MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I’d pop in and say hello, having just about acquired my first ever MV. I’m from the North east of England and have been messing around, riding, rebuilding and occasionally crashing bikes since age 11. It certainly doesn’t seem 46 years since I swung my leg over that Royal Enfield 250 and tentatively let the clutch out........ where it all began.

Fast forward said number of years and having owned examples from all of the major manufacturers except Ducati, I had my heart set on an S4R to sit alongside my 99 T509, 84 K100 (naked) and painstakingly restored (by me) 86 GPZ1000RX . Not being able to find a decent example, I came across this MV 750 in a dealer showroom. In truth MV had never crossed my radar, my only knowledge of the marque was the fabulous MV 750S (America?) from the seventies and which you could have bought several brand new Honda CB750’s for the same money.

I’m really struck on the styling and it suits my now preferred more upright riding position. I didn’t really know anything about them so a little research was undertaken. Owner reviews tended between absolute passion and loathing, although the loathing relates to poor reliability more than the way the bike rides.
One of the advantages of dealer buying, is the 3 month warranty that goes with the bike. It’s not one of these generic purchased warranties that only covers you in the event of catastrophic engine failure on the third Sunday of every other month but more helpfully provided by the dealer in case anything goes wrong

So, a 2004 8000 mile 750 Brutale with 2 dealer services under its belt and a third promised on delivery. I have 3 months to uncover its hidden secrets, I’m aware of the stalling issue and the crumbling rear hub bearing is there anything else I should be watching out for? Due to work commitments I don’t get the bike until 2nd April (I couldn’t bring myself to pick it up on the 1st!) Any advice from real world owners or forum members with experience and/or knowledge would be gratefully appreciated. Comments such as set fire to it or run away while you can, even if said with the best of intentions will not be considered helpful. The bike will be used mainly for sunny day run outs with the T509 and K100 taking care of touring trips. The MV is not intended as an everyday bike.

Cheers

Fent

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Welcome and get the Brutale.
It is a nice bike and You will have a great time with it.
No doubt about it.
Browse through the forum and You will learn more than You will ever digest about MV's and Brutale's in particular.
If there is a problem any when here is the place for advise.
On the other hand here were thousands of peoples asking about the same questions.
And I fear we are getting tired of writing every day the same.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Silentservice703 and Haupti.

I totally understand where you are coming from Haupti, I have searched through various MV forums for specific answers but one of the problems I've encountered and not limited to this forum is, not everyone uses a standard format in their post titles that makes searching easy. Then there is the issue about what to actually look for and is it a common problem or down to one particular bike. Hence the reason forums like these, which do contain the expertise, get flooded with 'what should I look for' questions. Newbies like me crave the knowledge of long term owners

I really like the model specific sub forums on here but my 2004 Brutale doesn't seem to fall into either the B3 or B4 categories, or do I have that wrong? I've absolutely no doubt, given the quality of information I've already uncovered on here, that if I find an issue someone will come along who has dealt with it or knows how to deal with it. Really looking forward to picking the bike up next Wednesday

I also feel it pertinent to point out that I've had more of a response on here in 3 hours than another MV forum in 7 days.

Thanks

Fent

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Fent, your 2004 Brutale is a B4.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase, and welcome to the forum.
One possible problem that you didn't mention is the dreaded SPU (service power unit). This can and probably will give you problems, causing electrical gremlins in lighting and engine running.
If it has already been upgraded, the back of it will be black instead of blue. The upgraded SPU is not known to give problems. It lives on the right hand side of the bike, behind the side panel and also incorporates the row of fuses.
The bike is more than worth the wee problems!

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
No worries Fent!
I do have such a Brutale S as well.
I bought it of a forum member unseen.
MV's are great reliable bikes, in highest quality hand build Italian art and girls dig Brutie riders, according to Randy.
More so they give You so much joy riding them that You will never look back.
And did I mention it already ? They look drop dead great.
Who cares if once in a blue moon anything fails ?
Than, in this rare situation, here is help and mostly even spares.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fent, your 2004 Brutale is a B4.
Thanks Silentservice703.............I feel I should have known that.

Madjock, thanks for that tip, I had thought that the stalling issue was related to the SPU. Were these a warranty replacement or is it a case of waiting to see if it fails and ordering a new one??

Haupti, I'll live with and what I've bought and sort any problems based purely on its looks. I'm still not sure I believe that I own and MV!!

Cheers

Fent

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sadly the SPU was never a recall issue but would be covered within your 3 month warranty if it goes tits up in that period. Luckily that's what happened with my wife's Brutale, but on mine, I had to buy a new unit at 385 euro's.
By the way, your Brutale is officially known as the Brutale S.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Welcome to the family!!
Don't over tighten the rear hub pinch bolts, don't over tighten the drive chain. Check the SPU for upgrade and get a newer part as preventive maintenance....if it hasn't failed yet it likely will.

Very strong and reliable engines......enjoy, and congratulations on your new ride.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Get your hands on it and ride it, you just got the best bike ever made. I`ve got an 05 so possibly slightly biased. Don't sweat on possible issues too much just do some research on here (as you are doing) ,there is always lots of help and advice,. Enjoy and welcome:brutale:.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. You'll have a shit load of fun on the best bike ever. Give the headlight glass a good pull before you ride it away. Mine fell out of my 2009 1078 recently just as I was thinking of doing the same thing next time I washed it! $1500 here in Oz!

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the welcome and the useful tips, pick my bike up on Wednesday (war, alien invasion or acts of God willing). Probably won't get to ride it until the weekend so I'll post my initial thoughts after that.

Cheers all

fent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts