MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, I currently ride a Monster 796 and I am thinking of making the switch to either the Rivale or Dragster.
I am quite tall (6'1) so I even considered the Hypermotard, but the 800s from Agusta are awesome!

I particularly liked the Dragster, as the riding position on the Rivale seemed to me a bit too forward, in some ways.

can someone explain to me if the tweaks you can make to the riding modes include BHP? can I limit it down to, say, 100 BHP? Ducati does this for the "urban" mode in the new bikes.

any opinion as to which bike would be more suited for me, Rivale or Dragster, is welcome. I mainly ride in town and don't do touring.
I should be able to test the dragster next week. but the shop doesn't have a rivale demonstrator, sadly.

cheers
Fed

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Can you get a demo ride or have you risen a hypermotard? At least it will give you an idea or not if you like that style of bike? Be aware the Rivale does have a pretty poor tank range, something like 70miles apparently.

I've ridden all three and got a Brutale 800, I found the Rivale too high for me, could barely touch the ground at 5'8" also thought the opposite to you about being too forward on the bike, I didn't feel i could get my weight over the bars as easily which I prefer. The Dragsters wider rear tyre makes steering slower, I prefer the more flickable Brutale, also you can't shift your body around so easily in the seat as you can on the Brutale, I like to move around on the bike and not sit static in one place.

As for the power, you have the three modes plus custom. I'm not sure if RAIN mode limits the power or just smooths the delivery so its less frantic and switches the TC to max? There is certainly no custom map option to limit the bhp, you can limit the revs but it only knocks it back 1000rpm and by then the front wheels pointing to the sky anyway :laughing:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you get a demo ride or have you risen a hypermotard? At least it will give you an idea or not if you like that style of bike? Be aware the Rivale does have a pretty poor tank range, something like 70miles apparently.
thank you. I did try the Hyper extensively, and fell in love with it. but then decided to keep the M796 for one more year, until this mate told me about the Agusta.... decisions, decisions...

I heard about the small tank of the rivale, something I am used to, give the M796 ABS has a similar range, not great...
I will try the Dragster, but the guy @ Agusta says a test bike for the Rivale might be months away...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I didn't get to test ride my Brutale at all as last year demo bikes were very few and far between over here. Just took the chance on the basis of sitting on it in the showroom and other real world owners reviews. If you liked the Hyper then I think you'll like the Rivale especially if you fancy a change from the classic naked style bike of the monster?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The R rain mode does knock the bhp below 100, and of course limits engine braking effect smooths the throttle response and makes it fairly tame. Couple of presses of the map button again and the fun begins. lol.

jimboF4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Is it true that the short rear end means you get pretty much a trail of mud on your back when riding in the rain?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I know I do on my Brutale, I have fixed that though by taking the car when it's wet ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
^^ lol :)

·
Registered
5,145 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Italia (nice nickname btw). But I can't really see these pics unfortunately. How tall are u if I can ask?

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Fed, here is the site where you can put in your height and inseam, and get ergonomic measurements for most bikes. http://cycle-ergo.com/

Or, you can open each of the three images above in separate tabs and they will show up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi!
I have tried both bikes, Dragster and Rivale.
I'm 190cm and the Rivale was nice, but the riding position was not for me, i'm more of a street fighter rider :)
The Rivale felt more, aggressive than the Dragster, but, again, the riding position got me feel like i had no control of the Rivale :D
The Dragster feels more cramped, not that roomy in the saddle. But the riding position fits me better.
Try both if you can :) But if you like the Hypermotard, i think you would love the Rivale :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi!
I have tried both bikes, Dragster and Rivale.
I'm 190cm and the Rivale was nice, but the riding position was not for me, i'm more of a street fighter rider :)
The Rivale felt more, aggressive than the Dragster, but, again, the riding position got me feel like i had no control of the Rivale :D
The Dragster feels more cramped, not that roomy in the saddle. But the riding position fits me better.
Try both if you can :) But if you like the Hypermotard, i think you would love the Rivale :)
interesting as we are the same height. I did like the Hyper but sometimes it felt even too upright, and judging by the website the Rivale is even more vertical. I wonder if the Dragster is more similar to the Monster riding position or to the Hyper, I presume the first one.

does anyone know if it's possible to fit an alarm to the MV agusta (meaning an OEM alarm)? as much as I don't buy a bike like this for practicality I still wonder if both the Rivale and Dragster would be a total mess to ride in the rain?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi!
I ride a old Speed Triple, and the Dragster feels more like that, but the S3 is more aggressive riding position, more forward lean than the Dragster, but that could be the fat bar, it's a bit wider than normal :)
I like the Dragster.
Have you tyre done yet?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts