MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying one of these but have never ridden one. I have tested a 999Ducati. The Duc dealer told me MV1004S is a track bike and not good around town. Is MV relatively easy to ride? I do think they look fabulous but need advice.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Hi and welcome. The MV is not purely a track bike, but they are not happy in urban environments. I strongly suggest you take a test ride. We on this forum are all MV nuts and so honour bound to tell you to go out and buy one, but I would take one out for a decent spin before parting with your cash. Me; I love my bike and wouldn't change for a Duke or anything else but then as I said earlier this is a MV forum!! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmmm...is it heat? Is the ride position much different from my 999? I guess my MV will never see a track, and it is fairly rural here in N.W. Arkansas , but I will ride from time to time in trafic with lights and what not. It's pretty steamy on the Duc on a hot day in the sun as it is. But heat is an air cooled 124ci rigid with hot billet parts branding their shapes into your skin.....hey but it looks cool. The MV is so sexy I say get it anyway...you can always hang it on the wall!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Is the riding position similar? Which is more comfortable? Since you have both which do you like better?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
the seat on my 998 is like a couch compared to the concrete slab on my F4.....but its worth it,,,dont even notice it after a while....
0 to 30 minutes damn this seat is hard.
30 to 60 minutes damn this seat sucks, my ass is sore
60 to 120 minutes its not so bad, the tingling sensation is kinda groovy
120 minutes + just fine...nice and comfy, my ass went numb and I cant feel a thing.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
hey ducostloti.....

I just noticed you are in NW arkansas.........I ride the ozarks quite often....Im out of Memphis area.

going to a ralley around bull shoals in late september.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
lewdog998 said:
hey ducostloti.....
I just noticed you are in NW arkansas.........I ride the ozarks quite often....Im out of Memphis area.
going to a ralley around bull shoals in late september.

We are also in the Ozarks all the time but usually stay away from rally crowds. I thought at first you meant the one in early Sept with the AR-GAP riders but dates don't match I guess.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
we tend to stay away from ralleys too, but a good excuse to make the trek to good roads....if we attend, we generally stay in our own group. Push mountain is one of our favorites. I do believe I saw a F4 up around allison last year which I though was unusual...I was on my Ago...we passed going in opposite directions. I generally ride with MSSR.(mid south sport riders)...if you have heard any bad things about us, its not true. Most every bad comment I have heard came from a newbie that crashed and did not "ride his own ride". I know Kathy and Arild of Ar-Gap had some problems with the "officers" a while back, but Kathy and Arild are good in my book.

BTW...you dont know a fella named Juan Arango out of DFW do ya?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
bourget1 said:
I am thinking of buying one of these but have never ridden one. I have tested a 999Ducati. The Duc dealer told me MV1004S is a track bike and not good around town. Is MV relatively easy to ride? I do think they look fabulous but need advice.
Your dealer is partially right.
Although the MV is not really a track bike (in the sense that you can and should also ride it in the street), it is true that it has a more "racey" feeling and ergo's than most bikes out there, and it's not an easy bike to ride around town, especially if you're somewhat of a shorty.
I say, test ride an MV (like you did with the Duc) and then decide if it suits you.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
It really depends on your definition of "good". Of course, the MV wouldn't be as good a commuter as a SV650. But that being said, if you're able to deal with the riding position, the MV is a decent around town bike.

My experience is with the 750 but I did use them frequently for heavy freeway and sidestreet commuting in Arizona summers. As I mentioned, riding position may be the biggest issue since you're leaned over more than on a Honda or GSXR, but the 1000 version has slightly higher handle bars. The clutch, brake, and shifter are a joy to use - so I don't see problem there. The only other problem is the 750 did tend to run hot while in traffic but no more hotter than the current R1 or a 999. If you're short like me (5'5") the seat height may be an issue.

But let me ask you this, and I speak for personal experience, what bike do you really want? I says this because a year ago, I had to make a choice between the MV1000 or a 999. Since I had two 750s in the past and the 999 was a little more ergo friendly, I went with the 999. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten the MV. So, it all really comes down to getting the bike you want. After all, for practicality, comfort, and economy, it's hard to beat a Honda Civic. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'v owned 2 Ducati's and will never again buy another. Both were less than 6 months old and had problems with both. First Ducati had gear problems and electrical problems. The second Ducati (only 1 week old) also had electrical problems. Not happy with the Ducs. Not to mention they are V twins. I have owned my MV since 2001 with over 20,000 miles and never had any problems whatsoever. I have since owned 2 more MV's, most recent the Senna. The Senna is much faster than the 999 I owned, not to mention more comfortable. I am not being bias towards MV's as I gave Ducati's a fair shot (twice).

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a similar experience to NFLPATS. I bought a 2005 749R new. From day one I had a problem that was difficult for the dealer to detect. After complaining for about 6-8 months and letting the dealer have it numerous times did they eventually figure out that the Ducati factory had incorrectly aligned one of the shims. The bike was stalling off of starts. It took 2 months to fix the bike. For that kinda money.. especially for a 749cc.. not even a 1000cc, i was quite disappointed. I have since sold that bike after I test rode an MV. I love the engine and feel from an MV way more than a Duc. Personally I would recommend the Mv but as everyone should advise.. you need to ride both and see which one "talks" to you best. Oh.. and I didn't mention the starter solenoid problem either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
HI GOT 2 DUCKS AT THE MOMENT,851SP3 AND A 998S.GREAT BIKES,NO PROBLEMS AT ALL APART FROM GET OUT OFF Y WAY WHEN THE CORNERS COME.(GREAT BIKES).NOW TO THE BRING THE SHIT ON.I HAVE OWNED ALOT OF BIKES,AROUND 50.BOUGHT A 1+1 LAST YEAR,ALL THE BIKES I HAVE OWNED DONT EVEN COME CLOSE.BUT THEN MY GIRLFREIND OPENED HER MOUTH AT THE LAST MOTORYCLE SHOW (THAT I SHOULD BUY A TAMBURINI).{BITCH}I SOLD THE 1+1 AND BOUGHT THE TAMBO.JUST REMEMBER THE FIRST TIME YOU HAD SEX,GEUSS WHAT THAT DONT EVEN CUM CLOSE.THIS BIKE IS (WHEN I RIDE IT)FUC*** THE BEST THING ON THE PLANET.IF YOU ARE CHOSING BETWEEN THE DUCK AND THE MV,THE MV IS THE BETTER BIKE.DUCKS ARE GOOD BUT F*** THE MVs ARE THE BEST.CITY RIDING I THINK THEYARE THE SAME SHIT CITY BIKES,DONT EXPECT THEM TO BE LIKE THE JAP SHIT.DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR BUY THE MV.IF YOU CAN SPEND MORE ON A BIKE AND LESS ON YOUR GIRL,BUY THE SENNA.ALL THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I rode a 999 in april, and I my approach was respectful.
Well...after 10 laps in Imola I though "is that all you can do, Duc?"
It's lighter and more comfy compare to MV, but sound and engine it's quite a different things. MV kick your ass :smoking:
It's right, it's not a city bike: heat up a lot, minimum steering angle, heavy and very low riding position. But when you learn to deal with it, all the others looks like bicycles (especially comparing materials and feelings).

Try it if you can ;)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I don't know if 1000s are better for this than my '00 750, but the worst aspect I find to town riding is the clutch. When the bike's hot (which is all the time..) I find the clutch grabby and imprecise which makes the whole drivetrain snatchy, causing slow speed, 90 degree turns in/out of junctions and around mini-roundabouts to be a precarious affair. I'm used to the comfort now and find that aspect no different to my 748 around town.

Also, the mirrors are pretty much unusable. I know lots of people say they never use them, and likewise I do shoulder checks before any manouever, but I'm used to using them with peripheral vision at least.

In short, the F4 is an awesome package, but there are much better choices if your commute to work is across a city.

Si

·
Registered
187 Posts
MV Agusta and Ducati are two totally different approaches on building a sports / race bike.
I have owned several Ducatis over the last 20 years and still own a 916 SPA beside a Brutale. I have ridden the 999 and the F4 1000 extensively.

The main difference between the MV and the DUC is the engine. The 2 cylinder DUC has lots of low end torque and flattens out arround 11,000 rpm.
This is where the 4 cylinder MV engine starts coming to life. So you have to work the transmission completely different to take the most advantage of the usable power band.
A DUC's engine characteristic is more like your S&S engine in your Bourget (I assume you own one considering your name). The MV engine needs high rpm's to come to life.

You have to ride them both to determine which one suits you better.

There where several comments about the reliabilty. Whether a bike is reliable or not depends heavily on the dealer and what you can do yourself.
If a dealer / mechanic doesn't know what he's doing it doesn't matter which brand you choose, you will be frustrated one way or the other.
Unfortunately there are very few MV dealers so this could cause a problem.

Pro's Ducati : Handling, SOUND !!!
Pro's MV: Finish, Design, Exotic Factor

From a historical stand point the 916 - 998 is the mother of all super bikes. If you can get a stock 998FE or a 916SPS or SPA and you want to keep it, I would seriouesly consider buying them. They will increase in value, which is not gonna happen with a standard F4 or 999.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
916SPS said:
There where several comments about the reliabilty. Whether a bike is reliable or not depends heavily on the dealer and what you can do yourself.

If a dealer / mechanic doesn't know what he's doing it doesn't matter which brand you choose, you will be frustrasted one way or the other.
Unfortunately there are very few MV dealers so this could cause a problem.
I agree about the mechanic/shop doing the prep and service. I've had three Ducati (748,996,999) and two MVs and the MV's tended to be more problematic. The MV's problems (at least the first one which was a headache) was really due to poor dealer set up. With the second MV, I learned there's little margin for errors on the MV (ie:fuel couplings can be crushed if you're not careful reinstalling the gas tank).

·
Registered
225 Posts
lewdog998 said:
the seat on my 998 is like a couch compared to the concrete slab on my F4.....but its worth it,,,dont even notice it after a while....
0 to 30 minutes damn this seat is hard.
30 to 60 minutes damn this seat sucks, my ass is sore
60 to 120 minutes its not so bad, the tingling sensation is kinda groovy
120 minutes + just fine...nice and comfy, my ass went numb and I cant feel a thing.
I never notiice the seat anyway, I ride mostly on the balls of my feet and hardly have my full weight on the seat for long. On long straight roads with luggage the seat may be an issue. I rode my Ducati 996 from London to Nice (France) a couple of times and whilst it was doable it was certainly no tourer, the MV F4 feels ergonomically very similar so I would expect a similar experiance.
I love my MV and cannot fault it :drummer:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts