MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Zandit here from Tasmania....For those who have no idea where that is, it's basically the A$$ end of the world, way down under Downunder!

I'm currently riding a 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R ABS

This shot is from a couple of years ago, as I now have full Givi luggage racks fitted, and in full tour mode, I have about 117ltrs of luggage space for me and my wife.
So, what the hell am I doing here? Well it all started after riding a Triumph Street Triple 675 a couple of weeks ago. Now, apart from the ugly headlights, this is one hell of a bike, and it is the first ever naked bike I have ridden. I was genuinely surprised with how little buffet I had even at highway speeds compared to my Ninja. I always thought having the full fairings and double-bubble windscreen would be perfect for 2up riding, but the Triumph left me spellbound.
I am still a couple of years away from buying a new bike, but I am now seriously considering a naked bike as a replacement. I started looking at other brands, and in a dream state, I checked out the MV's.
I have always loved the F4's from when I first seen a magazine feature on the ultra rare F4 fitted with titanium and magnesium everywhere! There was nothing sexier in my opinion, and it still holds true today!
Next I checked out pricing, and was surprised to see how affordable they are!

The first question I have is, is the Brutale a suitable tourer, and is it a comfortable 2up bike?
Secondly, I have seen only a couple of luggage options for the Brutale. Are there any Hard Luggage options out there?
Has anyone ridden both the Street Triple and the B3 back to back? If so, what are your thoughts?
Lastly, I'm a shorta$$, so are there any other shorter members that have any issues with this bike?
Unfortunately, being in Tassie means my nearest distributor is in Melbourne, and I won't have a chance to sit on one until August,
Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi Zandit and welcome, re is the Brutale a comfortable two up tourer, imho no it is not. May I draw your attention to the soon to be released MV Agusta turisimo veloce.

Look on here there is a separate thread covering this new model, now that is a proper tourer and more suited to what you need.

jimboF4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jimbo, that has been on my radar as well.
Just wondering how tall that is going to be. It's hands down the sexiest dual sport on the market...Well, it will be when it comes out!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have ridden street triple and the brutale 800.
The street triple is all what they say it is, it is the nicest chassis i ever tried, so precise, so behaved, unbelievably confidence inspiring. The brutale is not far off in this domain, but coming from a 1100 twin i felt the triumph to be lacking much wanted torque from what i am used too, where as the 800 has a crazy engine which gave me a rush, every body that rides one is impressed with the engine power.
As a tourer, i can't really comment cause i ended up buying the Dragster.
As far as seat height, my wife touches both feet sitting on the Dragster and she is petite. So no issue there.

Cheers and good luck with your quest...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I owned a Street Triple and a Speed Triple in that order before the B800.

My Street was modified: low Arrow and aftermarket shock. The B800 feels closer to that bike than the Speed.

I haven't started pushing the Brute yet, not like I did with my Street. I never really jelled with the Speed. The B800 basically bridges the gap between the two Triumphs.

Two up and touring? Haven't been two up yet. It's a small bike with a sensitive throttle so likely not going to be all that great two up. I'm one of those riders who can tour with gear and a backpack and not much else so I'm bad judge there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ride mine heaps two up and my wife likes it a lot as long as it is over three hours otherwise her butt gets a tad sore

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree with Jimbo... I wouldn't choose to buy a B3 if touring was important on my agenda, especially 2 up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys, most appreciated.
Perhaps my definition of tourer is different from everyone else's, but when I go touring, I ensure there is minimal highway usage. If it is twisty, then I take it.
I understand that the frame may not take luggage, so it may have to go on the backburner, and the TV step up to take it's place!

·
Super Moderator
22,122 Posts
Zandit, if the bike can carry a passenger, it can carry luggage. There are many companies that offer throw over saddle bag and top bag combos. Cor-Tech comes to mins as I use it often on my Ducati Monster and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the 1090RR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zandit, if the bike can carry a passenger, it can carry luggage. There are many companies that offer throw over saddle bag and top bag combos. Cor-Tech comes to mins as I use it often on my Ducati Monster and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the 1090RR.
Yes, that would be great, but the missus prefers to have something behind her plus being able to re-use my Givi Luggage would be a bonus, mostly because of the cost savings, and being more waterproof than soft bags.
I think I am in the same boat with the Triumph Street Triple. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of hard luggage for that either.
Apart from the TV which has factory luggage available, I may have to stick with Kawasaki and look at the Ninja 1000(SX in some markets).
Still, the decision is still a couple of years away, so anything can change between now and then!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If riding enjoyment comes third to pillion comfort and hard luggage options then a Brutale isn't really the right bike for you. Maybe take a look at the TV when it's released. Brutale's and street triples weren't really designed for two up touring hence why you'll struggle to find hard luggage solutions for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts