MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I didn't see a specific section for this but I wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I've been lurking for awhile and I like this place already! I live in Salt Lake and actually bought an 04 Brutale in Texas and rode the thing back to Salt Lake... what a way to start on my first Italian bike huh?

Questions I had while riding back... what are the mirrors even for? Checking to make sure the Alpinestars logo's are still stitched onto my jacket? Cause thats all I can see with them, lol.

I run GP shift on my street bikes and race bike... whats the cheapest way I can get that on my Brutale? I can't just flip the knuckle like I can on my R6.

Anyway, i'm loving the bike so far and I can't wait to do some mods to it! Here is the bike on the way home from Texas:

It has the cat removed and a PCIII on it (with just the stock map which is waaay to rich). MC Corse carbon front fender, key guard, upper and lower swingarm protector, billet oil cap, and thats pretty much it.

Things I plan on... Gotta get GP shifting figured out my brain can't do it the normal way, lol. mapping, suspension (holy way too stiff batman), maybe some headlight mods... who knows!

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Welcome and Congrats!

Best way for gp shift is the shift drum--pretty straight forward, do a search here.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks :) I did a search it would be cool to see a 'how to' with some pictures (or maybe I am just a poor searcher). If I end up doing the drum I will have to make one! More costly than my $25 shift rod I had to buy on my R6 to convert it, hahaha.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Welcome!

I am thinking there have been a few people with f4's that have installed a shift drum to do the GP shift...

·
Registered
307 Posts
what's the GP Shift is like?

·
Registered
307 Posts
the first gear is up, & the 5 gears Down? beautiful. i like it. tnx so much Sir

·
Registered
307 Posts
therefore i have to change the whole gears? is this right?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the pics those are great! I might just do rear-sets with the linkage. I really dont like the footpegs on the Brutale they are really really slippery when they get wet! The linkage will add some play in there but its been fine on all my other bikes I think it will work just fine on my Brutale :) I love this bike by the way.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Spidi, welcome...

Those are my pics, as you probably have noticed that once the cassette was out, there weren't many more detailed pics available, simply because I was too focused on the task at hand.

On my R6 I have a reverse linkage Graves' fully adjustable rearset, but on my MV I decided to do the drum because of functionality, $$$ and aesthetics.

if you go the shift drum route, do talk to a MV dealer and have them give you a quote on the labor charge, even if they charge 3-4 (X $80) hours, plus the shift drum (($120) it is still cheaper than buying an after market rearset with the linkage ($400+), not to mention it looks better... again if you want extra adjustability of an after market rearset/foot pegs, then you can go the after market rearset route.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know how it is with the project pictures. I usually get too involved to stop and take pictures as well. I need an assistant, haha.

If I go the drum route I will install it. I feel pretty comfortable tearing things apart and putting em back together... although this would be the most expensive bike i've torn apart. I might do the rear-sets because if I ever do sell it... it is much easier to sell with the stock 1 down 5 up pattern... I just sold a motorcycle and I go so tired of explaining what GP shifting was, lol. I ended up converting it back to stock.

·
Registered
284 Posts
welcome to the forum sir. i've left your bike warming up for you in the garage sir. anything else the master requires?

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
I had the drum put in a little bit ago. Awesome.
Much easier to use, however getting used to it is a different story.
I was at the track coming out of a second gear corner, shifting up to third at the redline when I down shifted to first! :ahhh:
I had to go in and clean the little turd nugget that popped out. :jsm:

Go with the drum.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Some good pictures in Ben's gallery. He's missing a few key ones, like how to install the thrust washer. HAHAHAHAHA!

Ok, that's probably funny to like 2 people on this message board. Ben & myself.

To answer the question about the tranny, none of the gears are changed - only the shift drum itself is swapped out.

Alex

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Some good pictures in Ben's gallery. He's missing a few key ones, like how to install the thrust washer. HAHAHAHAHA!

Ok, that's probably funny to like 2 people on this message board. Ben & myself.

To answer the question about the tranny, none of the gears are changed - only the shift drum itself is swapped out.

Alex
:laughing::D:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts