MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
After being a Ducati 748/853 owner for seven years, I finally added my other dream bike to my garage. After much deliberation, reading, more deliberation, etc. I just this morning put a deposit down on a used (barely) 2000 year F4 mono.

The bike is mint condition, with barely 1500 miles on it, having apparently been part of an enthusiasts indoor collection. I gave the bike a thorough look over and it appears as good as it claims to be. All the bolts, etc. stil have the factory paint dab, original tyres, no marks on the V-piece, etc.

So, are there any things I should have done immediately? How about recalls to check, etc. The dealer (not an MV agent) wasn't aware if there were any, and had no documentation to indicate they might have been done.

I'm so excited! I know I should have tried to find an Evo motor'd bike, but they're just that bit beyond my reach right now. I guess I better go outside and break the news to the Ducati that I've started seeing another woman...

TCW

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Welcome and congrats, you will be happy. Have you ridden the/an F4 before?

I'm not sure about any recalls but I do believe that this model had trouble with the rear brake fading after it getting hot but this can be resolved by relocating the reservoir. Check out the MV FAQ which is put together by one of the members here, it is a wealth of MV information. Here is the link and you can also get there via the links at the top of the page.

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/

I'm sure some of the guys will be able to answer your questions for you.

·
Living the Dream
2,760 Posts
Welcome and congrats on buying the best motorcycle on the road!! Also welcome to this great community or riders. :koolaid: (i just wanted to use this great smiley)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hello and Welcome, I have heard of the recalls for the early bikes (2000-2001) had
front brake problems such as the front m/c. I believe also that the side kick stand had the problem of the kick stand breaking and the bike falling down.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! If you've never ridden an MV before, it will blow your mind. I just got mine a little over a month ago and all I can say is that you'll love it! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I own a 2000 and no issues at all. Had the front brake recall done and oil filter eventhough neither ever gave me any trouble at all. If the filter is black and with a strap arround it, it's been done...I personally think that this whole "got to have the Evo2" is blown out of proportion, my "non-EVO" engine is just as good unless you are a GP rider going for the podium it is really just talk and a decal on the seat....as far as the retractable stand, just buy the Ducati part (less than $10) and it will convert the self retracting into a non-self-retracting with no modification or cutting or rigging of any kind...and speaking about rigging and home-made "mods", please I know it's your bike, but please no stickers, chopping fenders, or putting turn signals and license plate where they don't belong...believe me, Tamburini knows better, I crinch everytime I see stuff like that...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi!
I'm a 2000 mono owner too, had all the recall previously made.
Just check oils, brakes and change (surely) too old tyres...and enjoy 8)

·
Registered
367 Posts
b42day said:
...and speaking about rigging and home-made "mods", please I know it's your bike, but please no stickers, chopping fenders, or putting turn signals and license plate where they don't belong...believe me, Tamburini knows better, I crinch everytime I see stuff like that...
Not too sure that Tamburini really wanted to put a number plate holder on it. Especially some plates, you have to cringe at those plates the guys have to have in europe. :shocker:

The rear blinkers look a bit of an after thought to me also, like the front ones are so intergrated. Unlike many japenese bikes.
Can't decide if I'll do anything thou, I usually mull over things for 6 months 1st ;)

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
please I know it's your bike, but please no stickers, chopping fenders, or putting turn signals and license plate where they don't belong
Hey, I'm ugly enough sitting on it on my own to ruin Tamburini's dream...

1 day to go... just sorted my insurance. £356 fully-comp (all perils) for a two-bike policy including the 748. Not bad, eh?

Si

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and change (surely) too old tyres
What does everyone else think about that? The dealer reckons the tyres will be ok, but I'm a bit doubtful. Don't they loose their elasticity and go a bit crumbly? They look so new (still got the spiky hairs on) but are six years old.

Si

·
Registered
878 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
What does everyone else think about that? The dealer reckons the tyres will be ok, but I'm a bit doubtful. Don't they loose their elasticity and go a bit crumbly? They look so new (still got the spiky hairs on) but are six years old.

Si
A friend bought a 1995 Ducati 916 in mint condition with all the carbon upgrades, with only 1400 miles on it in 2003 or 2004. It still had the original tires. The first corner he took where he ran over the center line turttles, he dropped the bike while going 30mph...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts