MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
An IPO huh? This will mark the 4th time the Castiglionis have been bailed out or third?

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

It looks like the passion for the MV brand is weaker than the passion for the MV Euro.. Maybe MV is heading in the direction that Ducati took some years ago and will no longer be a niche motorcycle brand in the market place..

Time will tell

I’m beginning to think this word “Passion” actually has two meanings..

The first meaning : intense or overpowering emotion ( Rob !:)) for something or someone and the second meaning : a pretence of loving something with great emotion when in actual fact the only emotion is how much financial benefit can be gained from that thing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
All of you mocked me when i said that are taking the exclusivity out of the company ..... and that Mv will just be a brand name ...... its a shame what company can we look to for that dream bike rarity that seems to be something of the past? Bimota? Is that it?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
All of you mocked me when i said that are taking the exclusivity out of the company ..... and that Mv will just be a brand name ...... its a shame what company can we look to for that dream bike rarity that seems to be something of the past? Bimota? Is that it?
There's a chance you may be able to buy into the company.....

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts

It looks like the passion for the MV brand is weaker than the passion for the MV Euro.. Maybe MV is heading in the direction that Ducati took some years ago and will no longer be a niche motorcycle brand in the market place..

Time will tell

The first meaning : intense or overpowering emotion ( Rob !:)) for something or someone and the second meaning : a pretence of loving something with great emotion when in actual fact the only emotion is how much financial benefit can be gained from that thing.

Thanks Johhny, nice of you to use me as a yardstick to quantify a meaning :)

This doesn't surprise me, when I spoke with Giovanni in 2010 he gave me the impression that financial stability and sustainability would be paramount in the future of MV under his stewardship.

Sad in a way but a reality in this world, it is get yourself into that position or perish. There is no more room for artisan motorcycle builders, certainly not as a global business concern.

I guess I have a few years to make peace with it and rationlise it as imperative to future existence whilst not ideal better than the years between 1976 and 1999.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Bizarre that he also seems to have been appointed to the board. As an EVP, he is what is called 'management'. Management runs the day to day business (usually not farther than 18 months out). The Board is focused on long term strategy (1 to 5 years out). He seems to be appointed to both ? Not a good example of corporate governance.
And then the other thing...Italian banking background ? I hope they did a good background check.

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Johhny, nice of you to use me as a yardstick to quantify a meaning :)

This doesn't surprise me, when I spoke with Giovanni in 2010 he gave me the impression that financial stability and sustainability would be paramount in the future of MV under his stewardship.

Sad in a way but a reality in this world, it is get yourself into that position or perish. There is no more room for artisan motorcycle builders, certainly not as a global business concern.

I guess I have a few years to make peace with it and rationlise it as imperative to future existence whilst not ideal better than the years between 1976 and 1999.
I hear where you're coming from Rob and agree.. The one thing MV needs to concentrate on before any future plans for expansion, is their parts supply infrastructure and to make sure it’s robust enough to cope with the new set up of world wide dealers ordering direct from a distribution centre..

If that isn’t adequately funded and properly organised, then caca will hit the fan. New owners to the brand won’t put up with their bikes off the road for months waiting on parts..

If MV is to grow the business, it needs to attract a new generation of owners away from other brands (Triumph, Honda, Yamaha, KTM :blah: ). Those potentially new MV owners expect a certain level of service and won’t accept anything less than what they were getting from previous brands..

Bizarre that he also seems to have been appointed to the board. As an EVP, he is what is called 'management'. Management runs the day to day business (usually not farther than 18 months out). The Board is focused on long term strategy (1 to 5 years out). He seems to be appointed to both ? Not a good example of corporate governance.
And then the other thing...Italian banking background ? I hope they did a good background check.

I suppose it could be worse.. He could have previously been Berlusconi’s PR adviser.. I’m sure that wouldn’t look good on his résumé :)

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
I tend to agree with you on this. I see MV going mass market and it makes me a bit sad.

The reality is the world has changed and the market no longer supports expensive low production special machines anymore. For the time being everyone is pumping out machines built around a price tag so compared to the rest of all of those bikes the MV's will still be able to retain a bit of that special appeal for many years to come. The reality here is most people don't notice the differences between old and new. They just marvel at the performance numbers.

None of this changes the previous bikes which still exist and are quite wonderful. While everyone else is distracted buying the latest and greatest the previous models still have all their charm and magic in tact and become available at a much lower price. If you think about it in the big picture it's a win win situation. People get bikes they love at a lower price both new and old.

Personally I would love to see MV's become more common. It might make my F4 as invisible in a crowd of bikes as my good friend's Ducati is. :)

·
Banned
1,512 Posts

Words of truth. Real passion vs corporate passion. There is a difference.

Paganni and Lexus both have passion. Which style of passion do you want in your dream garage. :flash:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
If you don't get financial benefit, what's the point of being in business?

If sales were dropping, the same lot would be complaining that Giovanni has no financial ability and did nothing but run MV into the ground again.

I'm glad the company is growing, once MV get's to a certain size (20K bikes per annum), they should let Cagiva take over on the more mass market bikes to continue the growth (Adventure bike: Cagiva Elefant (3 cylinder Multistrada), a new Mito (250 4 stroke) etc.

I hope nothing, but prosperity for MV and as long as the company stays in Italian hands and away from the Chinese I'm happy.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you don't get financial benefit, what's the point of being in business?

I hope nothing, but prosperity for MV and as long as the company stays in Italian hands and away from the Chinese I'm happy.
I second this opinion and would definitely invest in the company if they go IPO. If you are passionate about a brand - exclusivity - and - quality - then it shouldn't matter. Public or Private, not everyone will be able to drop 20-30K to get one. Furthermore, our bikes will hold more sentimental value since they were not mass produced and that by itself is exclusive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You are right about the mass production part? Would you say that out of all the Italian motorcycle manufactures aside from Bimota, that Mv will still remain the smallest company? For example how is Aprilia in relation to company size?

·
Banned
676 Posts
"The reality is the world has changed and the market no longer supports expensive low production special machines anymore."

I think the reality is that (most of) the people with money to spend are RomneyBot accountant types whose idea of a good time is counting their money and deciding if a run for political office would be profitable. There are lots of people who could spend the money on a great piece... of equipment. However, except for movie stars and Elon Musk, most of them are BORING.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
"The reality is the world has changed and the market no longer supports expensive low production special machines anymore."

I think the reality is that (most of) the people with money to spend are RomneyBot accountant types whose idea of a good time is counting their money and deciding if a run for political office would be profitable. There are lots of people who could spend the money on a great piece... of equipment. However, except for movie stars and Elon Musk, most of them are BORING.
That's certainly true as well.

I worked for tech company who's CEO was the textbook definition of boring. After he screwed everyone in the company out of their yearly bonus he took his bonus and bought a 911 turbo cabrio. The exact same color as the 911 cabrio he already owned. He either is the most boring person in the world or smart enough to not attract too much attention after screwing so many people out of a sizeable chunk of change. I left the parking deck once at the same time and he carefully drove that turbocharged monster like a grandma with a colostomy bag. I'm guessing he was just boring and wanted a status symbol for hobnobbing at the country club and the base 911 was not good enough anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts