MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how vBulletin keeps track of last visit and whether it is configurable, but one of the features I use a lot is New Posts. I like to see active posts to see what people are talking about. However, it seems that the last visit data is reset if you go to different areas of the site, for example Registry. What I'm seeing, is that New Posts doesn't stay active for long. I'd have to retest, but it might even be reset when you post. So you might at first see five posts that are new. But after you reply to a post, or go to the Registry for example, you come back and there are no new posts.

It would be nice to reset last visit only on a new browser session, so that you could reply to a post and then come back and see what other new posts are out there. I know other sites have managed to do this.

Worst case, another option that would be nice is Today's Posts, but that isn't as useful if you don't visit the site for a couple days.

I just thought I would mention it and see if you could take a look and see if this could be improved. This is one of the most useful features for me to find posts that I want to review.

Thanks and let me know if I can help or provide more info.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
It has been something on my mind also-

Will definately look into it and see to it that this problem is fixed.

·
Registered
774 Posts
What did I see ?!?!?!

You have no MV in the registry, Admin !

What's that, you have none, or you just forget ?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
With all the recent traffic I am starting to run into this more and more often. I'll reply to something and go back to find that "sorry no terms matched' means I can't see the list of 'New Posts" I used to read everything.

Is there a timer we could extend or another mechanism?

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
What is it that you mean by "sorry, no terms matched"?

I seem to be able to go through all the posts and reply to whatever alright, but not sure if others are encountering an error. Please let me know more details

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
When I first come to the forum I click on "New Posts".

Output is a list of all updated posts since my last visit.

I start at bottom/oldest and click each successive post in turn.

If I stop to reply to a post I very often back out to the "New Posts" list but instead of coming back to the list of "New Posts" it returns an error that no terms matched my search. php "new posts" is a search term IIRC and it seems I have passed the timer threshold to view them all. I effectively lose the rest of the list that I had not yet viewed.

Sometimes as I'm going through reading I can still see the entire "New Posts" but they are no longer highlighted as NEW and thus I can not view "read unread". Clearly I have again passed some sort of threshold that tells the forum I had already read given the time involved.

Hopefully that better explains.

Is this not how everyone views unread posts?

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
I just read all of the ones with a colored MV logo next to it and then the new posts are the ones with red bold titles. I am careful not to use the "back" but instead navigate using the top navigation feature (ie MVAgusta.net > Site Related > ...." to navigate back and forth between the general area and a sub-forum. This way, all the ones that are "read" by me already become regular typeset rather than bold (while the forum categories become non-colored). I never use the new posts feature

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
admin said:
I just read all of the ones with a colored MV logo next to it and then the new posts are the ones with red bold titles. I am careful not to use the "back" but instead navigate using the top navigation feature (ie MVAgusta.net > Site Related > ...." to navigate back and forth between the general area and a sub-forum. This way, all the ones that are "read" by me already become regular typeset rather than bold (while the forum categories become non-colored). I never use the new posts feature
That's what I do, I didn't even know there was a "new posts" button.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I get the same thing happening as Jack does, its either a time thing or replying that marks unread posts as read. Havnt tested if its still doing that since this thread was started but i guess ill find out in a little while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts