MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own an MV Agusta F3 800 2018 model in UAE which has done around 11000 kms. When riding on the highway at 118 km/h on 6th gear, the bike suddenly stopped in the middle of the highway. Then took it to the MV Agusta service center, and they found out that one of the valve broke, fell into the cylinder and the engine got jammed. Currently, the bike is out of warranty. Does any have smilar experience with latest MV Agusta 800s and Does any have any suggestion about the same.

·
Premium Member
BMW HP4 Carbon 2013, ZX10R Gen 1 2004, F3 800 2017
111 Posts
Nightmare, I can't help you but I've bought the same model 1 year older. Does it have a full dealer service history, if so would MV not assist ?

2017 F3 800, HP4 Comp, ZX10R

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nightmare, I can't help you but I've bought the same model 1 year older. Does it have a full dealer service history, if so would MV not assist ?

Yes. I does have MV full service history. We are trying for a good will warranty from MV factory. However, i am still wating for a postive reply from them. This is the first time i am hearing such kind of an issue. I think this something to do with MV Agusta's engineering and so i expect them to support in this issue.

·
Registered
Mv Agusta Dragster RR 2019
111 Posts
Yes. I does have MV full service history. We are trying for a good will warranty from MV factory. However, i am still wating for a postive reply from them. This is the first time i am hearing such kind of an issue. I think this something to do with MV Agusta's engineering and so i expect them to support in this issue.
I think it will be covered...
Unfortunately It is a very well know issue that THEY are aware of.
It has been happening for years.... on the latest engines the main and more frequent cause is BAD valve guides.
The material used is too soft and after a while it gets too much play and eventually the valve falls. A disaster like yours was about to happen to me as well !!
Fortunately a lost of compression to cylinder #3 leaded to a bad starting procedure raising an alarm to be diagnosed.
I just got a new head for a defective GUIDE....15000Km/9000miles. The positive news is that took "only" a month...

·
Registered
Mv Agusta Dragster RR 2019
111 Posts
Also though they are going to analyze your ECU looking for any over revs and other info that will show how you used or ABUSED the bike....
If they find signs of the latter, you might kiss their "good will" goodbye

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also though they are going to analyze your ECU looking for any over revs and other info that will show how you used or ABUSED the bike....
If they find signs of the latter, you might kiss their "good will" goodbye
Till date i have not even hit the tracks and the max RPM i have gone is only 10000. I have neither abused the bike nor have done any modifications to the bike. I hope they check and approve the replacement

·
Wing Nut
21,257 Posts
Welcome to the family @sibiv59 !! Sorry to hear of your engine failure. How is the dealer where you are? Does he sell and service many MV Agustas?
I hope the factory will take care of you. You might consider sending the factory a message directly, asking nicely if they will help with repairs.

Reactions: sibiv59

·
Registered
F3 800 (2014), Ducati Monster 1100 Evo
17 Posts
Hey,

had that problem on my F3 800 (2014) last year. It‘s a disaster based on technical issue already written above or something like. Most people i talked to think it’s a problem of the valve springs.

Hopefully the piston etc. is ok, like mine was. Valve touched the piston, deviated and slipped of the center of the bucket tappet, but didn‘t break or fell inside. I bought a new head, fixed it with a friend and the F3 is running again.
Otherwise you‘ll need another engine.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Wow looks like you caught it soon enough there's hardly any damage on the bottom end at least from what I can see in these pictures. So maybe just an updated head and components to get you back running?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same driving situation like the discussion starter had. 6 gear and easy cruising on the highway back home from a tour with the dudes. Fortunately there was a exit some meters far and switched off immediately. Had luck, but was truly not cheap anyway.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem. I spent 6 years in Dubai running the marina at the Jebel Ali Hotel. Great times. My 2007 F4R suffered a major engine problem as well, although in my case it was a cam drive sprocket bolt that broke and caused major valve damage. Hope you get satisfaction from MV. I was thinking of sending them a letter with pics of my engine but at this point it would be a waste of time and postage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the family @sibiv59 !! Sorry to hear of your engine failure. How is the dealer where you are? Does he sell and service many MV Agustas?
I hope the factory will take care of you. You might consider sending the factory a message directly, asking nicely if they will help with repairs.
Thanks Esq'z me. The dealer is good in UAE. I sent a direct email to factory and awaiting for a positive response

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Same driving situation like the discussion starter had. 6 gear and easy cruising on the highway back home from a tour with the dudes. Fortunately there was a exit some meters far and switched off immediately. Had luck, but was truly not cheap anyway.
I was stranded on the hard shoulder of the fast lane and an audi A7 just avoided me from hitting from behind. I personally think this is not worth the risk and if something would have happened to me during this technical failure, there would be no one to tell that the accident happened due to the bike's technical failure and it would have just been an accident due to the fault of the rider. Over all these years if this issue could not be solved, then i dont understand the point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Sorry to hear of your problem. I spent 6 years in Dubai running the marina at the Jebel Ali Hotel. Great times. My 2007 F4R suffered a major engine problem as well, although in my case it was a cam drive sprocket bolt that broke and caused major valve damage. Hope you get satisfaction from MV. I was thinking of sending them a letter with pics of my engine but at this point it would be a waste of time and postage.
Thanks Eric. I think whenever such things related to engineering of the bike occurs, we should highlight to the manufacturer. These kinds of things should not happen on so called high precision bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks Joe. I checked out the engine after the service technician opened the engine. The valve fell inside, hit the cylinder and bore damaged everything inside. To be exact everything inside was like powder.
Oh fuck, that‘s worst case szenario.
Hope your dealer get‘s it clear with Varese.

I involved the headquarter with some mails and they offered me a special deal for a new engine or some discount for the needed spare parts, but that was peanuts. Ok, mine was long out of warranty, so decision was take spare parts, repair with a friend or wreck the bike down and sell it in parts.

Hope the best for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks Eric. I think whenever such things related to engineering of the bike occurs, we should highlight to the manufacturer. These kinds of things should not happen on so called high precision bikes.
Of course they know about that problem, but they will never say: „yes, that problem is our construction problem.“ Otherwise they would have to replace a lot of F3 engines. 😜

·
Premium Member
BMW HP4 Carbon 2013, ZX10R Gen 1 2004, F3 800 2017
111 Posts
So looking at the pic is it a broken spring in this case, where are the Collets (Keepers) ?

Was the bike owned by you from new, maybe I missed that ?....if not it might have been thrashed relentlessly prior to purchase, if you tell me you've owned since new that won't help my or any of our concerns at all !

Since I bought my F3 I've became acutely aware of top end problems with MVs, looking at these images it's worrying to say the least.

Surely with the technology available, close tolerance machining and fancy materials how the hell does this happen with a premium brand..

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my case it was a broken spring, yes. The question is why that happens. Several ideas from a lot of different people i talked to, but nobody knows exactly. MV should know, but...

I think it’s a quality problem of the springs in case of engine speed / rpm stability over time. Spring dimension or flexibility changes and some day it breaks completely or just a little edge at one side and the disaster starts sooner or later. But that‘s just a not approved theorie of a problem a lot of people have.
Maybe the reason is the collets or other things, but in the end the valve spring is broken... and more or less „game over“.
Collets are not in the picture, but looked ok.

Bought mine used with about 16.000 km (MY2014) and all services done by a official dealer. No signs at trial run. Had to wait during a endless winter until the first real tour was possible and it broke down at the end of the first tour.

But i‘ m not the discussion starter, just wanted to help with my experience about that.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts