1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
And here I thought I was a badass for nailing a target at 1800 yards with my custom 7WSM bolt rifle right in the X ring! Sheesh. At that distance, even the earths spin comes to play. Heck, everything comes to play come to think of it!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Crazy. I am in the process of reading the book American Sniper which is the Autobiography of Chris Kyle (RIP) AKA "The Devil of Ramadi". It's pretty interesting what they have to go through in order to confirm a kill and ensure it was justified in order to follow the rules of engagement.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
nope!

a friend, Frank Dunai was with Erwin Rommel in North Africa......

they were equipped with either 88mm PAK or Flak cannons

the original 88 x 571R fired a 20 POUND projectile at 3280 FPS

the later ones used a 88 x 822R cartridges obviously faster :naughty:

over Schnapps a bet was made, the Reichsmarks piled up

next morning they picked a target......someone riding a camel 4350+ meters away

one shot from the 88 took the guy off the camel and didn't hurt the camel

an 88 will punch 200mm of armor at 1,000 meters

the M-2 750gr bullet starts off~2,900FPS BFD

these guys weren't snipers just good shots :drummer:

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
OK then, how is it that guys can't miss the friggin' toilet seat when urinating in a public toilet?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks Noel, the "88" truly deserved its reputation.
And the Germans were superior marksmen, ground forces and Navy too.
My childhood friend David Skola introduced me to his dad a German tank commander, Libya and the Eastern front.
Post war he became a personal assistant to a General and emigrated to the US. Ranna very successful catering business in McLean Va. Catered Patti Duke and John Astins'wedding in '72.
I asked him about the PanzerIV and the Panzer VI (Tiger), he said the Tiger was not super reliable but could "brew up" an opposing tank at close to a mile and a half with the 88. and the frontal armor was really almost impenetrable.
He also confirmed building a fire under the tank hull in the Russian winter, and heating oil to run the big
Maybach v12s.

Ed:)

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Ed, YouTube search Michael Wittmann.......

Germany's most decorated tank Commander

1 - 9 of 9 Posts