MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Hawaii, what's the go with riding without a helmet?
Not sure if the sunglasses will help in a crash!!

I wanted to check out Mulholland Hwy in CA but the weather was crap in LA - ie it actually rained with hail and thunder!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
There is no helmet required in a lot of US states.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
No helmet law in Illinois either. In this town, maybe 33% wear one. Posing is very popular around here.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
We were in Wisconsin in October. No helmet law there either. Strange that the college football team (The Badgers) had helmets on while running around but very few riders chose to.

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
Some states are encouraging organ donor programs....it's a good thing....helps clean up the gene pool, too....

·
Registered
559 Posts
We were in Wisconsin in October. No helmet law there either. Strange that the college football team (The Badgers) had helmets on while running around but very few riders chose to.
Yep, here in Wisconsin (home of a heavy and slow brand of motorcycle) many choose not to use a helmet. Like they say "no brains no pains"

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just got back from Hawaii, what's the go with riding without a helmet?
Not sure if the sunglasses will help in a crash!!

I wanted to check out Mulholland Hwy in CA but the weather was crap in LA - ie it actually rained with hail and thunder!!
I rented in Hawaii this year as well, the guy laughed when I told him I was serious about needing a helmet. Rode with sunglasses and a bee flew up under them, luckily just before a stop sign and I was able to get it out without injury.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ironically, the people who ride without helmets here in Illinois and Wisconsin are generally the worst riders by far. Aside from the consequences of even a minor crash, i can't even imagine having a rock come up and get me on the cheek at 80 miles per hour.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ironically, the people who ride without helmets here in Illinois and Wisconsin are generally the worst riders by far. Aside from the consequences of even a minor crash, i can't even imagine having a rock come up and get me on the cheek at 80 miles per hour.
Don't forget the June Bugs!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Stories like this amaze me, although no one voted for it here, helmets are mandatory for push bikes as well, on the spot fines by police or worse for not wearing one :banghead:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Actually in the US I believe its only like 7 states total that have no helmet law. And if in some states if there is a no helmet law then your required to carry more insurance (Florida) and in Alaska the Operator can go without but his Passenger has to wear one regardless.

·
Registered
456 Posts
hey each to their own the helmets are there for people to buy.

you either wear one or you don't its up to personal decision. personally, as long as you are the only person you injure by not wearing one that is fine.

hey i just don't feel comfortable not earing a helmet anymore on a motorcycle or a bicycle, its actually strange not wearing one on a bicycle for me since i've worn one for so many years.

·
Registered
396 Posts
hey each to their own the helmets are there for people to buy.

you either wear one or you don't its up to personal decision. personally, as long as you are the only person you injure by not wearing one that is fine.

Indeed, it is a different ride without all the gear, but too much risk
:banghead:

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
When I was alot younger and rode with no helmet I got nailed on the forehead just above my nose by a June bug. Not cool. Those buggers pack a real punch.:laughing:

·
Registered
396 Posts
When I was alot younger and rode with no helmet I got nailed on the forehead just above my nose by a June bug. Not cool. Those buggers pack a real punch.:laughing:
Indeed, I wear a leather jacket, leather pants, gloves, full helmet, boots on the motorcycle. Too much flying debris at 80 mph. T-shirt and sunglasses is great in a perfect world.:smoking:

·
Registered
363 Posts
No helmet? F*** that.

Just one look at my recently crashed Arai (very low speed) is proof enough that no hair gel it tough enough for tarmac *shudder*

Also, like a few others here it would seem, I've caught a bee in the face at 100mph with an open face lid... ouchies!

·
Registered
78 Posts
did somebody say june bug? they're alot easier to clean off helmets than foreheads

1 - 20 of 20 Posts