MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just installed a new dampener kit as described in my previous post. The units look great, the powder coat matches the tanks key cutout and the anodized damper bracket matches the bar clamps. See pictures below.

This unit is the only one that locates the damper properly. The damper is centered between the tank and the handle bar area, other units would have to move the instrument cluster to position properly.

The Scotts damper has advantages over the piston type. Piston dampers have to convert the tripple clamp arc into a linear motion by fixing one end or the tube body with a bearing, the piston plunger must also have a bearing. Some installations add a rod and bellcrank to get the position correct. All these bearings add play or backlash to the system. The entire purpose of a steering dampener is to get rid of head shake and micro impacts that your arm must soak up unconsciously. The more backlash or play the system has, the less effective the damper is at removing pulses.

The Scott rotary style dampener has no external bearing to build up cumulative play or backlash. The rotor arm is pinned to the frame, the housing is bolted to the tripple clamp. With my installation the pin is almost a press fit into the pin bracket. There is no perceptible play. The slot to pin interface has the smallest amount of play as designed by Scotts to allow for frame flex and fork bending in extreme conditions. The pin must be free in the arm so not to load the damper bearing vertically. The is accomplished by allowing the pin to rotate in the bracket. In reality the pin never moves more than a fraction of a degree. As you move the bars lock to lock there is no perceptible movement of the pin and arm slot because the center line of the dampener is over the center line of the steering axis. No wear will occur at the pin and crank arm interface.

The Scotts type dampener has a high and low speed dampening adjustment and a dampening arc adjustment. In dirt bikes this adjustment is handy but for street and track use the dampening range should be set for full arc, or lock to lock swing of your handle bars.

The biggest thing you will notice when you ride with this dampener is the lack of fatigue in your arms and how much better you feel after you ride hard through a set of canyons or track day. Most all of the micro pulses you never consciously pay attention to are dampened out. You will also sense a degree of precision; the bike feels so stable it acts like its on rails. Lastly the low fuel head shake the occurs under hard excels over bad asphalt is completely gone as expected.

I am not a bike part manufacturer nor do I plan on becoming one. I redesigned a new mounting system for myself. I made up 10 sets of parts to spread the cost of my solid works design time, cnc mill time, anodize, powder coat, spacer machining etc. If you folks have questions or would like to order an installation kit please pm me. The install kit is 160.00, the Scotts dampener cost I will pass through, the shipping cost will also be added.
Thanks, Edgar

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think your install kit looks superior and precision-strong! Have you compared notes with Scotts to confirm your assertions? I wouldn't be surprised if Scotts adopts your setup and pays you handsomely for the design improvements!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The good folks at Scotts worked with me on this project. They know how to contact me and will refer clients to me. The market for his dampener is too small for them to pick it up and sell it as there own. Honda makes more bikes in a day then MV makes in a year.
Edgar

·
Registered
266 Posts
The fact that Scotts worked with you to create this fine product is testament to its technical soundness! Thanks for improving our sport and passion!:)

·
Registered
268 Posts
The nice thing here is that you can transfer the scotts damper to any other bike you wish, just about. MX bikes, whatever. It's very versatile. That also makes it easy to sell on eBay if you ever need to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Motovation

ramenboy said:
Is it/how is this different from the kit offered on MotovationUSA? https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=211
I spoke to Motovation regarding their damper kit. He gave me a good explaination. From what he told me (and as I recall):

It is designedby acculign which makes quality products. The mounting kit replaces the stock handbar mounting point. The damper is screwed on to the mounting plate and the mounting plate is screwed on with 4 screws. This is to minimize the distance between the damper and the tank mount section. The design above appears to be mounted over the stock mounting plate. (the thing with the italian flag) This results in less flex and stress on the screws.

I was impressed by his patience and through explaination.

Personally, I am going to get an Arrow Damper to match my Arrow exhuast, plus its prettier... not the best reason, but good enough for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you look closely at my installation you will see my damper installation has the wiper portion of the Scott unit closest to the tank, and the bearing side closest to the instrument panel. No other unit is mounted like this. The distance from the axis centerline of the wiper arm to the edge of the instrument panel is too short to allow mounting of the damper in the other position. You cannot be properly centered over the pivot axis of the fork assembly with the other designs. Please see my other 2 posts.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Looks clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi -anyone know where i can get an Arrow steering damper and a cheap midpipe that fits my Brutale? have only had it for 2 weeks -appreciate anyone who can give me info. thx

·
Registered
922 Posts
Update: Thanks to ezepilot and my credit card, I've just installed the Scotts w ezepilot's mounting kit. The whole kit is very well made and finished. Very nice job. Looks great too, imo. Highly recommended. Did 5 minutes round the block and it already feels straight and true while hands free over speed bumps. Will ride properly and responsibly later this week...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks to ezepilot for sending the steering dampener kit to Australia. The packaging and instructions are 100% and your help appreciated. The steering dampener is installed on my bike and I can feel the difference already. The bike feels very stable in the front end and there is no vibration. It will be great for longer trips and I am planning a big ride mid year. I am still fine tuning the settings and I am finding it easy to adjust. The finish is great too, I am very happy with the latest modification to my bike.

Missy

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Vixen said:
Thanks to ezepilot for sending the steering dampener kit to Australia. The packaging and instructions are 100% and your help appreciated. The steering dampener is installed on my bike and I can feel the difference already. The bike feels very stable in the front end and there is no vibration. It will be great for longer trips and I am planning a big ride mid year. I am still fine tuning the settings and I am finding it easy to adjust. The finish is great too, I am very happy with the latest modification to my bike.

Missy
What are those black brackets on your bars?

·
Registered
41 Posts
910rwantobe
Thanks, I got the key ring from an Australian importer Moto Arena. It's the type of keyring you can never lose :)

fazer6
The black brackets are from a set of KTM hand guards I have on the bike.

Missy

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been getting a little worried here too, as Edgar & I have been Emailing back & forward a bit of late & his last Email to me was the 20th March. He hasn't responded to my last three which isn't normal for him.
"Dearpixel" have you heard from him of late ?
Hope all's well there in his area for him & his, I know some are getting bad storms/twisters over there but not sure if it's his area or not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts