MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I purchased a brutale 800 last week and am breaking it in. What a wonderful bike!! I was told by one of the service people that normal riding rpm should be around 7000 rpm is that correct? What's the best rpm for fuel economy?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Fuel economy?

Hello I purchased a brutale 800 last week and am breaking it in. What a wonderful bike!! I was told by one of the service people that normal riding rpm should be around 7000 rpm is that correct? What's the best rpm for fuel economy?

Emm, welcome Raider, I really do hope you have not bought an MV Agusta thinking it's a Toyota Prius green save the planet type thing, it is an Italian sports bike, it does not care about being green. The best way t run it in is just ride it, warm it up and thrash it, it needs to be ridden hard.

Enjoy

jimboF4

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
The best rpm for fuel economy is 0 :D

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I can honestly say I've never worked out the mpg on any of my bikes :laughing:
I keep it to around 6000rpm for the first 100 miles and then 80% of full beans until first service. All I know is that first tankful is the last time I get that many miles out of a tank :laughing:

Welcome along by the way ;)

In all seriousness though, if you want the best fuel consumption then keep it between 4-6000 rpm in each gear, but that's like finding yourself in bed with Scarlett Johansson and pecking her on the cheek and saying "night dear" :laughing:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess fuel economy wasn't the best word to use he said 7000 rpm will get all the junk out of the engine so it's better for engine I suppose I just can't wait to get the first service done so I can see what this thing can do!! Coming off of a 750 cruiser this is a whole new world and loving every bit of it

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Good man

I guess fuel economy wasn't the best word to use he said 7000 rpm will get all the junk out of the engine so it's better for engine I suppose I just can't wait to get the first service done so I can see what this thing can do!! Coming off of a 750 cruiser this is a whole new world and loving every bit of it
Guess your tech guy just wants you to take the new bike easy so you settle in good. My advice, just warm her up good and ride her hard, you wont do any damage, they are run in at the factory on a dyno, so no harm can be done.

Your going to have some fun, enjoy it.

jimboF4

·
Registered
122 Posts
In all seriousness though, if you want the best fuel consumption then keep it between 4-6000 rpm in each gear, but that's like finding yourself in bed with Scarlett Johansson and pecking her on the cheek and saying "night dear" :laughing:
Hahaha I love it!

I can't comment since I haven't taken delivery on my bike yet but I would imagine driving habits will dictate fuel economy. Just like any car out there. Did you ever see that top gear episode where they compared a Prius to a bmw m5 for fuel economy?

The Prius raced the track while the m5 had to just keep up. M5 ended up being better economy because it didn't have to thrash it to keep pace with the Prius.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Jimbo's right, the initial run in is more about bedding in the brakes, suspension, tyres and you than it is the engine. That's why I run it in for the first 100 miles, usually in a mixture of different environments so I do lots of stop/go and up/down through the gearbox and not just 100 miles on a motorway in 6th and then I don't worry about taking it easy :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome bro.
Bed those rings in by quick hard throttle, back off and repeat up to about 50kms worth. Vary rpm the whole time.
Good time to bed in brakes as well.
Change oil, bed in complete.
Basically the engine has been factory tested already, you are just ensuring a good seal between rings and bore.
Draining oil removes any remaining metal.
Refill with fresh oil and go find out what she really can do and why we all love the rush.:smoking:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts