MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Link does not show anything. Cut and paste says page not there..

What's the new series? Format?

·
Old Wing Nut
22,159 Posts
Dorna is working with Wayne Rainey to start a program (race series?) to develop American riders to compete at GP level races....

Lord knows the AMA/DMG have destroyed the top level racing series we used to have. Poor Josh Herrin proving the point.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
What are we doing here that prevents us from issuing competitive racers? There are various levels and types of motorcycle racing. I'm sure the skill pool is there. Is there just no incentive for the riders to move up? Is there nobody looking for racing talent in NA for moving up? We have world class racetracks, though I'm still not sure why the most popular racing events are on oval tracks. It's like they lose the crowd when the vehicles turn right.

With rapid increase in popularity for MX events, I'd think that the interest would carry over better to other motorcycle racing. Maybe we need to bring in Irish road racing type events. More Pike's Peak type events like "Race The Dragon". Given the popularity of street racing and "Real World" events and programming I'd think this would help build a much more diverse skill pool of racers.

Motorcycle racing just has to become more available to the viewing masses. The viewership for Nascar and MX racing is huge and made easily available. The only motorcycle road racing I can see without a subscription is Moto2/3/GP and only the race for 2/3, broken commercials (fine for a 200 lap nascar race, but brutal for 28 laps), that's it. Where's the inspiration for young riders. They can learn some tricks aspire to make lots of money riding a dirt bike or they can aspire for relative North American obscurity trying to get a position in in the Moto world to toil away while the factory bikes look you over for younger talent.

I like motorcycle racing, but it's far from popular or publicized here in Canada and the above is purely based on my on thoughts and views because, for me, any lack of depth or insight into the organizations and levels of the sport purely fall on the organizers and marketers. I'd love to learn more, but I'd have to dig and don't have the time. I don't follow follow NASCAR at all, but I know more about the racers, tracks and cars than I do some of the sports that I DO follow. That's effective marketing.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no question that the talent pool in the US is terrible at the moment. Last years "Superbike" champ is running at the back of the field in Moto2. If Josh Herrin is the best the US has to offer things aren't looking too great. There is no doubt the AMA series is a complete joke. We need a series that starts off at 125's and moves up from there as that is the best way to develop talent. Just take a look at the guys running in the 600 class of AMA. They still rush into the corner, back the bike in, and then try to fire out on the gas. They carry no corner speed compared to the guys in Moto2 or Moto3. They need to learn how to carry corner spped and the best way to do that is riding the smaller bikes with little power. Until that happens the US riders will continue to be overlooked.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't think the talent pool in the US is necessarily lacking. I bet if you put some of the club level racers on equal machinery (exclude Herrin please) then they will run with some of those dudes. Hayes got 7th in guys wild card race in GP on the tech 3 bike which I thought was impressive. Anyway my point is It's not like there's no talent here, it's the lack of opportunity.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
We can only hope, pray and press our thumbs that this will be a success story.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
I hope it helps you guys, fuck knows we need something like that over here in Aus. Problem is I don't like that Espelata knob, he's doing his best to mess WSBK up in favour of MotoGp, this proves it. Just what I see from this side of the pond.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Much more promising than I ever thought.
The AMA championship was one of the top national series, was it not? The AMA had international talent competing in the series. How did it go from many races to just a few is beyond me.

From where I see it, Valentino Rossi, Marc Marquez, and Jorge Lorenzo to name a few started racing in motogp 125 at around 15 years of age. These guys have had their natural talents nurtured to be MotoGP Champions. They travel around the world with MotoGP, they are around the top riders in the world from a young age. We don't have that here in the US.

Can the US series become a great series again? Of course it can. It will just take a lot of money and publicity. There are a lot of riders in the US that would love to compete and become pros. However, I see a lot of club racers struggle to gain support.

As for the Oval tracks in the US? NASCAR is huge and so are their tracks. The smaller tracks don't have the experience nor the infrastructure to deal with large number of people, not that a large number of people go to watch motorcycle races (at least not like they do around the world). Case in point NJMP 2009 AMA, there was no additional bleachers and hardly any extra restrooms compared to a regular track day. There was a good number of people in attendance but NJMP struggled with their inadequate infrastructure.

Hopefully this new series will:
1. bring money / sponsorships
2. start them young
3. have a proper "move up" series
4. have proper TV coverage

I hope they can pull it off, it would be awesome!

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
DMG ran it in to the ground. We can only hope that Rainey and Co can bring some level of respect back to US road racing.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I didn't read it (I'm lazy, sorry) but hopefully they'll bring in sponsorships from non-motorcycle related companies like BSB. That's what's hindering AMA, in my eyes.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I wonder if they have a plan to televise it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts