MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, at least it is here.

My name is Alby, I'm 53 and living just north of Adelaide, South Oz.

Been riding for the last 41 years...last 37 0n the street.

Had an assortment of Jappas, couple of Pommy (UK) bikes (the inevitable Bonneville) and an 02 Speed triple.

Been playing with HD's for around 23 years and still have an 05 FXDL in the shed.

I have admired Mv's from the old days when as a kid I was reading about them winning races under the guidance of Mr. Agostini.

When the F4 came out, I like a lot of people was blown away.

I have only ridden one, a 750 some years ago and loved it, even though IMHO it ties for the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden (with the Triumph 675 Daytona).

At my age I must be mad even thinking about buying one but they really are special and I may yet do it.

I've been doing quite a lot of reading here over the last few weeks....fascinating stuff.

I have a question and would appreciate all answers.

Given the time and money again would you buy the same bike you now own, another in the MV range or another brand?

OK, hope I didn't get too long winded there...

Alby.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
alby im the same age and have a very simular story except the hds only ever had 3 and 1 of those was a 250 2stroke

but to answer the question yes yes yes +i gell seat cover...... i can honestly say my 2006 910s brute is the best thing i have riden it takes me back to my teens............1 draw back not enough points on my license

·
Registered
601 Posts
welcome albymangled,
I wouldn't let your age hold you back, If anything, once you get the bike it will keep you "young" forever.
Since my racing days are over, I was getting a bit out of shape, which helped convince the Wife that i simply can not live without a proper track-bike.
Get yourself a New F4, the cure for mind and body (cant ride these things if your out of shape).

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
gday mate
im 36yrs old
ive had two now, one 00 f4750, and now an 05 f41000......
i would buy both in a new york minute again. love them love them love them
such beautiful bikes for me

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Firstly, thanks all for the welcome & your replies...

Hey Alby, you may just tempt me away from my Brutale. It needs to go to a good home.
And there in part is my dilemma....

I know the Brutale is far more suited to my 5 foot nine 280 lb self yet it is the F4 which always catches my eye...

hmmmmm....

MV and sensibility....?

I think an MV is something one buys with the heart not the head....

must admit there was an awfully nice looking Brute in Peter Stevens Adelaide on Saturday...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Take it for a test ride and you will be hooked...
There is a bunch of older generation guys riding f4's up here in Brisbane. They just alter the frequency of stops to cover any comfort issues.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Welcome to the forum Alby - start out with the Brute 2008 910r or later

...you will not regret it

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcome Cruiser...

Any reason in particular that you suggest not buying earlier than 08 model?

I see you have 05 in your fleet...

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
You are a youngster. I'm 63 and ride my F4 all the time. Yes it is a little firm but it's not a touring bike. I wouldn't give it up for the world. Welcome aboard

·
Registered
983 Posts
Firstly, thanks all for the welcome & your replies...

And there in part is my dilemma....

I know the Brutale is far more suited to my 5 foot nine 280 lb self yet it is the F4 which always catches my eye...

hmmmmm....

MV and sensibility....?

I think an MV is something one buys with the heart not the head....

must admit there was an awfully nice looking Brute in Peter Stevens Adelaide on Saturday...
I have also seen this color combination, and it is very nice. The prettiest Brutal 1090 produced up to now. If you have the opportunity to buy this, you will not be disappointed.

For me MV will always be the choice. I will have more bikes in my life. But I'm not sure if I will ever sell an MV.
I am a MV fanatic:naughty:. An expensive diagnosis.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Alby, welcome aboard. My last bike was a Ducati 998 before buying the F4. Do not be afraid of the comfort factor - the ergs of the F4 will grow on you. It is just such a fun bike to ride and very very special...would I buy the same again - in a heartbeat! Good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Engine young man,engine
Can you explain that a little further please?

Earlier engine is...?

Underpowered?

Unreliable?

Something else?

I am new to this marque...

·
Registered
547 Posts

My name is Alby, I'm 53 and living just north of Adelaide, South Oz.

Been riding for the last 41 years...last 37 0n the street.

Had an assortment of Jappas, couple of Pommy (UK) bikes (the inevitable Bonneville) and an 02 Speed triple.

Been playing with HD's for around 23 years and still have an 05 FXDL in the shed.

I have admired Mv's from the old days when as a kid I was reading about them winning races under the guidance of Mr. Agostini.

When the F4 came out, I like a lot of people was blown away.

I have only ridden one, a 750 some years ago and loved it, even though IMHO it ties for the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden (with the Triumph 675 Daytona).

At my age I must be mad even thinking about buying one but they really are special and I may yet do it.

I've been doing quite a lot of reading here over the last few weeks....fascinating stuff.

I have a question and would appreciate all answers.

Given the time and money again would you buy the same bike you now own, another in the MV range or another brand?

OK, hope I didn't get too long winded there...

Alby.
Without a doubt I would purchase an MV. I just bought my second MV (2012 F4RR)a year after I bought my first (2011 F4) and I am considering getting a 1090RR Brutale.

I do not want to sell either one of them especially when I open my Garage with both of them in there. My goal is to collect certain models starting with the Senna 1000 and then an F4 Ago.

I have owned Japanese bikes and for me there is no comparison as owning an MV. I found the MV more easy to work on especially for minor modifications.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Deano (55). Test rode a 920 brutale a few years ago. Absolutely blown away!. Had Harley's for a few years and wasn't happy with performance, braking or handling. Problem was my spirited riding wasn't complemented by the bike. Finances (lack of) saw me buy a Buell XB9R. Supposed to handle good. Have my dream bike now, 1078 Brutale. Makes the Buell look pretty ordinary. Kick myself for not buying it, or another model years ago. Best handling bike I've ridden. Add that to the power on tap and you're in heaven. As comfortable as any bike I've toured. Still, I can sit on a pushy for a few hours no probs. That trains your arse for anything.

Cheers

Deano

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts

Alby.
Hi Alby, welcome to the forum. :)

There's other brands of motorcycles? Damn, you learn something new everyday! :laughing:

Cheers ;)
Rob

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Cruiser...

Any reason in particular that you suggest not buying earlier than 08 model?

I see you have 05 in your fleet...
Sorry Alby - missed this question.

Generation I Brutales (e.g. mine) have had some systemic issues primarily with the SPU. My 750 is awesome but I've also ridden the Gen-II (910r, 910s & 989r) and the Gen-III (only the 990r).

Now I don't remember exactly where it is...but I think one of the senior guys posted a really good Brutale model comparison thread...gave a great summary that I wouldn't correct. (eddy ?)

The Gen-I's are well into 10 years old (design board) perspective - I love mine and will change it to a Gen-II model over the next 12months (910r or 1078r). The 990r was a stunning bike to ride ...but its about bang for buck (IMO).

(IMO) I believe Generation II's included a change to the SPU. The failures reported appear to be with '07 and prior models hence suggesting an 08. I could be wrong, but I don't think we've had a 1078 SPU fail. (plan-B is obviously an earlier model with confirmation that the SPU has been replaced ;-))

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts