MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All members:

I have been reading the forum for a few days now (referred by a member), so I want to introduce myself and ask a few questions.

I have owned a BMW k1200Rs, an Aprilia RSV mille factory and I am bikeless for now in the market for a new "toy".

I have a deposit on a Ducati 1098, but lately I have been tempted with the possibility of an MV F41000S. I can basically get a MV 05 or 06 new S both at the same or a few more bucks of what i can get the Duc. (1098 base).

Having always loved the MV, this is an interesting option I am seriously considering.

I know we are talking two different configurations (twin vs. 4 cyl). But I wanted to ask you guys your experience with the MV.
  • What should I look for when considering an MV, anything in particular I should pay attention to?
  • Any known issues on these two year models?
  • Any "must do" upgrades? (read some posts about upgrading to radial Brembos)
  • how much are the services. what about intervals?
  • Has any of you experienced the 1098 and the MV? how do they compare?
Any other info I should look for should I decide for the MV (or will make my decision easier).

My riding is basically on the street, not track yet and when I do will not take either an MV or Ducati to it.

I know these are many questions, but I thank all of you in advance for your valuable input.

Regards to all.

Blackmagic.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
The 1098 for sure is a nice machine. Of course a lot of us on the board will tell you to get the F4 1000S with a little bit of bias. Not only is it a very well performing bike, it insinuates a lot of passion for its beauty and design.

Some may complain that the rear brake doesn't really do anything (i can agree). The machines are very well performing and are built with extreme care.

I think in the end it is a test ride to see the differences. If you do a search on titles for 1098, a few here have done test rides (i can note twoeleven has done one).

P.S. Get the MV ;)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
They are similar yet very different, so a ride on both will help you.
For my opinion I actually believe the MV 1000S is a better road bike, better finished, engineered and just feels really special. This is why I sold the Ducati SPS and brought the MV
The 1098 is more a track focused machine and as such is more dare I say, crude and rattly etc. A one eyed Ducati guy loves this, others not so much.
If you really only want a nice road bike you can't go wrong with a nice MV 1000S.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Welcome! And I'd like to help you out with your questions (as far I know anything about it...):

• What should I look for when considering an MV, anything in particular I should pay attention to? Look for a 1000R :stickpoke but the 1000S is nice too :king:
    Any known issues on these two year models? I had a speedometer bolt coming loose, but that's not a common issue. Leaking coolant is what you hear most...
    Any "must do" upgrades? (read some posts about upgrading to radial Brembos) Radial is possible, but not necessary imo. PC3 or Rapid Bike is to get it running smoother at low revs. RG3 exhaust and carbon are nice to have.
    how much are the services. what about intervals? Every 6000 km and about 300-600 euro for a service.
    Has any of you experienced the 1098 and the MV? how do they compare? I wouldn't know, but there is a huge difference between a v-twin and 4 inline in engine character. And yes, get the MV :guitarist

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Hmm. Have we meet on another forum before? ;)

Okay, I'll be honest here and this is something I won't say on the 1098 forum. I'm a bit disappointed with the reliability of the 1098 so far. You've seen the same thread I have so you know what I mean.

In regards to the MV, MV has had six years to work out the bugs on the F4. And reliability is pretty good. In terms of service costs, take a look at this thread. http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3552

Also, with the 312 coming in a few months, maybe you could get a F41000R at a better price. That would give you the radial brakes, ligther wheels, and upgraded clutch.

Also, like MVASyd said, the F4 has a more refined than the 1098. I say this swaying between twins and fours over my riding career. The 1098 w/ Termis sounds awesome but when I had them on my old 748, sometimes I wished I could turn the volume down. Also, the fit and finish on the 1098 didn't really knock my socks off.

So, personally, I will probably get a 1098 someday but I want to wait till they work out some of the bugs and wait for the prices to go down. Hey, they may even come out with a 1200 in a year or two. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello all:

And thank you for your responses. And yes, Allan I think we've met before, (unless someone is using my AKA).

I agree with you in terms of "first production" reliability, that's why I am looking so closely at the 1098 forum and I am starting to see minor things (minor yes, but as much as we want to justify them as being minor, personally there are no excuses when you are spending over 15K for a product.

I also agree having seen both that the finish of the MV is better, I like both bikes very much (the design of the MV better) and both have characteristics that are great and unique to each.

I have owned twin (aprilia) and 4cyl (bmw) and test rode many bikes, so in that area I like and enjoy each configurations for what they have to offer (that is what makes my decision even more difficult).

We shall see, maybe in the next few weeks I can test ride both (a friend of mine already got his 1098, but being in the NE he could not ride it yet) and I can take an MV for a test. But is interesting your comments that the MV is better suited for the street than the Duc, and I think that is a correct observation.

I think this is what I really need to do to make my final decision, but deep inside I can see the needle moving towards the MV more and more.

Thanks again and I look forward to reading more responses.

Regards to all.

BM.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
You know the perfect solution is get both. If you can get a good deal on a S model now and then get a 1098 base in a year or two -when they start discounting them. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
You know the perfect solution is get both. If you can get a good deal on a S model now and then get a 1098 base in a year or two -when they start discounting them. ;)
As usual, you will get some very good, well considered advice from the guys on this forum.

I agree with Allan.

I have just upgraded both my MV and Ducati - to a MV F41000R and a Ducati 1098.

The Ducati is very light and agile, and sounds great (if you like the Ducati sound).

The MV is overall is a better quality machine, very powerful, and the best looking motorcycle EVER designed and produced.

But you are comparing twins to in-line fours. As MVASYD said, the 1098 perhaps lends itself more to be a track bike. The MV is not a good bike for around town. It hates traffic and gets bloody hot. The Ducati is nimble enough to zip in and out of traffic. The power of the MV is linear and seemingly endless. Twins perform differently, and the Ducati will seem more rattly and tinny...

Both are SUPERB. I would forget the 1000S and got for the 1000R, it is better - especially in the Brembo monoblock brakes (which both the Ducati 1098 and MV F41000R have).

But Allan is right. I think everyone needs at least two good bikes. Try waiting for a part for an Italian bike when you only have one bike and the damn thing is in the shop for a month!!!

Bottom line is that I love Ducatis and could never imagine not having one. BUT, the MV is the BEST bike I have ever had, and ANY MV model (well any F4 anyway) is magic.

:f4: :f4: :f4: :f4: :f4:

Cheers
Doc

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
DoctorMV said:
Both are SUPERB. I would forget the 1000S and got for the 1000R, it is better - especially in the Brembo monoblock brakes (which both the Ducati 1098 and MV F41000R have).
Not so sure I would be so quick to pass up the S... It may be a better bike but is the extra cost worth it to the perspective buyer.

Just going on what I've learnt from here but the R is even more track oriented than the S with stiffer forks and it also runs hotter in traffic. The brakes are better but with a pad upgrade they are more than good enough.

Maybe if I had more cash I might think differently but faced with these purchase options I would still go with an S.

I don't consider the base model 1098 on par with either of these MV's and would not even consider it (as an only bike) unless you are willing to upgrade it to the 1098S.

·
Registered
968 Posts
DoctorMV said:
ANY MV model (well any F4 anyway) is magic.
And the crowd goes "ooooooooooooohhhh!"

Blackmagic said:
I think this is what I really need to do to make my final decision, but deep inside I can see the needle moving towards the MV more and more.
This is like an arm wrestle that's suddenly swung in favour of one of the parties, and there's no way it's going to swing back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is like an arm wrestle that's suddenly swung in favour of one of the parties, and there's no way it's going to swing back
I guess now the big thing is color, blue/silver, black matte, silver/red....decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
328 Posts
I saw a 1098 the other day and the welds on the swingarm were horrific. I hope this was a one-of-a-kind problem and not indicative of the whole.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Blackmagic said:
I guess now the big thing is color, blue/silver, black matte, silver/red....decisions, decisions...
I bought an F4R, coming off an RC51. I love being back on an I-4, reminds me of my old tz in the power delivery. I personnaly think the wheels, suspension and brakes (not to mention engine) changes are worth the added price. That said, if I were to pick up an S the color choice would be obvious--siver/blue :hitit:

BTW, if you want to stand out in a crowd of Ducati's, show up on an MV :smoking:

·
Registered
301 Posts
RobP said:
I bought an F4R, coming off an RC51. I love being back on an I-4, reminds me of my old tz in the power delivery. I personnaly think the wheels, suspension and brakes (not to mention engine) changes are worth the added price. That said, if I were to pick up an S the color choice would be obvious--siver/blue :hitit:

BTW, if you want to stand out in a crowd of Ducati's, show up on an MV :smoking:
I'd go for the R, in "sinister black". The red/silver is OK, but I love the black color scheme of the R.

And yes, even though I'm vp of the local Ducati Club, I often take the MV on club rides...... :flickoff: :highclap:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rockethouse said:
Not so sure I would be so quick to pass up the S... It may be a better bike but is the extra cost worth it to the perspective buyer.

Just going on what I've learnt from here but the R is even more track oriented than the S with stiffer forks and it also runs hotter in traffic. The brakes are better but with a pad upgrade they are more than good enough.

Maybe if I had more cash I might think differently but faced with these purchase options I would still go with an S.

I don't consider the base model 1098 on par with either of these MV's and would not even consider it (as an only bike) unless you are willing to upgrade it to the 1098S.
Hi I am new to this forum but have been following it for some time. I too have been keen to own an MV F4 for a long time now (since I rode the original 750 in 2000). I ride a 2000 model R1, which I have had since new, but am now keen to get a new bike. I am now seeing F4 1000S available in Australia from $22,000 (and thats from a dealer & most have very low kms) which is really making them a viable alternative to the Jap 1000's. I saw a tread here last week where a fellow bought a 1000S with RG3 & less than 1500km for $24,000.... that would suit me perfectly. For street riding the 1000R would be great but I am not sure I can justify the extra cost.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts