MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys and Gals

I currently own a 2005 S4R to give you some background.
All though the S4R is a great bike I do not find it as refined as
I would like it to be.

I have heard the brutale is a direct competitor to the S4R. I have not had a chance to test ride one yet however I did sit on one at the international motorcycle show recently.

I really dig the design and it seemed comfy in the saddle.

I know there is a 750, 910 and 1078 coming out soon. I was leaning towards a 750 or a 910s.

Any years or model you recommend. Anything I should avoid.

Do you guys have any recommendations? It will be used as a daily driver so it will need to be reliable an not to hard on the back. The S4R seems to be fine for this an it gets about 40mpg.

1.) How is the riding position on long rides.
2.) How is the gas Mileage
3.) How is the Maintinence cost.
4.) Has anyone on this board been able to comapre a S4R to Brutale.

Sorry for all the questions =) and thanks for your time in advance.

Robert =)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Rob and welcome.

I have an '04 750 Brutale so i'll try to answer as honestly and subjectively as i can.
1. Excellent. Similar to the monster. Buzzier through the grips than the v-twin though.
2. Worse than dreadful around town. Not too bad on a run. I ride mine most days to work and get about 180km before the low light. 240 or so on a run.
3. I work as a motorcycle mechanic in a bike shop and find MV's to be among the easiest and most pleasant bikes to service and repair. Unfortunately most genuine dealers will charge you space-shuttle rates.
4. Surprisingly the S4R and Brutale are quite similar in performance given the differences with the V2 & I4 engines. My lap times are similar on both bikes.

It's interesting you mention the word "refined". I've owned Ducati's for many years and my MV is definately more "refined".
That's not to say it's better, because I don't think it is.
The Brutale is a great bike that stands alone (usually on one wheel :laughing: ).

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Welcome aboard.

If by refined you mean neater looking and more well thought out, the Brutale is far more refined than the S4. I would also say the build quality is higher.

I disagree that it is not comfortable around town. It is what I use to buzz around on. Many of my friends ride cruisers and their idea of performance riding is two abreast in the same lane at 40 mph. The Brutale is fine for this as I can sit upright on it all day. It also fine for longer rides. The wind buffeting is pretty stout at 80 and above but not intolerable. If I remember correctly I can travel about 140 miles on a tank.

If you are the type to birng your bike to the dealer for an oil change every 3000 miles, maintenance can be expensive. I'm not a mechanic but it seems they charge by the hour not the bike.

Don't give it another thought. If you like your Ducati, you will love the MV.
CAG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

The S4R is not a happy bike under 4.5 to 5k rpms even with a 14t front sprocket.
Its very jerky and gutless. I find myself feathering the clutch on city streets and in traffic.

How is the brutale model line for this?

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi. and welcome.

I changed from an Aprilia to a Brutale; and the Aprilias are probably closer in feel and performance to the Ducatis than to the MV's. I was told I'd find the Brutale 910 much more 'grabby' under throttle than the Aprilia, but I found the opposite: the Brutale, by comparison to me seems silky smooth (but certainly with a lot of get up and go). Perhaps its moving from the very torquey V-twin to the defineitely more 'refined' ILF. Mind you, I say that, but i've only had my Brutale for 3 weeks, most of it raining - just coming up to the first service. If you want something that is REALLY grabby, try the Hypermotard; but beware of that right wrist! I had a serious look at one, but it wouldn't suit my riding intentions (longer distances with some touring).

As far as build quality and overall feel goes, I think the MV has it all over the other two; despite the fact that Ducati has the name and the limelight. On close inspection, every part of the Brutale screams quality. I guess I was spoilt, because I was able to get the 910R at a good price, and just a look at the front wheels and forks was enough to convince me.

Ok, OK, so I'm a neophyte, but I can't see me ever going back to an Ape or a Duc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome,

I had to make the same choice......I had been riding Duc/Apes for years but wanted to get something more comfortable to replace my 998. Basically it came down to how the bike felt when I sat on it, the Brutale is compact and the riding position for me is way more upright and comfortable. As someone mentioned, I too can stay on the Brut for long rides. For me the S4r actually leaned me over too far. I still prefer the vtwin power delivery but would never trade my Brut in for anything else. Give the Brut a try.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
RobS4r said:
1. Depends on..

a) what you mean by long
b) how well your suspension has been set up (makes a world of difference)
c) your roads and
d) your personal preferences - what is comfy (or not) to you. Some hate the stock seat, others don't have a problem at all.

2) Depends on how well the bike is tuned. I get around 35mpg on my 750, so almost 150 miles before the light comes on. For a 750 or an early 910, get a chip from Moto One and go from there.

3) Depends on

a) your dealer and

b) your ability to do some things. Either way, it's less than any of the Ducs I've ever owned. ;)

4) Depends on...

a) your personal preferences. The Duc either has that timeless V-twin feel or that horribly dated V-twin feel. The Duc is visually rough in terms of overall package.

b) where you live. If you ride canyons or track, the poor f/r weight distribution of the Duc will tax that old chassis. The Brute has the edge here. If you live/ride flatlands, the Duc will be fine.

c) your riding preferences.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Welcome :)

I use mine for commuting, track days, touring, everything else.

Just passed 20,000 miles.

It's an incredible machine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another Option

I had an S4R for two years with most of the standard mods (gearing, exhaust, PCIII, airbox) and I think the KTM SuperDuke is a lot closer to it than a Brutale. One reason I went with an MV is the shorter reach to the bars - the KTM's riding position is more like the Ducati. I also felt the engine was a lot smoother, but that's just based on one demo ride.

I also had an Aprilia RSVR Mille ('01) for two years and felt it offered a real alternative to a Ducati 996, but the current Tuono (just one demo ride) felt a lot bigger to me - the MV really seems small and short, which I prefer (I'm 5'9").

They're all cool bikes, and I really did enjoy my S4R, but I really like the feeling of being on a small scoot - the Hypermotard is tops in that regard, even though it has a longer wheelbase - the feeling of being right on top of the front wheel makes me feel more comfortable when cornering. If the HM had about 30 more hp, I'd probably have gotten one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like the hypermotard specially how since I am more forward on that bike but I am a short rider at 5-4 28 inch inseam so it is rather a stretch.

It sucks to be short =(

So for with all the feeback the brutale might be the small things I wish I got out of the S4R like a smoother engine and more refined parts and look. Don't get me wrong I love my S4R still =)

Now I need to setup a test ride an figure out which model I am interested in. I was thinking the 1078 would be a over kill for the street and it probabaly out of my price range anyways =)

So that leaves the 750s, 910s an 910r. I like the red frame an tail with the black tank color scheme which I think is only the 750s model so I will need to look for a used one since I think that model has been dicountinued. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
RobS4r said:
4.) Has anyone on this board been able to compare a S4R to Brutale.
Rob: I own em both (no imagination here as they are the same color, check my photo album). 2007 S4RS and 2008 910R. This is my second Ducati, and my third Brutie. The Ducati has the full Termignoni exhaust and chip, and the Brutale has the MV titanium exhaust and chip.

Here goes: Both bikes run like Jack the Bear. Both bikes ultimately come to a similar conclusion on the performance question, but through entirely different solutions. The torque on the Ducati is addictive, whereas the 13000 rpm wail of a full song MV without catalyst is unforgetable.

The Ducati is slightly more comfortable, after I installed Brutale handlebars in place of the Duc bars. The S4RS has the full Ohlens suspension which is very adjustable and I think it has a little more power than a S4R. The brakes on the Ducati feel slightly more comfortable to me than the Brutale brakes, but not by much. Also, the full Termi exhaust is the only way to go, as the Euro 3 noise compliance makes the Ducati sound terrible. I would not own any Ducati with the factory exhaust as is sounds constipated to me.

The paint quality, fit, and finish is slightly nicer on the MV, but only a tiny bit, and quite subjective. The MV feels in a very subjective way to be more like a fine Swiss Watch (pick your brand). I can't really tell you why.

Both bikes are way more bike than I am rider. Ultimately, I would conclude with the following thoughts: I enjoy both bikes very much, but as I'm walking away from the Ducati, I occasionally look back over my shoulder and gaze at it, but with the Brutale, I never fail to look back and smile....:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I forgot to add, re fuel economy. I don't get as many km per liter as I did on the tuono (12 - 13 compared to 15). But then again, you have to pay something for the performance of the Brutale; and you'll naturally be running at higher revs. On a longer ride with less fast riding, I would expect to get about 14 km/l. I don't know what more established MV riders have experienced in this regard.
Cheers.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Done quite a few km on the brute, which I've had since July 06. I love it. Can't say what it's like on the track, but I'd imagine it would be awesome.

I can speak of these:
I don't use it for anything other than pleasure. Solo: Two tours of more than a week each with backpack; a few 8-hr highway rides stopping only for gas; many sunday breakfast rides (some short but some up to 400 km) before the wife gets up; but mostly two-up to dinner in the evenings (15 km in the city). Total just over 20,000 km of pure love.

Get some (love, that is) if you can.

Oh, gas is expensive here, so add a small fortune for that.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
RobS4r said:
Friend of mine has the S4R, which I ride now and then..... We bought ours from the same dealer, so maintenance cost is about the same.

Riding position, brutale is very upright. Monster a bit more forward.... monster is longer. My first thought on hitting twisties on the monster was that it felt like a tank to turn.

gas mileage on both I think is bad, so not much change there.....

looks wise, the Brutale really incorporates the radiator much more than the S4R. that probably says enough right there.... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the S4R and thought I really liked it, that was untill I rode the Brutale! The Brutale is way more fun to ride and gets way more looks! Ducati is going to have to do something pretty amazing to get me back on a Duc! I sold my Xerox and have a Senna also ( I actually got the Senna first). MV is everything Ducati use to be, limited and not seen on every corner. 1098's are everywhere you look already and monsters are there all time best seller. I like the fact that most people don't even know what an MV is. To me, that is part of the fun of owning one of these bikes. Thank you, may I have another!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
My Thoughts...

Hi, welcome on!

I have an '04 Brutale 750. It's the "toy" bike in my stable. I pull it out because I miss it... I mostly pull it out on weekends for some law breakin'. Have done several 500 mile days on it, mostly to Tenn/NC Mountains and back... If you plan on riding the Brutale as such, I'd strongly recommend a Crampbuster $10.

The stock rearsets are CRAP, but they're pretty much the same as the stockers on the Ducati. If you get a 750, you MUST upgrade the headers and mid (cat removal) with the Arrows and upgrade the chip. This will make a world of difference, there's a very noticeable low-end pause stumble...

The 750 is an AWESOME bike--if you like shifting... Reviews called it the "thinking man's naked" it runs like a GSX-R 600, you have to constantly keep it in the revs. It's a sweet bitch of a beast, if you keep it on the boil. It's a sluggard if you let it go low... The 910 and up give you a lot more mid and low end, but they're also not as sweet and "lose" something on the screaming madness of the 750 full wound.

Chassis and handling are SUPERB. It will go and go on mountain roads. One recommendation--make sure you update the fluid to RACE spec DOT 4, if you plan to go hammering. I boiled my fluid once going back and forth repeatedly on US 129...

The Brutale DEVOURS gas... The mileage is HORRIBLE, 23-27 MPG worse than the average VOLVO. Maintainence costs are cheap/OK... I've about 4K miles on my bike and would estimate $600 or so for oil, filters, the 600M service and such...

These bikes OOZE soul. They will also call you out like none other--with an exhaust note that wails for miles... So much so that I've spotted myself getting lazered on several occasions. The Brutale one hell of a bike on the track, but I've only actually seen one on... I took mine to JenningsGP once when I was having Ohlins fitted on the GSX-R and people looked at me like I was flipping mad... They're crazy expensive to replace parts if you crash... A mirror is $200+ and the aluminum radiator side grill is $125... Tanks are $1500 and so on....

Hope this helps!

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
jice said:
The Brutale DEVOURS gas... The mileage is HORRIBLE, 23-27 MPG worse than the average VOLVO.[ QUOTE]

My 910R gets 31~35 mpg....I got 37 once while carrying a girl friend on the pillion (and riding much less quickly then I normally do as a result). Higher mileage then the 750 is probably the result of not having to twist the right grip as much to achieve appropriate velocities.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts