MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm having a new sprag clutch installed on my 2013 800 Brutale. Has anybody had any issues with the updated sprags after installation. I know some people have have 3 of the earlier ones replaced:brutale:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had my 5th installed last month (on a 2015 Dragster).

Regardless of the 'updated' parts and regardless of battery, they seem to last about 3000 miles apiece.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Man that's gotta drive you nuts, I'm at just over 11,000km and not a single issue with the sprag on my Dragster. I think I'd be tearing my hair out by 5 my local dealer is slow at everything, 5 sprags would take over half the time I've owned the bike for them to even think about sorting.
Hope this one lasts longer for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man that's gotta drive you nuts, I'm at just over 11,000km and not a single issue with the sprag on my Dragster. I think I'd be tearing my hair out by 5 my local dealer is slow at everything, 5 sprags would take over half the time I've owned the bike for them to even think about sorting.
Hope this one lasts longer for you.
Haha yeah, it's pretty maddening. I'm at 16000 miles (so ~26000 km). The dealer has actually been super responsive and pleasant to work with, but between the sprags, the radiator imploding, the quickshifter ceasing to quickshift, the taillight deciding to not work anymore . . . it has been a not entirely ideal experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sprag Clutch

Hi Guys Thanks for the update. My bike is just over 3000km. Dealer is replacing it this week. Lets hope an aftyer market firm can provide a long lasting replacement. I just love riding the bike & can't think of one I'd rather have

·
Registered
560 Posts
Trying to get number 5 put into my bike. This will be the second of the new design for me. So, to answer your question, yes I've had issues with the new parts. Mad props to U26 for getting 3000 miles out of his, I get about 2k from mine. Its super fun when you have to get your bike to a dealer 300 miles away and you know the bike wont start if you turn it off. I guess thats the real reason the bike came with two keys...one to leave the bike running and one to open the gas cap with :naughty: stay grounded!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had four failures, and the battery was never the issue. I even had it fail with a 12 cell lithium that spun the motor are better than consistent speeds. I'm still on the first NEW designed one though...so far.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if its a QA issue when the motors are finish machined. Thats the only thing that makes sense to me as far as how random the issue is.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Although its not ideal to keep bunging new sprags in its cheaper than bunging a new engine block in.

Makes you wonder how long they'll keep doing it for free. Speaking as someone who's still on the original.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is different with the newly designed sprag? I am getting my bike delivered next week. Do y'all think I should get the new one installed or just wing it until it goes out?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You'll certainly have the new one in a new bike. Only a very accommodating dealer will put a new one in if the current one isn't playing up.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Although its not ideal to keep bunging new sprags in its cheaper than bunging a new engine block in.

Makes you wonder how long they'll keep doing it for free. Speaking as someone who's still on the original.
My second engine spit out the sprag after about 1000 miles. That was when I get the redesigned one. It looks identical, just slightly different tolerances from what the tech tells me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the updated sprag fitted last week. Got it done by Moto Technica in Sydney under waranty. Great service even though I didn't buy the bike from them. They will be doing all my servicing in future. Will keep everybody informed how long it lasts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My B3 800RR was delivered in November last year, it had the sprag replaced at 3418km.

The replacement sprag looked pretty much same as the original.

Still running on the replacement, now at 16,665km and seems to be working ok...

·
Registered
560 Posts
To a certain point I agree. They'll have changed the sprag a total of 4 times (so 5 sprags) and I was told once that the sprag is close to 1000 usd to change. So theres 4k on something that they cant fix that'll happen again. I imagine the break even point would be somewhere around 6 replacements?

I'm keeping a running tally of how much money MV has put into my bike via warranty repairs (If I was paying for it. Obviously their cost is less). Assuming my mystical magical gas tank decides to ever show up (mines moved past bubbling and has decided to start cracking) it would be touching 2k to have that installed. Slowly getting closer to how much I paid for the bike :jsm:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm keeping a running tally of how much money MV has put into my bike via warranty repairs.
I'm sure the bill to ship a new engine to me in Texas via DHL flight was pretty steep. That and 4 sprags, the gas tank, and 3 tail lights. Oh yeah, fork service twice. I think the profit from my bike is long gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got the updated sprag fitted last week. Got it done by Moto Technica in Sydney under waranty. Great service even though I didn't buy the bike from them. They will be doing all my servicing in future. Will keep everybody informed how long it lasts
Hi Terry, how is the sprag going? I hope no news is good news, I was going to take my 13 B3 to Moto Technica when I get back home in April are they the go in NSW ? I live in the Snowy Mtns ?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Terry, how is the sprag going? I hope no news is good news, I was going to take my 13 B3 to Moto Technica when I get back home in April are they the go in NSW ? I live in the Snowy Mtns ?
As your '13 model bike is not under warranty, you might try Canberra Motorcycle Centre, who used to be an MV dealer. I always found them to be very good indeed, although I have no experience with their MV service. I can also highly recommend both Moto Technica and MV Parramatta.

regards
Scott

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Not to jinx myself, my 2012 675 is still on the original sprag clutch. I really wonder what on the 800 causes it to fail as I dont remember seeing any of the 675's with this issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts