MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - I'm new to this forum as I'm currently riding a Ducati MTS 1000s (which I love) but I seem to have the itch. Took a test drive on a 910s yesterday and fell in love with this amazing machine. I have a few concerns which hopefully can be addressed.

Reliablity?
I've been having a bunch of niggles with my Duc which never seem to quite get addressed. Not sure if it's the bike or the dealer, but lately have felt it's a little of both. I'm wondering how reliable members bikes have been? I read the post about the member who went 2000 miles in a few days and was surprised to see that no maintence was required. Is this the norm?

Parts Availability?
When you've need parts, do dealers generally have the maintainece items in stock and how long for special order parts? I've been reading about the race exhaust woes from the R owners, and that sounds a lot like Ducati.

Known Issues?
As with any bike, there generally seems to be one or two issues that plague a particular bike. On the MTS it's typcially exhaust leaks from the OEM system, digital display simply doesn't function and oil tends to weep from the filter. Was wondering what if any issues surround the 910?

Dealer Network?
This represents a huge problem for me living in south Florida. The ONLY MV dealer in Florida is DucatiMiami, which seems to be experiencing a lot of growth pains lately. (they are my current dealer for the Duc) It's bad enough that there is only one other Ducati dealer 70 miles to the north of my home who hates being a Ducati dealer, though several are located throughout the state, should push turn to shove.

If I needed another MV dealer, I would have to travel to another state - this possess a serious problem in my mind which is what prompted this post originially - reliabity. I'm assuming like with Ducati, Pro Italia is one of the premier MV dealers in the USA and could be used as a resource for parts. (makes me want to live in CA)

Here's the question, are forum members able to do some of their own wrenching on the bikes? Is it any more complicated then other in-line fours? What services must be performed by the dealer? I'm thinking if need be with the help of some friends, I could do most of the maintainence on the bike myself, unless those here feel otherwise.

Thanks for you're assistance and I must say, you all are very lucky to be riding such an extraordinary motorcycle!! If there is anything else you think I should consider, please let know, as I'm very taken with the particular bike but worried that it might be too exotic for my practical nature. Problem is, Japanese motorcycles simply don't do it for me.

TIA,
Stuart

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
addysdaddy said:
Reliablity?
I'm wondering how reliable members bikes have been? I read the post about the member who went 2000 miles in a few days and was surprised to see that no maintence was required. Is this the norm?

Known Issues?
As with any bike, there generally seems to be one or two issues that plague a particular bike. On the MTS it's typcially exhaust leaks from the OEM system, digital display simply doesn't function and oil tends to weep from the filter. Was wondering what if any issues surround the 910?
On reliability, perhaps it was me that did 2000 miles in a week or so. Both my friends on Z750 kawaski's were predicting that I would breakdown. It didn't need one thing doing to it or have any problems the whole journey, including 230 miles in torrential rain, and constant 34deg+ heat throughout the length of Spain.

Its up to 3.5K miles and just had its next service. No issues found but throttle bodies rebalanced which makes a big difference to the smoothness . My wifes Brutale is up to 4.5K miles and not one thing needed doing other than a service.

On issues I would say the throttle set up is the main one, you need someone who can set these up properly else you are plagued with hunting at mid revs and a slight hesitation on a closed to on throttle. It seems to get better with more miles but not enough to be definative on that yet.

I had a Multistrada before this and the quality of the MV is streets ahead, more like an RC30. Have a look at a engine mounting bolt, the machining (hence cost) shows why MV's tend to be so expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Blackbruty, really enjoyed your post about the 2000 mile trip which made me very yearn for such a holiday. I'm so in love with this bike (absolutely the "prom queen" of motorcycles) but again, being tied into the one and only dealer in my entire state is a huge negative. I've gotten to be friendly with the chief mechanic (from all my MTS visits & come backs) and he claims the MV is as good if not better than the Duc.

Are you planning on doing any of your own wrenching on this bike? How often are the service intervals on the MV? On the MTS its every 6k miles which includes a value adjustment - read time consuming and expensive. Speaking of the MTS, any regrets about making the change as there are some really great things about the Mulistrada that would be tough to part with. (i.e. top case for carrying stuff, two up riding and a small windshield to yield some quiet air when traveling at speed) Noticed the prototype screen that one forum member photoshopped which looked simply awesome. Actually I thought it was OEM and wanted to know the cost.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the feedback.

Stuart

·
Registered
312 Posts
hi addisdaddy,

Reliablity? : 9/10
Parts Availability? : depends on your dealer if he has a good service, ordering peaces can take quit some time . Italie is about 700 miles from home and 3 months waiting is no exception

Known Issues? :
beamer light in dashboard flicks up while shifting somethimes (no cure for it, just have to live with it (but thats not a problem at all ;) )
fluid liquid problem around 10k km, problem can be fixed very fast
i had my rear wheel coming of slowly from bridge (bad installation in factory, guess somebody got fired over there by now :bash: )
took some time to gain trust again in the bike, but i can tell you im over it now and loving the bike as like the first time i saw her

Dealer Network?
yes it seems you have a very big problem, like your ducati : its italian
and we all know for what that sometimes can stand
if you dont mind waiting (sometimes longer than you can handle) you should go for it . You seem to have been bitten by the italian virus, and there's no cure for it so :
If i was you : i would do it :yo:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the alert - the wheel thing had to be a trip. I'm hoping you didn't go down and somehow escaped what could have been a terrible tragedy.

Best regards & thanks,
Stuart

·
Registered
261 Posts
Reliablity has been good, even though I just have over 1100 miles at this point. There are plenty of stories of good engine reliability and more than one racer has gone all season without having to rebuild the engine. I think under normal spirited street conditions, the Brutale will do just fine. As far as dealers, I am fortunate, my dealer is only 5 miles from the house. I have been looking at doing my own maintenance though and I am getting a PCIII for the bike. To do the whole maintenance thing right though, you are going to have to get a throttle body synchonizer, CO sensor plugs with diagnostic software, and a PCIII. DynaJet has a CO monitor with software for around $500. Of course, a dyno would be beneficial, but you could at least go to the local dyno store for that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Approx 1000 miles only problem is finding time to ride it. Love this bike, had many others over 20 years of riding & racing, for sport riding, fun and second looks this is one fantastic ride. Even riding 2 up wife & I just did 50 60 miles out in the country...good stuff :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This brings up another point - with Ducati the shop uses a Mathesis diagnostic computer - so without that piece of equipment ($7k) you cannot do all the work. Is there an analogous computer within the MV world?

·
Registered
38 Posts
addysdaddy said:
I've gotten to be friendly with the chief mechanic (from all my MTS visits & come backs) and he claims the MV is as good if not better than the Duc.
Ducati is the first love of our dealer, but he says the same.

addysdaddy said:
Are you planning on doing any of your own wrenching on this bike? How often are the service intervals on the MV? On the MTS its every 6k miles which includes a value adjustment - read time consuming and expensive.
Nope, done my years of late late nights rebuilding race bikes to have had enough, plus having a badly broken wrist and both hands, not really got the dexterity any more. Can do most of a service on a Honda CB500 but thats my level now. 3.5K miles AFAIK.

addysdaddy said:
Speaking of the MTS, any regrets about making the change as there are some really great things about the Mulistrada that would be tough to part with. (i.e. top case for carrying stuff, two up riding and a small windshield to yield some quiet air when traveling at speed)
Noticed the prototype screen that one forum member photoshopped which looked simply awesome. Actually I thought it was OEM and wanted to know the cost.
None whatsover. Dont get me wrong, I liked my Numptystrada, always have loved Duke engines. It just started to corrode faster than I could clean it in just summer damp weather, let alone winter. At 8K miles I began to feel that maybe a big big bill was just round the corner. Traded that in for a K1200R (mistake!) and then the Brute. The Brute makes my heart melt every time I go into the garage.

Prom Queeen.. like it!

You MUST test ride one though, the 750's revs like a Hornet 600 and then some. The brakes, power and especially handling are in a different league though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did test drive the 910s BB and thought it was a smok'n bike - which is why I'm pulling my hair out. Been doing a lot of thinking today and actually might consider holding onto my MTS and just add the 910. A little concerned about your comment about one big repair being around the corner for the Ducati, thought I have no real reason to feel that way. My problems stem from inadequate service on the dealership's part, rather than a troublesome bike - at least up to this point. And once again, my Ducati dealer would also be my MV Agusta dealer - lucky me.

Stuart

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm sure you still will like you Ducati even after you get the Brutale. I have two bikes as well and the Brutale is getting most attention for the moment. There is something about that red headed Italian that keeps me coming back. Its a terrible addiction (but I love it).

Lorenzo

·
Registered
38 Posts
addysdaddy said:
I Been doing a lot of thinking today and actually might consider holding onto my MTS and just add the 910. A little concerned about your comment about one big repair being around the corner for the Ducati, thought I have no real reason to feel that way. Stuart
Dont be concerned, it was just a feeling on my bike - I know nothing about longevity on the MTS. Enjoy them both if you can afford it, I think they wouldcompliment each other very very well - long legged cruiser/tourer/go anywhere bike and a mad bastid fun factoy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Greg I just took delivery of my new 910R on the 25th of June. They are so reliable that teh dealer rarely adjust the valves at teh 600 mile initial checkup because their experience is that they have never had to make an adjustment until the next service at I think 6ooo mi. The only problem is a slight water pump leal on most until the seals seat and then this dissapears. I have never owned a smoother, more responsive and intuitively well handlingly bike. If you can find one, get it now as the '07 will not come with the all titanium exhaust system to be sent by the factory included in the price. The price will remain $18,000 MSRP and the upgrade is about $3,000 extra. You will not regret this purchase. My dealer had 5 clients waiting to purchase mine if I did not come thru.Those Bimmers are just too heavy for a naked. Absolutely nothing out there today comes close. My friend, the sales manager at the local Ducati. BMW, Triumph shop could not believe the finish, workmanship etc. of the 910R. He said the Monster S4Rs was not as well detailed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When I went to the local Ducati dealer with the 910 and compared it to the Ducks there was no contest. I know the Ducatis have a great racing history, but next to the MVs they look, well...industrial. Art cannot be denied.

Lorenzo

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Stuart,

I have a close connection to Cagiva USA and have broken in a few Brutales and F4s and have owned 2 F4s, an AGO and Tamburini.

NEVER have I been left stranded on a highway or had a mechanical failure on the road. Every machine has ridden well out of the box, and fit and finish been excellent. Very minor tightening or tweeking occasionally has been needed.

Parts are available, but sometimes a wait is necessary for special order stuff or cosmetic stuff as every dealer doesn't have all parts. Cagiva USA does keep a warehouse but I know some inner working mechanical shit may not be on the shelf, BUT airplanes do fly and parts are air-freighted regularly. These parts may take weeks.

Not having a dealer on every corner does make MVs less than commonplace BUT that is part of the appeal. Routine maintenance should be all that is required. Tam 292 just went in for 3K service, basically an oil change, and new tires. You will need to decide.

But formost if you buy, my recommendation would be to do NO mechanical or exhaust mods to the bike for awhile. See how it runs. Especially if your dealer is far or has issues. Once you start to fuc with these machines, ie. PC, fuel mapping, air-filters &/or exhausts EXPECT to need to have an expert tweek the system periodically.

Thats not to say don't do it, BUT wait. I would think a Brut910 would benefit with race exhaust, but not sure a stock F4 needs the upgrade :stopp: .

Good-luck and I hope you join the owners group soon.

Peter :rant:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts