·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Motorcyclists at the head of a group of riders will face stiffer penalties for
speeding under a crown court ruling.

Being the lead rider in a group is an aggravating factor making you partly
responsible for speeding offences of those behind you according to the decision.

The ruling can be applied in any future cases where two or more motorcyclists
riding together are accused of speeding. The head rider might be only a few mph
over the limit but could be given the same penalty as the worst offender behind.

Road traffic solicitor Robert Dobson said: "Any crown court decision can be
stated in future cases. This is potentially a very dangerous judgement for
motorcyclists.

"Riders in a group change position frequently.

"If you are riding at the front any group at excess speed, then the very fact
you're at the front is an aggravating factor."

Ken Clark, 49, reached 85mph on his Yamaha R1 while leading a group of three
riders on the 60mph A272 near Rogate, Sussex, last June.
The speed is within the usual threshold for a fixed penalty of three points and
a £60 fine.

But Chichester Crown Court ruled he should receive the same penalty as a
following rider accused of going 103mph.

Barrister notes on the ruling given to Clark after the hearing state: `Although
his was the lesser speed, [the bench] found it an aggravating feature that he
was the lead motorcyclist, was setting the pace and he knew that the other two
motorcyclists would want to catch him up and would be speeding to do so.'

Sign the petition to overturn this ruling. do not allow the establishment to
discriminate against us SIGN IT.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Lead-Biker-Fined/

·
Registered
712 Posts
we have similar laws in the US. If Mr. Fry and Mr. Laurie robs the Quik-E-Mart and Mr. Fry shoots Apu and kills him Mr. Laurie could be charged with murder.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That law of 'joint enterprise' or 'concerned together' in an offence is well established in the UK, but this is something entirely different. It puts blame on one driver for another driver wanting to keep up. Normally drivers are completely responsible for their own actions and cannot blame other drivers for their own actions - and others cannot influence you to drive badly.

A new concept in UK law as far as I'm concerned (unless someone else has a precedent). :jsm:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The only thing about this is that it doesn't create a legal precedent (it's a case in the Crown Court, not the Appeal Court or higher) unless it has been reported in a legal report or a newspaper such as The Times. If that happens (may have already), it is law and needs to be appealed further or a statute passed to repeal.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
That microlite is looking more appealing every time I read one of these threads

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I became aware of this about a month ago and was talking about it with a friend of mine and how it could effect what we do when we are out riding together? He mentioned a few situations, one of which is quite relevant as it is something we all occasionally do and could bring innocent parties into the same quagmire as the perpetrator. This is the situation when someone at the back decides that he wants to be at the front; he passes everyone with sufficient speed differential to do so and then gets 'clocked' by the the covert police officer and everyone, even those who where just riding sensibly in the 'pack' get fined,,, how is this justice.

This is an anti overtaking law in the making, fear will make all cyclist hate anyone overtaking near them and will bring an end to group riding or leisure riding in general (which I guess is the intention) ?

Sign the petition, now !

ELTON......................Get yer ass on the case pal!!

:smoking:

·
Registered
520 Posts
So what we have to do is all bunch up behind a copper on a bike so he is leading.....then all keep dropping back and catching him up at break neck speed....and the copper gets the ticket??!!!! Ade, you might have just created some sport!!
(I know....totally irresponsible.....just when the hell am I going to grow up?!!:naughty:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts