MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

New poster here and I'm already looking for advice. :)

After my R6 was pinched by the sticky fingered scum I was looking at buying a CBR600RR. However, I've done a bit of checking and a 1999/2000 model F4 750 is within my price and insurance range. Needless to say, I'm delighted!

What I'm looking for advice on is firstly, what to look for when I'm going to look at 2nd hand F4's (my price range seems to throw up bikes around the 5000 - 8000 mile mark) and secondly average running costs (servicing, repairs, spares availabilty).

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
no expereince with the older models....but, I can give you loads of other advise...
1. Dont spit into the wind.
2. Dont eat yellow snow.
and most importantly...
3. When in doubt, gas it!

good luck on the F4...it will be an experience like no other.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
F4's tend to be as reliable as any Japanese bike. Check out JamesC's blogspot on this site for Frequently Asked Questions about these machines. As you have said, the early F4's 99 - 01 are within your price range, if you can afford to do so, I would spend a little more and get a later Evo II or Evo III version, more HP and one or two of the niggles that affected the earlier bikes were sorted by the time the Evo's came along. :king: Having said that an early F4 is still a great bike, welcome to the site Boozehound (like the name BTW) :smoking: and I hope you get fixed up with a MV real soon. :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Rather than worrying about things specific to an MV, there are few, I'd just be extra careful the usual things are correct: maint done, oil changes, no furry bolts, etc. Sounds like you are in the UK so parts are most likely ok but 3X has had 'mixed' reviews at best. If you post your area I suspect some of the guys can give you the local dealer and a review on them as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm in Scotland. As far as asking for MV specifics goes, I think it's down to the usual "sucking through teeth" attitude of folk when I tell them I'm getting one, especially as my R6 was bomb proof. Cheers for the reassurance, as I'm dead set on one now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Be aware that if you're buying an evo1 engine, you may be desapointed cause it won't work any better than you're R6 (never tried but that what I ve heard from friends who tried, and power curves tell the same) (I'm talking about the engine here, not the chassis... but is there any chassis on a Jap bike? :flickoff: )... Have you considered buying an evo3?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bought a '00 F4 750 when I was in the same situation as you. My ZX-7R was stolen and I realized I could afford an MV. The Evo01 engine isn't that powerful (126hp) like mentioned above, but its fast enough and the bike makes up for it in character. It certainly has more torque than a jap 600. I've put 3K miles on my bike so far (12k when I bought it), and i haven't had a single problem yet. In short, I do NOT miss my jap bike.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
We have a few members in Scotland, Boozehound if you check the registry. :crazyeyes Ian (macmivvi) is a very knowledgable guy and will probably be able to point you in the direction of good local MV dealers up there. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
You will have to do the pointing John, there are no MV dealers in Scotland.

Alvins went to the wall in March .

Be glad to help and by the way an early 00 F4 will do any of the Jap 600's, mine did.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
The most northerly MV authorised dealership I know of is M & S in Newcastle upon Tyne, but I have no personal experience of what they are like. :wtf: Closer to (my) home are Cobb and Jagger and Forza Italia, but it's a long way to travel from the land of Malt whisky and heather. :jsm:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Boozehound, I had an original first model into OZ an F4 750 00. At the time had a 748 SP race bike. I ws stunned at the quality and workmanship of the F4 and I put over 15,000kms in two years on it and it was perfect. I have had two MV's since, now have a 1000 S. In that time I raced a R6 and recently a Honda CBR 1000RRR. Ignore what the ignorant guys with Jap only experience will tell you. The F4 is a class and a half above an old R6 and the experience and enjoyment you will get will far exceed any niggles you get. With Italian bikes the niggles are called character with Jap's it is just plain annoying.
I had Jap race bikes as they are cheaper to race and I don't care when I crash them. The F4 is my special treat. You will probably find also a good second hand F4 has been lovingly treated by it's owner, so My advice is go for it, you will never be the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey- [emvi] is an envy therm...
if you track go for any mv if you dont think twice
if you like the look dont think twice
if you like the sound ---dont even think mv is unique
if you say costs---any bike needs that
good luck with your new mv
congarts
tuto.ro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts