but here's my info:

Vin: 100148 (2004 model)

SPU: 8A00A9615-V2 04/08

Any guesses on what the V2 means?

Also, the part number for the SPU was right on the inside of the fuse cover--Imagine them doing something that makes sense with this thing!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. Of course, the SPU my bike requires (8A00A9615) is out of stock in the country.

I'll be facing Philip Island again in 3 weeks, here's hoping the bike behaves and doesn't turn off during a corner..!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Interesting. Of course, the SPU my bike requires (8A00A9615) is out of stock in the country.

I'll be facing Philip Island again in 3 weeks, here's hoping the bike behaves and doesn't turn off during a corner..!

Amen to that! I am heading to the mountains tomorrow.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My Vin last 6 no's are 007257, the psu I have removed and is being dismantled so I can see what is inside it. The hand written nos are

01-06
LH 6699A

So what replacement do I ask for. :bawling:

Thanks Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys,
i have the same problem with my bike :

My B4 750s of 2003 SPU is dead and i have MV AGUSTA saying to me that i need the 8A00A9615 and my dealer tells me it's the 8A00A9300.

Wich one is the correct one??????

I know they made a change and the new one has the Black panel on the back, and there is no more resin (we can open it).

Wich one did you get on your bike?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts