MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here to MVs; have a 2010 Multistrada 1200 and thinking of trading for a Brutale. I see some 2009 1078s for sale. Any major problems with that bike, or better to spend 4K more for a 2010 or 2011 1090? I understand the 1090 has a longer stroke and smoother power delivery. And is San Antonio Ducati/MV dealer good?
Thanks
- Alan

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Hi, new here to MVs; have a 2010 Multistrada 1200 and thinking of trading for a Brutale. I see some 2009 1078s for sale. Any major problems with that bike, or better to spend 4K more for a 2010 or 2011 1090? I understand the 1090 has a longer stroke and smoother power delivery. And is San Antonio Ducati/MV dealer good?
Thanks
- Alan
Welcome to the forum Alan,

The 1078 and the 1090 are both going to be fantastic bikes. Ive ridden the 1078 and it is a mad/wild/crazy bike. As you say above, reports are that the 2010 bikes are smoother and easier to ride... If it was my choice and i had the bike you have (the Multi1200) i would go for the mad crazy bike.

·
Super Moderator
22,495 Posts
First....Welcome! Second, I just got my wife (don't read anything into that) a 1090RR and I have ridden this bike. It is one of the most intuitive bikes I have ever ridden...very predictable, and, as I understand, it has removed all of the abruptness of the former Brutale Series while maintaining the visceral strength of the bike.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome. 1090RR vs. 1078RR has been discussed in many threads. Do a search and you will find plenty to read.

Basically the 1078RR is an all out mean machine, while the 1090RR is refined.... Smoother power and a larger platform (more comfortable for bigger guys).

I personally love the original. I sold my 910R when I heard the new bikes were coming out, then when I saw them in the flesh I bought the 1078RR as a leftover. I just like it better personally.

Question - I'm curious about your Multi 1200. Already selling it? What gives?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the nice replies. I'm frustrated with the fuel injection on the Multi. Surges, hiccups, and occasional stalls. And frustrated with Ducati for their response. "Don't ride below 4000 rpm".
Had a 2008 CBR1000 with perfect fuel injection, but wanted a more comfortable bike. The Multi is comfortable, but really annoying FI mapping. Closed loop Mitsubishi/Siemens ECU, not like the previous Ducatis I've owned with Magnetti Marelli open loop FI. I'm not afraid of 1078 power, I just want clean FI that can pull from 2500 to redline without a lot of glitches. And I think the new Multi has too many "gadgets". The only thing I like is the traction control. I run exclusively in the full sport mode, and would never ride it off road.
So, I guess I need to do a 1078/1090 search. A new 2009 1078 has a $14K asking price, and that would leave a little room for a few goodies.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for the nice replies. I'm frustrated with the fuel injection on the Multi. Surges, hiccups, and occasional stalls. And frustrated with Ducati for their response. "Don't ride below 4000 rpm".
Had a 2008 CBR1000 with perfect fuel injection, but wanted a more comfortable bike. The Multi is comfortable, but really annoying FI mapping. Closed loop Mitsubishi/Siemens ECU, not like the previous Ducatis I've owned with Magnetti Marelli open loop FI. I'm not afraid of 1078 power, I just want clean FI that can pull from 2500 to redline without a lot of glitches. And I think the new Multi has too many "gadgets". The only thing I like is the traction control. I run exclusively in the full sport mode, and would never ride it off road.
So, I guess I need to do a 1078/1090 search. A new 2009 1078 has a $14K asking price, and that would leave a little room for a few goodies.
lifes like a box of chocolates:f4:

·
Registered
272 Posts
That's sucks. I commute 400 miles a week on a BMW R1200GS, but I'm not a BMW guy, so when the new Multi came out I was thinking of getting one.....until I rode it! My mind was quickly changed for the EXACT reason you say. The fueling is HORRIBLE!!! Plus, I really didn't like the exhaust running under the motor, that is just stupid for any kind of off-roading. Believe it or not, I actually do off-road the BMW. It's a good all-around commuter bike.

Anyway, if you're the type of guy that likes a stripped down bad-ass bike you'll love the 1078RR. It is my favorite bike to ride! You will be smiling ear to ear. I thought exactly how you're thinking too... I paid $14k for mine which left me a lot of money for upgrades compared to the 1090RR. I got mine repainted, full MV Corse Ti exhaust, full carbon replacement for all the ugly plastic parts, and an Ohlins shock. I think I'm in it $22K and it's fully tricked out. I love this bike!

And as far as I know there's no real problems with these bikes. I haven't had any as of yet. Mine came with the upgraded water pump and it stays cool. The stock fueling is pretty good. The MV Race ECU is better (of course). I won't be changing it.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Welcome to the family Alan :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
First off welcome on board fella.

I have the 1090RR and find easier to live with than the 1078 as it is more refined. There has been a lot said on here about the rear hub and it's bearings causing some owners grief but I believe the 1090 got an upgrade and that has solved the problem. Some of the others on here maybe able to explain it better.

Throtle can be a little snatchy on both but it's nothing that fethering the clutch can't control. The mirrors are shite to, but hey, it's about moving forward not back.

The foot rests are a little bit small for me but rearsets soon fix that.

Which ever one you end up owning you'll never stop smilling.

Oh and add a bit extra time on rideouts to allow for admirers questions about the bike.

I gave my bro a shot of Brutie and when he got off I could see him grinning ear to ear before he took his lid off and then the words " holy fcuk that thing is insane, can I keep it " all that after only 15 mins in the sadle.

To me that says it all. Here's to many happy miles under yer bum

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sat on a 990 today, and seemed pretty comfortable.
those bikes are gorgeous, I must say.
Leaning towards a 09 1078 at discounted price. A little concened
about the rear hub though from what I hear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
sat on a 990 today, and seemed pretty comfortable.
those bikes are gorgeous, I must say.
Leaning towards a 09 1078 at discounted price. A little concened
about the rear hub though from what I hear.
It's like anything mechanical mate if you don't look after it and perform regular maintenance it will rightly go wrong on you but if your willing to do the right thing then you should be fine.:brutale:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I got my 2009 1078 RR used w/ 450mi on it, upgrades from a Ducati Dealer for $13k. Chew on them a little, there is room for negotiation. LOVE the 1078, the new 1090 is more like what this bike is not supposed to be, if you want a calmer "Jap" easy ridability, save 8k and get a Ninja. They calmed it down to incoorporate a wider rider market but it lost a little of it's attitude. It's like a Brutale on Zoloft. I like the review of the Brutale 1078 that said it is like riding a bull that has been kicked in the balls or a caveman on steroids.

I am 5' 10" and it is made for someone my height. Any more and it starts to get uncomfy. The 1090 is stretched out a bit and can accomodate a cpl more inches. Wow, that sounded like a description of a drunk chick at the end of a frat party night. :)

All I can say is I enjoy holding on to this Bull after a good nut kicking. :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
:alang - Welcome
Get to ride them both - they are both great just have very different characters - you will know after a couple of miles up the road..

jchaplin4 - "Wow, that sounded like a description of a drunk chick at the end of a frat party night."

I Reckon this by khameron gives a pretty good representation :smoking:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31508&highlight=fork+torque

1 - 17 of 17 Posts