1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well I can say my 2018 F3 675 is going past 5k miles in about 9 months, with the stock battery.

No issues so far.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well I can say my 2018 F3 675 is going past 5k miles in about 9 months, with the stock battery.

No issues so far.
The 675 didn't have as many problems as the 800 with regards to the sprag. My 2012 F3 is still on the original sprag with no issues.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Reactions: Brutale800RR

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey,

I haven't really seen anyone express problems when using the new starter assembly; perhaps I have missed the posts. I apologize in advance.

I want to confirm if:
1. Anyone has experienced starting problems after revising their Euro 3 bike to unit 8000C4242? or
2. Are having starting problems with their Euro 4 bike?

I'm sure MV stated all their Euro 4 bikes have part 8000C4242 as standard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 2015 Euro3 Brutale RR had the new starter clutch 8000C4242 when I got it 2000 miles ago and it just failed.

I have just replaced it with another 8000C4242. There are others on the forums with similar problems, however from what I understand there are three elements to the upgrade to ensure future reliability:

1. Replace the starter clutch assembly with the part detailed
2. Upgrade the battery and the power cables from it to the starter relay and back to the starter motor, also upgrade the earth cable to match
3. Upgrade the software to the latest Euro4 version.

My bike had the new starter clutch assembly and a Yuasa battery upgrade but the power cables were stock and the software has not been upgraded.

I have fitted a bigger Lithium battery with 290 CCA and upgraded cables prior to having the software updated.

There are many on this forum who know so much more about these issues - just search sprag clutch to get the full low down.

HTH

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mine goes in next week just waiting for the dealer to get the software, sprag replacing under warranty even though it's a 2015. Two trips to the dealer 1000kms in total so I hope it works.

Reactions: taahir.lewis

·
Registered
188 Posts
I been trying to buy this and my results are zero..there is one on e-bay but for some reason it wont allow me to purchase it with a credit card..

UPDATE:I had to register through paypal and it will be here in a couple of days...Dec. 9th...I will do the mechanic work myself and test some products that should help it last longer..

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, I got it running! I disassembled the new sprag/clutch assembly and lubed it with the Tungsten Disulfide micro lube powder and installed it back into the Dragster RR and it starts like a new starter again. This is the 3rd sprag in 14,000 miles..#1 the original #2 the dealer put one in under warranty #3 the one I just installed...It was about a 6-7 hour job I could do it a lot faster if I have to do it again, I don't have a shop manual..If you decide to do it yourself buy a good quality #30 extended torx some of these tested me a little and I thought they might roll but I kept them planted and straight and they came loose and spun out pretty easy..I will take it for a winter ride this weekend...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got the phase sensor error last night. Have ordered new sprag from starwin trading this morning. My F3 800 has travelled 20000 KLM and this will the third sprag clutch installed.

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
I got the phase sensor error last night. Have ordered new sprag from starwin trading this morning. My F3 800 has travelled 20000 KLM and this will the third sprag clutch installed.
I hope you have had the software updated as well....and be sure you have a good battery and keep it on a smart charger when not riding!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Had the software updated when second sprag clutch installed. I commute to work daily in my bike and use the battery tender also. And today it started with no issues, I think my sprag clutch is on the way out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts