MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy I'm new to this forum and to the Brutale world. I recently purchased a Brutale 750s '04 with 47000km.

After riding for about 1000k now without any problems. My problems started about a week ago when she suddenly shut off. :wtf: :shocker: So I pulled over to the side and restarted without a problem. The next day in the morning with cool weather the engine temp went up to 125'c. I only noticed it when arriving at my office. On my way home i stopped for some shopping after the bike being back to normal again. But as soon as I started the engine again the real problems started. :shitfan: She started to spit and judder. It would feel like she was being choked and then you try and give more power when she suddenly starts to breath and accelerate. This is on and off with some bangs out of the exhaust. There is a PCIIIr installed that I unplugged to test if that was the problem but it didn't help.

I have a 8A00A9615 -v2 SPU installed. Is the VIN number the last 4 digits of the frame number?

When unplugging the PCIII I looked down the throttle body into every cylinder and noticed that the valves on the second cylinder looked dirty compared to all others. The one in the pic bellow is the dirty one. Do you think it has anything to do with my problem?

Could it be that the fuel injection is broken or that the spark plug is done?

What do you guys think it could be? I'm clueless now I would be thankful for any help or tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Most likely an ignition coil going bad, not an uncommon thing on the 750 Brute, plenty of examples on here, check what coil make you have currently got fitted. If it's the Champion 407, don't use the same as a replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks JimboF4 for your reply. Yeah they are that brand and model. What other brand would your recommend? Should I replace the plugs at the same time?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Yes replace plugs, NGK CR9EIX all found, the stick coils off a later 4 cyl MV will fit, do a search for Beru coils on here and read up the wiring procedure in Donsy's all we know tech thread.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
i dont have a brut so cant offer u any help
all i can say is welcome to the nicest and most knowledgable place on the www of this mark
hope u stick around, cos u will love it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the help. I ordered the sparkplugs now and a new coil. As soon as the arrive I will let you know if it solved the problem.
I so hope it does. I miss my baby

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Mindlifter,
Glad your getting it sorted, not sure where you are located, my advice would be to get another spare coil in and keep hold of it. The old Champion coils are no longer available and the Beru ones are much more reliable. How are you going to wire it in? I suggest getting some AMP Superseal there pin plug and sockets in to wire into the existing loom and replace the end on the Beru lead. Plenty of good stuff in the advice section on here.

Good luck and hope you on the road again soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi JimboF4
I live in Switzerland and was looning for the sparkplugs only to find out that they are around 27$ per plug. Ordered some now from Amazon for 24$ for 4. :) I found a champion coil online to test. I am planning to get the new Beru Coild but want to replace all of them at once. I was looking for the wiring help for the new ones but I'm not sure if I found the right Thread. The plugs just arrived today so I will be testing tonight. I can't wait :drummer: :f4:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi JimboF4

So got some updates. Installed the new plugs and the coil yesterday. Worked great for 5 min and then the problem started again. So I thought of letting the engine run hot so that the manifold's glow. Thats when I noticed that it wasn't cylinder 2 that had problem but cylinder 3. So tonight I will exchange the coil I replaced yesterday with the one from cylinder 3. I did notice that there was some rubbing marks on (see pic). Does that have anything to do with it maybe`?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi the Champion coils have that metal ferrule around them, the coils get wet and corrode and expand this does make them fail and difficult to remove at times.

The problem is they break down as they get hot, so what might appear as a fix in the garage will turn into a misfire on a run, I am afraid they are not very good and thankfully no longer available new.

MV introduced thdBeru coils as a replacement, and fitted them to later F4 and Brutale models (910s and R ect). So use them as a known good replacement. Only wife's 750 Brutale two failed and Beru coils were the fix, sold bike to a friend and he is aware of the Champion coil issue and if they fail we know how to fix.

It's not a difficult job and a number of owners have replaced all four Champion coils with the Beru ones with good results.

Reactions: mindlifter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI JimboF4
So after replacing the coil on cylinder 3 with the one I took out from cylinder 2 in my last repair it seems that it fixed the problem. At least I know if it happens again where to look now. Thank you so much for your help. I'm happy to know more about my bike now. :nerd: I'm sure its a good thing with these kind of bike ;-) Can't wait to go for a ride now :yo::f4:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts