MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey y'all, thought i'd join the forum and post up my experience so far, and share some thoughts, as well as ask some questions.

My brother (Suryad) is on the forum, he owns a f41000 Senna - recommended I check out this place.

I got the rivale on a whim! I was looking to find a bike to fit my riding niche..I have a track only 2013 S1000RR, 2009 KLR650 for adventure rides/long hauls/light to moderate dirt rides.

I needed something zippy, fun, and exciting for quick rips. I was actually looking at the new Tuono (rode my bro's RSV4 APRC) and was very impressed. Didn't like the look of the Tuono too much despite the high tech gadgetry.

Looked over at the MV part of the dealership and boy was I impressed w the Rivale (and the new lineup). Read about the ride by wire mapping issues but also read the Rivale doesn't have these issues.

Anyway, picked it up and my thoughts!

What a great, great, motor! And this is from someone who is spoiled by a S1000RR engine. I've loved MV's motor and transmission. I've spent a lot of miles on a Senna and the feeling I get is that the MV motor /tranny combo are probably one of the best out there.

Engine noise.. i thought triumph triples sounded good, until I rode this thing. Wow, Triumph triple wail sounds lame compared to the MV now.

Dash, ergonomics are fantastic. It's probably the most comfortable bike i've ridden.

Front takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, its telepathic handling. The bike can be as stable or unstable as you want it.

I'm guessing it doesn't have a slipper clutch, which is fine, more fun to back it in!

I feel the throttle is a little fidgety, but controllable. Not an issue to me but I do wonder if theres a new map out? Any recommended dealers in the bay area/sacramento?

Heres a pic from a few days ago, picking it up!

Hope to learn a lot from you guys here.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Welcome along, I loved the Rivale, just a little too tall for me though. As for the throttle, try setting up a custom map, set everything to sport/race except the throttle sensitivity, I find that makes things smoother on my Brutale :)

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I feel the throttle is a little fidgety, but controllable. Not an issue to me but I do wonder if there's a new map out?
Congrats Sashi. The throttle is pretty sensitive in Sport mode, less so in Normal mode. As far as new maps, as part of the delivery process, your dealer should have installed any new map available.

Enjoy! :f4:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

2 questions so far. How do I go about changing the KPH to MPH?

And should I put the mapping on custom, and then tune the parameters from there? Does the bike need to be on for this?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Not sure if this process for going from KPH to MPH applies to the Rivale, but: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23310 If that doesn't work, there may be instructions in the owner's manual.

The fact that your dealer didn't set it for MPH is a bit disconcerting. So, maybe they didn't check to see if there were any new maps available for your bike.

As far as the Custom map, have not played with it. My Rivale was delivered in Sport Map and Traction Control level 4. I never changed it for the first 600 miles, and then I only tried out Normal to see what differences there were.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
And should I put the mapping on custom, and then tune the parameters from there? Does the bike need to be on for this?

Give it a go, you'll have to get the manual out for the process required, there's no way I could advise from memory, it's like reading War & Peace :laughing:

Have a look at this thread, assuming options are the same on the Rivale?
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55928

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! Having the dealer check up the km to mph code, i'll post here once i find out. Also finding out about updated maps.

BTW, are there any exhaust options out for the rivale, especially the one where it deletes that big boombox thing. That thing is quite unsightly, probably the ugliest thing on the bike!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats slick italia.. how do yoy like the noise? Btw are you guys using the 2 max min notches on the oil sight glass? Or the dip stick clutch cover cap?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Thats slick italia.. how do yoy like the noise? Btw are you guys using the 2 max min notches on the oil sight glass? Or the dip stick clutch cover cap?
Sashi, I would suggest looking at Design Corse's web site of exhausts available for the 800's. http://www.designcorse.com/shop/mv-agusta-parts/mv-agusta-rivale-parts/rivale-exhaust-systems

In addition to the Zero Exhaust, they have several others that forum members like. I ordered mine from Design Corse - they are a forum sponsor and great to deal with.

As far as the Zero Exhaust, it's pretty loud. I had a Bodis exhaust on my F4-312R and it was a little louder when you really got on it. The difference is that the Rivale exhaust is a little higher pitched, and on the F4 Bodis exhaust had a spot around 3500 RPM where you could roll by the cops and it wasn't too loud. On the Rivale Zero Exhaust, I can't find that spot where the exhaust is a little quieter. It just wants to roar everywhere!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, thanks for the info. Already been eyeballing the design corse sight, so much drool!

BTW are you guys using the 2 max min notches on the oil sight glass? Or the dip stick clutch cover cap? When I straighten out the bike and look at the oil sight window, it seems the oil level is not between the 2 notches on the window, rather, way over.. is this overfilled?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
BTW are you guys using the 2 max min notches on the oil sight glass? Or the dip stick clutch cover cap? When I straighten out the bike and look at the oil sight window, it seems the oil level is not between the 2 notches on the window, rather, way over.. is this overfilled?

Oil sight window? You have an oil sight window? Can you post up a picture please?
I don't think I have one, have to use the dip stick on the oil cap (to obtain correct level you have to screw it all the way in)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok its not an oil sight window upon closer inspection LOL. Is it ok if the oil level is a little bit above the max marker?

·
Registered
272 Posts
ok its not an oil sight window upon closer inspection LOL. Is it ok if the oil level is a little bit above the max marker?
The proper way to check the oil is:

1.) Be sure bike has sat for min 5 minutes after running.
2.) Be sure bike is sitting straight up and down.
3.) Pull dipstick and wipe dry
4.) Screw dipstick in, fully threaded.
5.) Remove dipstick, oil should be between 2 lines.

If oil is over 2nd line, drain oil until it is between 2 lines.

Overfull is not good in any motor.

I've found a quicker way to check the oil is not to screw the dipstick fully in, but actually insert the dipstick and turn anti-clockwise a time or two, then pull it. If the oil is at the lower line or above it up to .250", you're good.

·
Registered
272 Posts
BTW, are there any exhaust options out for the rivale, especially the one where it deletes that big boombox thing. That thing is quite unsightly, probably the ugliest thing on the bike!
There will be a new F3 slip-on released within the next few months that is a true 3 muffler system. 3 pipes, 3 mufflers, no ugly cans or boxes under the bike.

The system was designed with 4 key characteristics in mind...

1.) Aesthetics (true 3 muffler, 3 pipe slip-on)
2.) Boost usable power (mid-range)
3.) Weight savings
4.) Sound

This slip-on was designed and manufactured in the USA and was inspired by Massimo Tamburini's designs. It had to look as if the master designed it himself, which in all humbleness, I believe does.

The slip-on has been tested and will be available this winter.

It's manufactured of 304 Stainless and weighs approximately 5lbs, half the weight of the stock 10lb box/muffler thing.

Photos will be available soon, but I've attached the dyno results of my 2014 Rivale for a sample of what's to come.

All 4 design goals listed above were met. The sound is amazing/shreaking!

The Rivale that was dyno'd is box stock except for the slip-on.

Power is amazing in the middle and didn't suffer at all on the top.

There's a sneak peak of the muffler tips in another photo on this site.

More to come......

Attachments

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
There's a sneak peak of the muffler tips in another photo on this site.
Any idea where that photo is on the site?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts