MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've had this account for over a year and could never post - I finally figured out there are rules that I need to post three times in this section first.

I went into the local Ducati store last June to pick up a 2018 Monster 821, and left with my brand new 2017 Brutale 800 instead. It seemed like a no brainer for an extra thousand bucks. I love the bike, but I've never had this many problems with any vehicle I've ever owned - new or used. So needless to say, I've spent countless hours reading but unable to post in the forums here.

Big shout out to all those posting useful stuff in here - and there are many.

If anyone in the Tampa area ever wants to ride and/or wrench, let me know!

Cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Hello and welcome,

Post some pictures of the bike. We'd love to see it.
Just drag the photo from the folder its in to underneath the quick reply box.

What issues are you having? Maybe some of us have an answer for you.

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
Welcome to the family...a bit belatedly !!

Hope you got your issues all resolved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi!

Well, I think the problem is this is my 11th-ish bike, and I'm just used to working with vanilla brands where there are hundreds of thousands of people with the same bike and countless sources of information. With this guy, I'm always trying to piece together information from different manuals and websites and even from different MV models that likely share components. For instance, trying to find out the oil capacity for my bike was crazy. Nobody with a 2017 Brutale 800 has posted that online, it isn't in the owner's manual, and I couldn't find a shop manual for it. I saw some people online saying 3.2L for changing the filter and draining the oil cooler on an F3 on this forum, but that puts me WAY overfilled. I also saw something else in the shop manual for a Brutale 675 to go for 2.5L - which I guess is closer in relation to mine despite the displacement? So now I'm just draining a little after every ride and not revving it too hard until that drops into the safe zone.

The bike leaks fuel like crazy through the overflow line, and my wife wants me to get rid of it because of the smell. There's just a puddle of fuel after I park it every time. I took the evap can off last weekend, but it didn't fix the leak issue. Now I'm suspecting that the tank internal lines are blown which I'll test later today. It just seems like a crazy issue to have for something so new.

The bike looks incredible, the sound it makes at wide-open-throttle is absolutely sublime, and the quick-shifter if immensely satisfying - but I can't fully enjoy it because I'm just worrying about all the things that could fail next if I'm having this much trouble already.

The owner's manual nor any of the PDF's on the included thumb drive lists basic stuff like how to adjust the chain with a single sided swing arm, oil capacity - forget about procedures and torque specs, or any genuinely useful maintenance info. It all just says, "go visit your local MV Dealer". Super frustrating. Anyway - now that I can actually post on the forums instead of just scrounging around for info, I think my ownership experience will improve. /RantComplete

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome. You are about to get a diagnosis and a treatment plan.

For Free!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Search through 3 cylinder maintenance sector and look for sticky saying about manuals.
Donsy provided lots of manuals from all kinds of models.
You'll find what you need there.

You probably have either a faulty fuel connector thats causing the leak. Or its not pressed in propperly.
(I myself had a fuel leak aswell, bought from brand new, heavy fuel smell, but no puddle) so lift tank and see if all connection hoses and connectors are fitted propperly.
The dealer said he used some sort of foam to stop the leak.

As for not finding how much oil is used, that is something I cannot consider an issue.
These bikes come with an oil cooler. And some people drain the cooler, some dont so you get mixed results.
Without draining oil cooler, between 2.0-2.5 bottles of 1 liter are used.
When checking oil level screw dip stick fully INTO the oil pan when checking.

Also if you check your coolant resorvoir, you'll see its filled to MIN level. Dont panic, this is normal and recommended level.
If you fill the resorvoir to 50% and higher she'll spill out coolant when hot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Yeah - I just had the tank off when I had to remove the Evap can. It leaked fuel before and it's leaking fuel after. The lines are secure under the tank, but I haven't checked/tested the lines inside the tank. My local dealer just got rid of their franchise, and the new area dealer isn't set up yet - so it's been a PITA to get local support here. I'm sure I can pay the outgoing dealer the $140/hour to fix it, but since I just bought the bike from them last year, and it should be under warranty - I can't rationalize that.

I did check Donsy's site a couple times for a '17 Brutale 800, and I don't think I came across one, but I'll double check and save it for future reference if it's out there.

That's where I'm at with the oil. I did drain the oil cooler and the lines - so I put in 2.8-ish. So now I'm just draining a bit, riding it, checking the level, and repeating until it drops to a reasonable level. I can't be over by more then 10-15%% or so, so I can't see it being a serious issue if I don't rip on it and let the oil pressure build.

I did see that note about the min level for the coolant. -So thanks for whoever originally posted about that lol. I got stuck in 45 minutes of traffic the other day, and she got sick and tossed out quite a bit of coolant from the overflow to the point where I couldn't see any left in the overflow tank at all. Since no dealer around me stocks, "Motul Motocool Factory Line" coolant, which apparently came with the bike - I flushed it and have some engine ice in her now. I figure that's accessible enough that if it starts spitting coolant again, at least I can just drop some in the side of the reserve tank without needing to flush.

Really appreciate the direction fellas and/or ladies.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome! I'd definitely have MV warranty the leaking fuel tank when the dealer opens - but since you removed the canister, they might not honor the warranty?

I didn't see a 2018 B3 800 manual on Donsy's sight - he doesn't have EVERY manual out there, quite a few are missing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but since you removed the canister, they might not honor the warranty?
Yeah that crossed my mind. It would really make me angry considering the lengths I went through to try to get the old dealer to fix it. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

I live just south of you down in Ft Myers / Naples area. I am guessing you bought her at EuroCycles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep! I got her there June of last year. They dropped the brand in May of this year. Now there's a used bike dealer in Tampa and St. Pete called NextRide that picked up the franchise.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yep! I got her there June of last year. They dropped the brand in May of this year. Now there's a used bike dealer in Tampa and St. Pete called NextRide that picked up the franchise.
I have heard of NextRide but did not know they picked up MV. Next time I get my ass up that way I will have to stop by and take a look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I plan to pop by there on Saturday when they open to gauge their willingness to replace the vent/overflow lines inside my tank under warranty.

Shoot me a text if you want to ride over. 856-571-1752.

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
I do believe the evaporative system and the gas cap drain lines are molded into your tank...There have been a few reports of cracked drain lines inside the tank...fuel will leak out whenever the tank is filled above the point of the crack.
The repair is a new fuel tank....considering the safety concerns, as well as the emissions regulation failure (you are polluting the air with vapors)...MV Agusta should be very anxious to help you resolve this problem!!!

You should call MV Agusta directly to discuss the safety aspect of your bike leaking gasoline immediately. https://mvagustausa.com/contact-us/
(215) 781-1770

Forget the evap can being removed.... That does not negate the leaking gasoline problem. Don't even bring it up.

I hope you did cap off the evap vents into the intake tracts when you pulled the canister??? The hose from the tank can just be left open (it is teh tank vent system), but the hose going to the intakes (or purge valve if equipped) needs to be sealed or you have a big intake air leak!!!

As for manuals....most of the information is the same across the 3 cylinder line-up. So except for a few model specific things you should be able to glean most of what you need as an owner from any relevant manual.

ALL MVs chain adjustment procedure is the same.....just chain free play measurements vary. Isn't there a sticker on the swing arm with the measurement spec?? Check ANY manual for the instruction on how to.

MV lists oil capacity in kilograms in the manuals. You have to convert it to liters (or quarts) to understand how much..... Google can help you with the conversion.

Reactions: falcn

·
Super Moderator
22,635 Posts
Ed just covered all of my answers above. As an owner of a 2015 Brutale that had a similar gas tank issue, I can tell you that MV replaced my tank under warranty last year. It took a bit of time to get the new tank, but it was installed with no cost to me. There is an issue with tanks developing leaks due to ethanol expansion.

Reactions: falcn and gjh800

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do believe the evaporative system and the gas cap drain lines are molded into your tank...There have been a few reports of cracked drain lines inside the tank...fuel will leak out whenever the tank is filled above the point of the crack.
The repair is a new fuel tank....considering the safety concerns, as well as the emissions regulation failure (you are polluting the air with vapors)...MV Agusta should be very anxious to help you resolve this problem!!!
Yep - that's the only think left to check. I tried last night by inflating balloons and holding them over the overflow and evap holes to see if I could hear bubbles in the tank, but I couldn't get a good seal on them.

I hope you did cap off the evap vents into the intake tracts when you pulled the canister??? The hose from the tank can just be left open (it is teh tank vent system), but the hose going to the intakes (or purge valve if equipped) needs to be sealed or you have a big intake air leak!!!
I sure did. I shot a little dab of gasket maker into the end of the line going to the intake tract, crewed an M5 machine screw into the rubber, then sealed it with a little gasket maker on the outside.

ALL MVs chain adjustment procedure is the same.....just chain free play measurements vary. Isn't there a sticker on the swing arm with the measurement spec?? Check ANY manual for the instruction on how to.
Yeah - I was able to find a workshop manual to get that. I'm just shocked it wasn't in the maintenance manual that my bike came with, nor the owners manual.

MV lists oil capacity in kilograms in the manuals. You have to convert it to liters (or quarts) to understand how much..... Google can help you with the conversion.
Same as above with the chain. It just seems like a bit of vehicular specific knowledge that's come with every owners manual for every other vehicle I've ever owned. Then I wasn't sure if I needed the workshop manual for an F3 since they share the same engine or a Brutale even though it comes with two different engines. Regardless, I just kept draining it until it fell into spec. Just wasted a little oil, but I got her there eventually :grin2:

Thanks for the detailed response! I'm going to the new MV dealer Saturday morning and letting them know about my fuel leak and stinky garage/house. I think if this doesn't get fixed within the next week or two, the wife is going to make it an "outside bike".

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
May I suggest you ALSO contact MV Agusta USA and let them know about your POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD from a gas tank leaking...????!!!!

Seriously, your house could go up in flames. It has happened with other products I am familiar with.
There have been a few recalls for manufacturing defects which created gasoline leaks on various brands of motorsports products.

They should be very anxious to get your problem resolved. Your dealer may not feel the sense of urgency required.

On anther note...my MV owners manuals included instructions for chain adjustment and oil capacities..... Both of them.
I would be surprised to find that basic service information missing.

Reactions: falcn

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To be clear, I was talking about the paper owner's manual the bike came with along with the "maintenance manual" that came on the thumb drive. Neither had that information. I'll screen shot where it says to just take it to the dealer later.
More to the point, I did reach out directly to MV per everyone's suggestion, and to their credit they did jump right at it. They had a tow truck at my house Saturday (the next day) to tow it to Sky Motorsports in Orlando. I haven't heard back from them yet with any diagnosis, although I'm 100% confident it's the lines that run from the cap to the bottom of the tank. Hopefully, a new tank won't take forever. The weather is about to get prime down here. -Well at least it stopped raining everyday anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts