MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sweet, that is a very photogenic track. I've been there twice, and the pics both times turned out great. It's like riding in a golf course.

What kinda times were you doing?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
luvtolean said:
Sweet, that is a very photogenic track. I've been there twice, and the pics both times turned out great. It's like riding in a golf course.

What kinda times were you doing?
Mid to High 1:30s on the Duc. 1:50 on the MV. I had massive vibration on the MV due to a misbalanced front wheel. Then my caliper was stripped and it was a wrap. Only got two sessions on the MV.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JamesC said:
What happened with the caliper anyway? The two bolts are of different lengths, did it have something to do with that?

An ugly repair but timesert may be ok?
Bolts are the same length. The threads actually came out of the caliper. It looked like a coiled up strand of hair.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
JamesC said:
An ugly repair but timesert may be ok?
I did that on an FZR caliper years back and it worked great. I felt bad doing it until I realized a properly done Heli-coil is actually stronger...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
luvtolean said:
I did that on an FZR caliper years back and it worked great. I felt bad doing it until I realized a properly done Heli-coil is actually stronger...
That's what I was told. I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow. If they won't warranty it, then I'm going to do this because I'm not shelling out $$$ for a new caliper unless I was doing the radial brembo setup.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Turbo329 said:
That's what I was told. I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow. If they won't warranty it, then I'm going to do this because I'm not shelling out $$$ for a new caliper unless I was doing the radial brembo setup.
Yeah, it's true. If they don't warranty it, don't sweat it. Just make sure you drill it straight. :D

My MV has a Helicoil in the coolant drain plug hole already...I think that cover is made from old Italian beer cans or something.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
luvtolean said:

Turbo329 said:

Do you guys mean to confirm it's ok to put a thread repair on the caliper, which I agree with, or were you being specific to say that a helicoil is better in this application that a timesert?

If the latter I completely disagree :eek:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nope, I've honestly not used a Timesert. I had to go look it up. They look real sweet, they fix my biggest complaint about a heli-coil by adding that counterbore/flange at the top of the insert.

For anyone that's not seen these, here's a vid showing how to use a Timesert:

http://www.timesert.com/video/StandardRepair.wmv

I was just saying it's OK to use a heli-coil in the caliper, and that a heli-coil can actually be stronger than the original aluminum thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts