MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GDay team im new to the site and have a question.Ive got a 2000f4 with 17000ks on the clock.I went to start it the other day and got some wierd electrical signals coming to the dash.there was a relay clicking and the dash lights were dim like a flat battery.turned head lights on and all power gone turned lights off what power there was came back and tried starter and lost power.like i said seemed like a flat battery .put the charger on and the battery is fully charged.What do ya rekon.Ive checked the fuses and as many connections as i could find but no luck.Really to all purposes seems like there is a bad connection somewhere.
PS this site has been more than helpful in the past as the knowledge base here is exceptional.

honest jez ( the working mans friend )

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Ok Jez,

With your nicely charged battery.

When you turn the ignition to on does the fuel pump energise ?

joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responce guys,Yes battery is fully charged and yes ive done the reverse battery install a while ago and got the fix from this forum so no issue there.Couldnt sleep for thinking about the bike not working so was up early mucking around,took the lead off 1 side of the starter relay and shorted it and it winds over strong so plenty of battery power there .Not sure if its the problem but the relay that has the diode on it when I jiggle it around I get intermittent lights flashing going from dim to off in the dash .Checked all the connections and are clean so hopefully its a faulty relay.What do ya think.

cheers Jez

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Okay Jez, after you had the battery reversed and you sorted that out, have you ridden the bike at all ?
On the (some) 750's there's a plug on the right hand side of the bike (near battery) with two diodes inside, checked them ?
Sounds a bit like a bad connection somewhere, swap the two power relays under the seat unit, see if that does anything.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I don't think it's either of the diodes. If you get plenty of power by passing the relay and jumping directly to the starter, and if you get intermittent voltage with everything connected properly, I think it may be your relay. That or a bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Thanks for the quick responce guys,Yes battery is fully charged and yes ive done the reverse battery install a while ago and got the fix from this forum so no issue there.Couldnt sleep for thinking about the bike not working so was up early mucking around,took the lead off 1 side of the starter relay and shorted it and it winds over strong so plenty of battery power there .Not sure if its the problem but the relay that has the diode on it when I jiggle it around I get intermittent lights flashing going from dim to off in the dash .Checked all the connections and are clean so hopefully its a faulty relay.What do ya think.

cheers Jez

Jez,

With the bike cranking as you say, did she actually fire up and run ?

I'm guessing not.:smoking:

Joe

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I don't think it's either of the diodes. If you get plenty of power by passing the relay and jumping directly to the starter, and if you get intermittent voltage with everything connected properly, I think it may be your relay. That or a bad connection somewhere.
I recon you're spot on there Carl.

Jezza...Is your bike a 750 or a 1000S ?

joe
2000 Joe :stickpoke

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good morning all
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions but I have to announce the winner is "CARL "
Yes removed the top off the general relay and saw the black discolouration that looked like arching so cleaned it and touched them together and she came to life,im sure you all know how big that grin was as I know you have all experienced it so thanks again for all the help.
On another note Donsy do you know anyone from Western Australia that would want to buy a private plate white with black lettering "F4S" as I have moved to the territory and got a "MVF4" plate. Couldnt believe the choices I had for a plate here as I suspect there arnt many MVs here.

cheers
Honest Jez ( the working mans friend )

·
Super Moderator
22,311 Posts
Hey there Honest Jez...nice result and welcome to the madness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mate,happy to be here.Ive had the MV for 7 years now and am the second owner and have been through a lot of the standard issues that you guys are always talking about and have got the answers from here.What is becoming obvious is when working on these machines you have to change your mechanical and analitical train of thought because the bike is 14 years old some of the issues arnt as they should be due to wear on parts affecting other things or the fact that something is as it was when it was put together in the factory and the connection or whatever hasnt been touched since.Still theres nothing like having to look outside of the box,its gotta help with life somewhere just dont know about how much beer you drink sitting in front of a stripped bike thinking"its gotta be something simple" im sure youve been there.

JEZ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts