MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Brand new, first time MV owner here. Last weekend I bought a used TVL '17 with 38,000 km on the clock. I've immediately discovered an odd issue with it though.

Every single time I ride the bike, at some point around 5 minutes into the ride, the rev limiter lights above the dash display will come on and stay on permanently until I switch off the bike. The two orange lights come on solid, and the red light in the middle flashes.

There are no other warnings displayed anywhere, either on the screen or down the side where the LED warning lights are. There seems to be no change in the running of the bike before, at the time, or after the lights come on.

I should mention I have also been having an issue with the bike getting too hot when standing still at idle for more than a minute or two, but I honestly think these things are unrelated.

I have tried to tell if it happens while I am doing some specific thing, but there really seems to be no reason other than just "after about 5 minutes". I could be cruising along comfortably at 4,000 revs, or idling in traffic, or anything at all and the lights will reliably come on and stay on after a few minutes of the bike running.

Note that I am a relative beginner to riding and a very conservative rider, so I have never been anywhere near the actual red line while riding this bike.

I've had a look in the manual but it doesn't mention any use of these lights for any reason other than when the engine is approaching, or above 12,000 RPM, and the red one flashes intermittently when the bike is off to indicate the immobilizer is active.

I have revved the bike above 11,000 in neutral to see that the orange lights do indeed light up when it approaches 12,000 RPM, so the rev warning function does seem to be working normally in the first few minutes before they come on and stay on.

I will probably end up taking it to the dealer to get this addressed, but if any one can give any hints or advice before hand it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hello & welcome

I am sorry to hear of your problems. I am unable to advise, but there are plenty of wise people on here who will.

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,355 Posts
Welcome. Have no idea what could be wrong. Try disconnecting the ground lead from the battery for about a minute and reconnecting. Maybe that will reset something

·
Super Moderator
23,533 Posts
Have you gone into your dash menu to see if the limiter is set to "Hard" or "Soft"?

The things that come to mind are things like a dirty connector for the speed sensor, or a dirty connection at the dash....

·
Registered
828 Posts
Is yours an SCS model?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Wing Nut
21,577 Posts
Welcome to the family @Vidamus !! What part of OZ are you riding in?
The rev limiter lights are illuminated by the tach signal from the ECU....is the tachometer working normally when this happens?
Sounds like something the dealer needs to look at. Either a meter electronics problem (maybe a loose connection, but probably not at the harness connection if the tach is working correctly), or a ECU signal issue.
Do let us know what you learn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I did try a few of them to no avail and eventually I took the bike to my nearest local MV dealer in Sydney to get it sorted it out. The mechanic just rang me to say he's figured it out and so here's the scoop!

The problem was that the front brake sensor was stuck on because part of the wiring was pinched under a cover plate where it should not have been because it had been reassembled incorrectly at some point in the past. Eventually the insulation had worn through on the wire and now it was shorting on.

He figured this out by noticing that the brake light was always stuck on which is something that I myself hadn't noticed. It also explains why I could never get the cruise control to work!

The repair quote was cheap (for motorcycle repair work, oh how my expectations have been beaten down) and should be ready to pick up tomorrow. Good outcome, yay!

@esq'z me I am based in Newcastle, though about to move to the Gosford area.

Cheers all

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently the newer SCS models have a park break feature, and as part of that feature they implemented this warning condition to alert the rider to the park brake being left on while the bike is moving. I couldn't find any mention of it in my TVL'17 manual because it's not a feature of my model. But apparently my dash firmware has been upgraded and this warning condition came along with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So to summarize the issue for anyone else having this problem.

Symptom: Rev limiter lights at the top of the dash are coming on and staying on (orange lights solid, red light flashing) while the bike is in motion regardless of actual engine revs. Also, cruise control refuses to engage.

Cause: The dash computer has detected that the brakes have been engaged for a long time while the bike is in motion and is attempting to alert you that you've left the park brake on (a feature of TVL SCS models).

Older, non-SCS TVL models can still show this warning condition if the dash has been upgraded with newer firmware, because all models share the same dash computer firmware.

Remedy: If you've got a TVL SCS model, then the first thing to check is that the park brake is fully disengaged since this is the reason this warning condition exists.

However if you are sure that the park brake is disengaged, or you do not have an SCS model, then you may have a problem with the brake sensor detecting that the brake is activated when it isn't, this was the problem with my bike. I suppose it's also possible that one of your brake levers may not be returning to the full release position. You can check these by making sure that your rear brake light gets brighter and dimmer when you activate and deactivate the brakes.

·
Wing Nut
21,577 Posts
A good outcome and thank you for the detailed explanations !! Ride safely.... ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is why I love this forum so much, you learn something new every day. Welcome to our family!
Best regards from Croatia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts