MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been browsing the forum for about 4 months. We ever since I knew what my next bike will be. I come from a long line of Japanese bikes. I had about 7 of them. I fell in love with this bike because I met all my needs. After my first test ride it confirmed that this is the bike I want and need. Which is very hard to find now days. I just need to get use the particular engine sound, specially at idle. Even my wife says it sound weak. I do know for fact that is not weak. I do have a few questions.
1. The bike seems to always run hot. Always stays above the half way mark on the temperature gauge. Is this normal?
2. The bottom of my leg are bake from engine heat. Is this normal?
3. In lower RPM the engine sound like there is something loose internally. Specially when I'm slipping the clutch. Is this normal?
4. The windshield is becoming a little hard to move with time. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ok-from my experience (posting from my mobile so apologies if I get the answers in the wrong order)
1. Yes, mine usually runs just past the half way mark on the temperature gauge, up to about two thirds in traffic when the fan cuts in.
2. Engine does sound rough at lower revs, but this reduces after 1000 miles
3. Never noticed any issue with hot legs
4. Haven't had any problems with the screen adjustment getter stiffer, mine has done nearly 6000 miles now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok-from my experience (posting from my mobile so apologies if I get the answers in the wrong order)
1. Yes, mine usually runs just past the half way mark on the temperature gauge, up to about two thirds in traffic when the fan cuts in.
2. Engine does sound rough at lower revs, but this reduces after 1000 miles
3. Never noticed any issue with hot legs
4. Haven't had any problems with the screen adjustment getter stiffer, mine has done nearly 6000 miles now.

Thanks

Definitely gets my calves hot. Proved again today in another 200 mile loop. I guess ill have the dealer take a look at the windshield.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
1/ Mine runs a bit cooler, just below half way up the gauge but very quickly up to just over if in traffic or town. These are UK and a recent tour in Northern Spain. Higher ambient temperature there didn't seem to make much difference but Vagas is probably much warmer still.

2/ I do notice a little heat around town, especially when the fan kicks in.

3/ I know what you mean by that noise, it's either significantly reduced or I've gotten used to it or adapted my riding style to minimise it.

4/ No issues with screen movement at just over 3000 miles. The mechanism is relatively simple if you removed a few fairing parts, clean and maybe some teflon lube? ISTR that removing the screen and the strip immediately below it reveals the mechanism.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Have a look at this schematic, the plates #10 and #11, accessible from inside the fairing, provide access to the sliding part of the screen adjuster. A clean and a little Teflon lubricant might help to free up your screen movement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had the screen seize up on occasion , I greased it etc, didn't make any difference to mine, it's still difficult to move, Fortunately I fitted the Puig screen and I no longer need the adjustment , Perhaps get the dealer to look at it on the next service,
Never noticed getting hot legs , perhaps I would if we ever had any hot weather in the UK ,LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
fact that is not weak. I do have a few questions.
1. The bike seems to always run hot. Always stays above the half way mark on the temperature gauge. Is this normal?
2. The bottom of my leg are bake from engine heat. Is this normal?
3. In lower RPM the engine sound like there is something loose internally. Specially when I'm slipping the clutch. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help.
1. These tend to run hot, particularly in traffic. On the freeway mine will usually be at the halfway point, maybe a little below if I'm cruising along in clean air. Check the coolant level in the expansion tanks but DO NOT fill above the min line. If you do it'll start puking coolant and you may cycle some out of the radiator and get air in the system.

2. I actually don't get a lot of heat from the bike, and that is even riding in 90-100F. Not nearly the heat that I got from my Triumph triple or the Aprilia twin.

3. If you're talking about taking off from 1st, yes, it makes a clattering racket. If you're getting the sound in other gears than you're short shifting - get higher into the rev range.

4. I never move the windshield so not something I've run into. I find that low gives me a clean stream of air, high gives turbulence. Neither gives me a quiet ride so I treat it more like a naked bike.

If you want to get rid of the weak sound, put a set of pipes on it (I have QDs). It sounds way better and also seems to rev a bit freer. In addition, I found the engine gets better with more miles. It is smooth as silk now with 5K miles on it. But it is still at its core a race engine so it likes to be wrung out. It is the opposite of an old boxer twin that grunts happily along at 2K rpm. I find it prefers to be at 4-5K and above.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Elvisto
Mine has 4200 km now and I agree with Bumpkin's answer.
This is a great bike and I don't miss my ducati multistrada 620 !
Enjoy it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. Coming form a 2011 Ninja 1000 I have the get used to the sound and feeling of the TVL. So far loving the ride. I wish I can spent more time riding. Put over 400 miles my first weekend with the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first post here.

Loving my TVL. My biggest complaint about it (other than not getting to ride it enough), is the heat it throws off when the air is above 75 F. Yesterday was a rare hot day in San Francisco, and my left leg was becoming osso buco when stopped in traffic. I assume that's just how the bike is. Noticed it on my test ride as well. Since most of my riding is along the NorCal coast, it's not a big issue. If I lived in a warmer climate, I don't know, it might be a deal breaker.

It's not the hottest-running bike I've owned, but it's far from being the coolest.

The gravelly sounding vibes when taking off seem to be abating as the engine breaks in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses. I live in Las Vegas and as you all know is hot. Today I rode around lake Mead for about 100 miles. My engine overheating warning came on about 7 times during my run. I can hear the fan running but it sounded like the fan was surging every few seconds. The light went away after about 30 seconds. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi llevero,
well the Temp in Las Vegas is around 100°F (37°C) it is nice and yes a bit warm :)
But the engine overheating warning should not come on. What's about when it is in the 85-89°F comes it on as well?
I guess you have some air in the system!! You should let check this from your dealer soon! It was really hot here as well (87°F) and I drove about 180 miles in this weather condition without any problems. While I'm driving the gauge shows just under half. In traffic it goes just a bit over half and the fan kicks in. At this point it will get hot around the legs :) But the engine overheating warning never came up!!

Greetings from Hamburg /Germany (at the moment 85°F :) )

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi llevero,
well the Temp in Las Vegas is around 100°F (37°C) it is nice and yes a bit warm :)
But the engine overheating warning should not come on. What's about when it is in the 85-89°F comes it on as well?
I guess you have some air in the system!! You should let check this from your dealer soon! It was really hot here as well (87°F) and I drove about 180 miles in this weather condition without any problems. While I'm driving the gauge shows just under half. In traffic it goes just a bit over half and the fan kicks in. At this point it will get hot around the legs :) But the engine overheating warning never came up!!

Greetings from Hamburg /Germany (at the moment 85°F :) )

Gero

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely take it to the dealer. Wish it was 87 degrees here.

In another note. I lived in Germany for 5 years back in 1998. Loved it and loved the riding. Had a GSXR 750 back then and we did a lot of multi day rides. Greetings from HOT Las Vegas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts