MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Aus and have come across a pretty hot price on a new Michelin Power Cup Evo rear tyre 190/55ZR17
My bike is a 2006 F4 1000 1+1
Before I commit I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these ( good or bad ).
All comments welcome.
Cheers Phil.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thats the tire I will be using next during the warm season. I went with Power RS in the cold weather and I really liked its characteristics. The ACT and 2CT technology that Michelin is using seems to be the ticket for me. Stable upright without excessive feedback. Neutral behavior turning in and at full lean. I think this is the first time that a tire is advertising the idea of aggressive lean angles for a street tire with less concern about standing water traction. I agree that if its raining I'm either not riding or not leaning over anyway. The power RS has a lower operating temperature range in comparison to Supercorsa SP V2's and so it does better in the cold compared to that tire. But seeing that I can make it sticky at 45 F it will be out of its temp range during the summer. So in comes the Power Cup Evo for me. If it behaves like I think then I've got my two tire options depending on the season.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Are they marketed as a street tyre in Oz? In UK they're recognised as a race/track day tyre which would explain 'airjawed' point about aggressive lean angles. With that in mind, it might well be a very soft tyre (tire) that will not give heaps of kilometres (miles). Sometimes though, we don't really care about that!

I would be interested to learn more, Phil S, if you do buy them. Cheers!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jumping in this thread as I just purchased a 2000 F4 and the tires on it are 10 years old. Living in Colorado those temperatures you listed make that Power RS sound pretty good to me. It hasn't rained in a few months so not too worried about the wet but I do like to ride up into the mountains early morning where it is pretty cold.

·
Registered
565 Posts
10 Year old tires must go! Yes, sounds like power RS will do well for you in the cold and dry early morning mountains. Send pics of those roads... sounds great!!

Jumping in this thread as I just purchased a 2000 F4 and the tires on it are 10 years old. Living in Colorado those temperatures you listed make that Power RS sound pretty good to me. It hasn't rained in a few months so not too worried about the wet but I do like to ride up into the mountains early morning where it is pretty cold.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After doing a bit more searching I came across this SHOP for AU$189.00 and snapped it up.
Seems like a pretty good deal for what it is to me.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Just a note that the geometry on your bike is set up for the 120/65 front. Only a couple of options in that tire. If you switch to a 120/70 front you have many more options, but may have tire rubbing on front fender and radiator guard during hard braking.

I just bought a set of 2cts and Diablo Rosso Corsas since they both have the 65 front as an option. Thinking of using the Diablos for track and Michelin for street/cold/wettrack.

Be sure to chime in with your feedback.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I have the Power RS. Found it fairly expensive but it is the best tyre I ever had. It transformed the F4 completely. It had the urge to go wide in corners and that completely disappeared.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at my owners manual the tyre options they indicate ( at the time ) are : Pirelli Diablo Corsa & Michelin Pilot Power 190/50-ZR 17 (73W) Rear & 120/70-ZR (56W) Front.
Obviously tyre technology has improved and there's a greater choice depending on your riding style and preference since then but I'm pretty happy with what I've chosen.
Just need get some K's up now and see how it performs.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thats the tire I will be using next during the warm season. I went with Power RS in the cold weather and I really liked its characteristics. The ACT and 2CT technology that Michelin is using seems to be the ticket for me. Stable upright without excessive feedback. Neutral behavior turning in and at full lean. I think this is the first time that a tire is advertising the idea of aggressive lean angles for a street tire with less concern about standing water traction. I agree that if its raining I'm either not riding or not leaning over anyway. The power RS has a lower operating temperature range in comparison to Supercorsa SP V2's and so it does better in the cold compared to that tire. But seeing that I can make it sticky at 45 F it will be out of its temp range during the summer. So in comes the Power Cup Evo for me. If it behaves like I think then I've got my two tire options depending on the season.
I had the Pilot Power 2CT on my 750. It all started off okay then a huge ridge dropping off from the center of the tire to the outside developed. This made it feel like the back end was sliding out when I started to get it leaned over. Very scary. The natural reaction to this was to stand the bike up to avoid dropping it which meant tracking wide. I regularly ride track on an R6 so lean angle is not a huge concern for me. So it wasn't the lean angle but the way the tire wore that bothered me. Not very confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've seen the ridge develop on pretty much any tire that uses dual compound. The soft section wears out faster than the hard section creating a ridge there. I've never felt it do anything in my case but everyone has a "most common lean angle" and maybe that is the point where you ride and the tire transitions?

Finding the right tire is never easy. Cost, riding style and tire life are always in a battle with each other!!

I had the Pilot Power 2CT on my 750. It all started off okay then a huge ridge dropping off from the center of the tire to the outside developed. This made it feel like the back end was sliding out when I started to get it leaned over. Very scary. The natural reaction to this was to stand the bike up to avoid dropping it which meant tracking wide. I regularly ride track on an R6 so lean angle is not a huge concern for me. So it wasn't the lean angle but the way the tire wore that bothered me. Not very confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
TRUE, but the person I quoted says he's got a 2000 F4 with 10yo tires on it
Been busy moving but I am finally taking the bike in to get all new fluids, oil change, and new tires. Unfortunately the shop only had the 120/70 front tire in so I'm going to go with it and hope it doesn't rub. Also going with the 2CT's since they had them in stock. Good news is the front tire isn't expensive and I can switch it out later if it becomes a problem. They seemed to think it would be ok. Can't wait to get the bike back and finally be able to ride it other than the little rides around the block.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only got one ride in on the new 2CT tires but they feel way better than the 10 year old tires that were on it. The 120/70 front tire is scaring me a bit as it is extremely close on the front fender. Bike is finally polished up and looking good!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're a step ahead of me - I haven't had time to get my new tyre fitted yet.

Only got one ride in on the new 2CT tires but they feel way better than the 10 year old tires that were on it. The 120/70 front tire is scaring me a bit as it is extremely close on the front fender. Bike is finally polished up and looking good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts