MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am selecting a new helmet, as I believe that purchase of a new bike is a good reason to buy a new helmet.

I am thinking of a full-face helmet, and my budget is roughly $450. The helmet that I have got now was $99, and it was some sort of promotion in my local store.

Anyways, after reading reviews I consider these 2 for myself:
Nexx carbon fibre helmet at Motorcycle id; or

Simpson Ghost helmet from Amazon.

Now, here's the dilemma. I tried putting both on, and Simpson helmet seems to fit my head better, while Nexx seems to be a more reliable brand... I cannot say that it doesn't fit though, it's also good.

So I am kinda lost.... Any comments on these 2?
Thanks!
Dan.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
They're both brands I've never heard of making motorcycle helmets.

Just a suggestion, why dont you have a look at HJC RPHA 11 helmets. Not sure what type of motorcycle you ride.
But those helmets are allowed on track aswell and are in your budget depending on the graphics.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
In UK I have not seen promotions or reviews of the Simpson and Nexx helmets. Perhaps they are more directed to the USA market.

I agree with @Black_Gold_Saw that the HJC is a good helmet (I own one) as well as AGV, both of which you'd find within your budget. More relevant though is that whatever you decide upon will most likely be a far improvement on a $99 special!:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
21,756 Posts
I own a Nexx helmet and I love it for its lightness. Simpson has made helmets for eons and they are a reputable company.

But the helmet that fits your head and your budget.

Ill fitting helmets are dangerous.

·
Registered
431 Posts
As Chuck pointed out, fit is important. You go with the one that fits best!

Continuing, Nexx is a Belgium brand. Its very well made, light. My friend owns 2 of them and is very happy.

Simpson is an American brand, they been around for many years. I am not familiar with their history (you can google for that) but they very prominent in protective gear (helmets, suits) in drag racing. I don't know the fit of Simpson but if its anything like Bell, I recommend you check out their Race Star series. The list price of Bell is outside your budget but you should be able to find the discontinued colors models for about half of the original MSRP. I low sided at the track going about 80mph wearing a Bell helmet. Walked away with a minor concussion and was back to work the next day. Helmet was trash but it did its job. I sourced another one on Amazon.

Just for the record, my preference for the streets is Shoei. Stay away from cheap crap. Sorry, but brands like HJC, Built, and even some of the lower AGV models do not inspire confidence in me. This just my opinion...

·
Super Moderator
21,756 Posts
That is the same model helmet I own. Glad to know it works well.

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
14,306 Posts
?

Bill Simpson is a friend, makes great safety equipment......
BUT, Bell XLs fit me perfectly.......got a $1249 Carbon Race Star for $349 from Motorcyclecloseouts.com
Bell gives you the best helmet bag in the business
:grin2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate your replies, folks.. noggin's story about his Nexx helmet is just impressive!! I mean, it means way more, than the ads and video reviews, you know..
I will go and try both helmets again, just to make sure I am making the right decision when I'll be buying one of those guys.
Thanks...

·
Registered
282 Posts
You can always check the Sharp ratings on helmets too.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

I just bought a Bell Qualifier DLX - the Bell helmets just fit me great. No gaps all around, no pain.

This one has the MIPS liner, transition shield and built-in mount for my existing COM unit.

I didn't even know Simpson made motorcycle helmets. NEXX makes really nice helmets, I should check them again.

I almost bought a Shark this time around, Skwal 2 for the LED light feature for lane splitting in CA (if it fit) since the Bell Devil May Care wasn't out in MIPS until just a week ago and I was looking...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts